The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Local Hot Dog Stands!

flowercat

• Total Posts: 48
Local Hot Dog Stands! Tue, 10/28/03 10:33 AM (permalink)
Here's one for Hilldweller & Wanderingjew!

Remember The Dog House! on Merrick Road opposite Holiday Park Shopping Center (across from Bagel City)?

I barely remember The Dog House only that it only sold hot dogs with all toppings and can't recall if they sold fries too.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7410
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Local Hot Dog Stands! Tue, 10/28/03 11:27 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by flowercat

Remember The Dog House! on Merrick Road opposite Holiday Park Shopping Center (across from Bagel City)?

I barely remember The Dog House only that it only sold hot dogs with all toppings and can't recall if they sold fries too.

I think the doghouse was before my time (I'm only 38!) however I remember the Luncheonette where Wolfies' used to be. My grandfather used to take me there every Sunday after feeding the Ducks at Caamans Pond. Still the best Chocolate Malted I ever had and mostly likely will ever have!

hilldweller

• Total Posts: 168
      RE: Local Hot Dog Stands! Tue, 10/28/03 11:45 AM (permalink)
      quote:

I have a vague memory of that. I think it morphed into a candy and cigarette (candy and cigarettes! whatta combo!) store and that's what it might still be.

How about the little deli/diary right on Merrick Road at the entrance to Lakeside. They had a separate shack outside where they sold candy and stuff to kids during the school day. I think they did their darndest to keep the kids from going inside the store itself.

And then there was a real greasy spoon just down the block I believe (maybe was torn down to build a Kentucky Fried Chicken?) I remember they had a long glass display case filled with Baseball Cards and candies and what a magical treat it was to go there and able to pick something out.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
        RE: Local Hot Dog Stands! Tue, 10/28/03 11:58 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by hilldweller

How about the little deli/diary right on Merrick Road at the entrance to Lakeside. They had a separate shack outside where they sold candy and stuff to kids during the school day. I think they did their darndest to keep the kids from going inside the store itself.

You're talking about "Bucket o' Milk! It caught fire over 25 years ago. Rumor has it... the owners torched the place for the insurance money!

Oh, and the cigar store is Te Amo. I believe they are long gone too. Don't remember what it turned into. I'll have to check when I go back next month.

Flowercat, the Bagel City is now "Bagel Boss"

hilldweller

RE: Local Hot Dog Stands! Tue, 10/28/03 12:32 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by wanderingjew

You're talking about "Bucket o' Milk! It caught fire over 25 years ago. Rumor has it... the owners torched the place for the insurance money!

Oh, and the cigar store is Te Amo. I believe they are long gone too. Don't remember what it turned into. I'll have to check when I go back next month.

Bucket o' Milk! Now that name is a great one and a blast from the past! Yeah, and the Te Amo store, sort of in a no man's land by itself next to the back end of a school field.

hilldweller

RE: Local Hot Dog Stands! Tue, 10/28/03 12:36 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            And then there was a real greasy spoon just down the block I believe (maybe was torn down to build a Kentucky Fried Chicken?) I remember they had a long glass display case filled with Baseball Cards and candies and what a magical treat it was to go there and able to pick something out.

My memory's are so vague and nebulous (except for the red and white tiled outdoor seating at McDonald's!) that I'm now thinking that the greasy spoon might have been on Sunrise Highway near Merrick Ave (maybe what became the diner or a gas station?) and the place that was torn down to become Kentucky Fried Chicken was another funky old place that was replaced by "progress."

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
              RE: Local Hot Dog Stands! Tue, 10/28/03 1:18 PM (permalink)
              quote:

quote:

My memory's are so vague and nebulous (except for the red and white tiled outdoor seating at McDonald's!) that I'm now thinking that the greasy spoon might have been on Sunrise Highway near Merrick Ave (maybe what became the diner or a gas station?) and the place that was torn down to become Kentucky Fried Chicken was another funky old place that was replaced by "progress."

You might be talking about the Charcoal Chef. My mother used to take my two brothers and I there. Now we are talking over 30 years ago. By the way, the Kentucky Fried Chicken is long gone too..

flowercat

RE: Local Hot Dog Stands! Tue, 10/28/03 1:25 PM (permalink)
                There was a greasy spoon near Lakeside but I don't remember it and never went there, I know from Classmates.com that it was called Dorsey's but didn't move to Merrick until the 7th grade and my brother and sister were bounced between Lakeside and Birch as the population grew. Dorsey's was supposed to have pizza and other things and is fondly remembered by many Lakesiders.

