Tastiest Frank

Author
Nightshift
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 224
2008/08/12 02:32:58 (permalink)

Tastiest Frank

Has anyone ever tried Bakers & Chefs Beef Franks?

17 Replies Related Threads

agoskillym
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2008/08/12 22:30:44 (permalink)
    There is a local hot dog cart in my area that uses them and I tried one before I got started and I wasn't too fond of them. They lack flavor. I have had several people that have stopped at my cart say how they didn't like the taste of the other guys. I use nathans and when you try them both you will taste the difference. I would rather pay the extra money for the quality. Taste is what gets people to come back. It's one of those situations..you get what you pay for. hope this helps you out.
    Nightshift
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2008/08/13 14:35:16 (permalink)
    I like Nathans but you can get it at he grocery store, I am looking for something unique.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2008/08/13 15:37:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nightshift

I like Nathans but you can get it at he grocery store, I am looking for something unique.

Well you can buy Ribs, Ham, Pork Chops and any number of other things at any store, but they are all served in Restaurants all over the country. I can understand wanting a really good product but you risk the familiarity of both the taste and brand name that many associate with a hot dog or any other product when you go with some obscure brand not normally in your area. Not to say they will never be excepted but it may take time and for a start up (that doesn't even have a cart yet) do you want to work for 2 or 3 months waiting for your customers to decide they finally like a dog they have never heard of before? It may be different if you were serving something you could point to being the biggest selling dog in NY or Chi Town but
    I'd think even that may be slightly risky. Just my thoughts.
    Jack

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2008/08/13 15:41:40 (permalink)
    Nightshift--do YOU like Baker and Chefs dog?---because it really doesn't matter what i think--and btw- i haver never had one-but if YOU like them---isnt that all you really can do--put out the best YOU can find and let the costumers decide if THEY like it? Fact is--tastes--in everything,not just hot dogs are different for different folks and different areas--i know that the coney that is really beloved here in Oklahoma really doesnt do it for me at all--no snap-mild flavor-small--but a great carrier for the much ,oved local chili topping! I'm glad that someone opened a Swanky Franks in Taleguah Ok so i can go every other month and get my fix! I really dont believe there IS a "Tastiest" frank--thee are a lot of good one though!
    Nightshift
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2008/08/13 16:13:04 (permalink)
    I see your points wanted to be refreshingly different. I never tried the bakers, just saw that my sams club has them. they also have best. never tried best brand but a lot of people here seem to like them. i personally like sabretts but i don't think there is anyone that carries them here.
    Bigmonkey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2008/12/04 19:19:38 (permalink)
    I use two brands on being National Deli they are very good steamed and grilled also Red Hot Chicago is a great dog u can find more info on them just goggle them it is a family owned company
    BR
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2008/12/05 09:54:44 (permalink)
    Since Tiki mentioned Swanky Franks in Tahlequah, Oklahoma.... I noticed that it is for sale.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2008/12/06 00:25:28 (permalink)
    Nightshift, see if your local distributor carries Kent Quality Foods brand hot dogs... Only available to commercial vendors and suppliers... http://www.kqf.com/
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2008/12/06 13:40:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic
    Nightshift, see if your local distributor carries Kent Quality Foods brand hot dogs... Only available to commercial vendors and suppliers... http://www.kqf.com/

Vic,
    That's a pretty impressive web site, have you sampled their products?
    Jack
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2008/12/07 09:54:03 (permalink)
    Jack, yes I have (otherwise I wouldn't have suggested them). Tasty product to say the least! If you ever go to a minors game at 5/3 Ballpark in Grand Rapids (home of the West Michigan Whitecaps), they're sold there.. Also, they have a big distribution area across the US, yet not sold in stores.. So when Nightshift was looking for something not available at the supermarket, this was the only lead I could think of. Also, you can search these forums, there's a hot dog vendor down south that uses them, and has nothing but good things to say about the dogs.
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2011/04/04 23:30:56 (permalink)
    bumping this thread to see if anyone has tried these dogs and can give me some input on them.....thanks
    localnet
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1064
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2011/04/05 07:01:11 (permalink)
    The Bakers and Chefs dogs? I have tried them and found them to be rather greasy and questionable on hold times. And I needed to really baby sit them as they tended to explode if slightly overcooked when steaming. I still prefer the Vienna Natural Casing dogs. They cook and hold well, but are rather pricey and difficult to come by.

