The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Taco Truck Food

GrizzlyMBear

• Total Posts: 2
Taco Truck Food Wed, 10/29/03 11:06 AM (permalink)
I am looking for recipes for the that taco trucks in california make . I now live in lousiana and can not get them here.
These was favorites of my little brother who lived in california he recently passed away and in his will he asked that I would have a dinner with food from them for him. So if any one has the recipes I thank you in advance for helping fulfill his last request

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
    RE: Taco Truck Food Wed, 10/29/03 11:15 AM (permalink)
    Hi Grizzly - sorry about your brother.

I don't know how the taco trucks in California differ from the ones here in Southeast Texas, but I know they are easily found at breakfast and lunchtime at the Farmer's markets in some places, and at most construction sites.

My Dad was in hog heaven when they built a new subdivision close to his home. He would stroll over every morning and stand in line for breakfast tacos.

I would not mind having some of the recipes myself!

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
      RE: Taco Truck Food Tue, 11/4/03 2:16 AM (permalink)
      Are you looking for something specific? Taco trucks here serve mostly tacos and burritos. Do you know what fillings he liked? You could serve soft tacos filled with carnitas and carne asada. You can search both recipes at:

www.epicurious.com

For one taco, you use 2 small warmed corn tortillas (one on top the other), add some carne asada or carnitas, a little chopped onion and chopped cilantro, and green hot sauce. You can find the "salsa verde" in cans near the enchilada sauce. If you can't find it, email me...I'll send you some.

You can serve it with "horchata", a taco truck staple. It's a rice drink that helps with the afterburn.

HORCHATA:

1 cup white (long grain) rice

4 cups milk

1/2 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Place the rice in a bowl with enough hot water to cover. Let the rice sit in the water overnight. The next day, drain off the water. (You may have to do the rest of the recipe in batches unless you have a big blender)Place 1 cup water, rice and milk in blender. Blend until the rice is totally liquified. Mix in sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Strain through cheesecloth or coffee filter. Serve with ice.

I know at a time like this, there is nothing anyone can say, but I hope we can help you out a little. If you need any hard-to-find ingredients sent to you, or suggestions for substitutions, let me know.

GrizzlyMBear

• Total Posts: 2
        RE: Taco Truck Food Tue, 11/4/03 10:13 AM (permalink)
        Thank You all for the response and best wishes
        the rice drink was one he enjoyed very much and so was the carnitas
        and I thank EliseT for the recipes I will serve them on Thanksgiving in his remembrance and thank you dearly for the heil

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com