I didn't know that the KFC was gone too.

hilldweller

RE: Local Hot Dog Stands! Tue, 10/28/03 1:38 PM (permalink)
                  quote:

There was a greasy spoon near Lakeside but I don't remember it and never went there, I know from Classmates.com that it was called Dorsey's but didn't move to Merrick until the 7th grade and my brother and sister were bounced between Lakeside and Birch as the population grew. Dorsey's was supposed to have pizza and other things and is fondly remembered by many Lakesiders.

Dorsey's! That sounds really familiar. I bet that's it. Next to Bucket O' Milk. Boy oh boy, those are two great names! Too bad there aren't national chains of "Dorsey's Greasy Spoon and Bucket o' Milk Deli-Dive"

I think KFC was replaced by another chain but I can't remember which one.

And venturing even further from Hot dogs and roadfood, how about Robinhood's when it was army-navy in front and toys in back?

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Local Hot Dog Stands! Tue, 10/28/03 1:43 PM (permalink)
                    quote:

quote:

Dorsey's! That sounds really familiar. I bet that's it. Next to Bucket O' Milk. Boy oh boy, those are two great names! Too bad there aren't national chains of "Dorsey's Greasy Spoon and Bucket o' Milk Deli-Dive"

I think KFC was replaced by another chain but I can't remember which one.

And venturing even further from Hot dogs and roadfood, how about Robinhood's when it was army-navy in front and toys in back?

Robinhood's is gone. I think it's now called Nemo's?? I believe Kentucky Fried Chicken was torn down altogether and is now an office building. As you know Violetta's moved to Sunrise Highway in the early 90's from Holiday Park. Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant that Violetta's eventually took over when it first moved to Holiday Park back in the early 70's??? I remember it used to be a burger place.

flowercat

RE: Local Hot Dog Stands! Tue, 10/28/03 4:46 PM (permalink)
                      I remember a German Deli and a Carvel being in Holiday Park (not to mention a movie theatre) but not what was there before Violetta's.

*I loved Robinhood's, it was the best place to buy jeans and school supplies.*

hilldweller

RE: Local Hot Dog Stands! Tue, 10/28/03 7:30 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by wanderingjew
                        As you know Violetta's moved to Sunrise Highway in the early 90's from Holiday Park. Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant that Violetta's eventually took over when it first moved to Holiday Park back in the early 70's??? I remember it used to be a burger place.

Violetta's was in Holiday Park in the mid-late 60's when I walked there from Lakeside during lunch. They might have moved from one storefront to another, I kinda remember that, but I think it was years later.

Freiberger

• Total Posts: 9
                          RE: Local Hot Dog Stands! Thu, 12/11/03 8:25 PM (permalink)
                          I was doing a google search for The Dog House and found this message thread. I ate at the one in Merrick on several occasions -- one of the popular items was a hot dog on a bagel. The hot dog was sliced a certain way so that when they boiled it it curved and then they served it on a bagel.

I've been trying to find information on this chain for years. I remember that there were some on Long Island and some in Florida. The logo was a dog house with two basset hounds (one on each side of the house, looking away from it.

When I went to Lakeside in the late 60s / early 70s they would let us go out for lunch (which seems like such a crazy idea now). We'd usually go to McDonalds (and then go to Fannies for candy). Or maybe Kentucky Fried Chicken. Or Bucket O' Milk.

Sometimes we'd run all the way to Holiday Park and eat at Violettas so we could check out the iguanas in the nearby pet store. Then we'd have to run all the way back to get to school on time.

I remember a few trips to Holiday Park where we'd pass the 18th Century Lounge (a crummy bar on the south side of Merrick Road), throw open the door, scream "you're all drunks" to the patrons who were there at noon and then run like hell. Ah, blessed youth.

Another restaurant I remember which is now long gone is Wetson's, which was replaced by McDonald's in the mid 60s. A Wetson's on Old Country Road became Titus Oaks Records -- a very cool record store in the days of vinal.

Bill

quote:

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com