Give the B&C dogs a try, but I would recommend going with a premium dog if you can get your hands on any. The few dog stands around me are all selling B&C type dogs, which is good for my business. My customers don't mind paying a premium price for a premium hot dog and have told me so on numerous occasions. They say the same about my cheese steaks which I charge three to four dollars more for than my competition.

Mike
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2011/04/05 17:10:12 (permalink)
     We use Bakers & Chefs All Beef hot  dogs. You have to simmer them or they are too salty. Unlike others on this board, we believe they were the best hot dog we taste tested when cooked in water. They hold just fine for us. Our customers say they are very good (actually customers say they are the best hot dog they've ever eaten).

We have sold these dogs in NC, GA, TX and NM. So it's not a regional thing.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2011/04/05 18:10:06 (permalink)
    Schmelly bumping this thread to see if anyone has tried these dogs and can give me some input on them.....thanks

Which dog are you talking about? After I saw the Kent's site I called them and got a sample. I have been selling them from the day I tasted them. They are awesome. I cook them on a panini grill everyday in the trailer and on my Gril Zila at events. I'll go through 2 or 3 cases in an afternoon at events, at $4.00 each no sides. I also after a long fight got my local GFS to stock them (the black Angus All Beef version). But they just keep several cases in the cooler for me not for the public which I think is strange.. If you'd do a search here I posted the link phone number, and sales managers name for Kent's Sausage in another post. If you meant the Bakers (whatever Dog) ignore this post.
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2011/04/05 18:29:08
    Schmelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2011/04/06 01:45:56 (permalink)
    DrBBQ...yea I was talking about those baker chef dogs they sell at sam's club
    localnet
    • Total Posts : 1064
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2011/04/06 02:35:43 (permalink)
    Schmelly,

I bought a DVD that someone recommended here not long ago called, "A Connecticut Hot Dog Tour" (www.ctoriginals.com). It was a very good DVD if you are a hot dogger, especially for only $9.99.

But anyways, I noticed in the DVD that all of the featured hot dog joints were using regional made brand dogs from their tri-state area. I don't recall the brand names as there were two or three popular ones, I think one was Hofman, and they seemed to be the dog of choice in your neck of the woods. Also, you do know that these companies usually offer a consumer and commercial dog, and I swear there is a difference between the two. The dogs made for restaurants/commercial always seem to taste better than what the grocery store sells under the same brand name.

If you have a meat distributor in your area I would give them a call and ask them what is their most popular selling dog and start there. You may pay a bit more but the quality of the dog will more than likely beat anything Bakers and Chef puts out and you can charge more. On your cart, play up the fact that you are using a premium brand, which will easily justify you charging more for your dogs. I hear it all the time regarding my Vienna dogs, the customers love the fact that they are getting a great tasting premium dog locally instead of the usual Sam's Club fair the hot dog joints around me sell. A good example are my chili dogs, or Coney Islands up here. The guy down the street sells them for .99 and they are nasty to say the least. I pump mine out all day long for $2.75 with no complaints to date.

And don't skimp on size, I use an 8 to 1 natural casing dog, some here use a 6 to 1 or even a 4 to 1. I like the 8 to 1's because they are bigger than the 10 and 9 to 1 dogs my competition sells, but are not so big that the toppings fall on the deck and down my customers shirts. Something else to think about... And will depend on your customers.

Mike
    post edited by localnet - 2011/04/06 04:47:40
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10220
    RE: Tastiest Frank 2011/04/06 04:19:06 (permalink)
    I'm with you Mike. I don't like a dog that does not allow enough room for condiments and especially if you get chili or coleslaw. I like a dog & bun combo that keeps everything in the bun without spilling out all over the place. To me, almost as important as the taste of the Dog & Bun used
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1