School Pizza

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
suz1998
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
2003/10/29 15:35:59 (permalink)

School Pizza

Does anyone know if there is a source to get those square "pizzas" we used to get for lunch at school......this was about 20 years ago, but I am hoping!!

84 Replies Related Threads

Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: School Pizza 2003/10/29 16:02:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by suz1998

Does anyone know if there is a source to get those square "pizzas" we used to get for lunch at school......this was about 20 years ago, but I am hoping!!

Elio's Pizza is square, and you need look no further than your grocery freezer foods, that is, if your local stores carry Elio's...
    mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: School Pizza 2003/10/29 19:36:46 (permalink)
    Out of curiosity what is the interest in school pizza? I to fondly remember the pizza that the school cafe used to serve each Thursday. The only type that they served was cheese and sausage. It came in a cardboard container and cost one meal ticket. It was always such a treat when my parents would allow me to purchase two slices.
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: School Pizza 2003/10/29 19:37:39 (permalink)
    I'd have to agree that Elio's Pizza is pretty much the same as school pizza - perhaps a bit stingier with the alleged cheese, but that's about it. Like clothier, I found school pizza nasty; but then again, it was better than those weird cheeseburgers in the steam trays, way overcooked with oddly stale-seeming cheese and soggy buns. Man, getting out of high school was one of the best things that ever happened to me.
    brianh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: School Pizza 2003/10/30 00:35:57 (permalink)
    This is so funny- I was just talking with some old school friends the other day about school food that they missed. Mine was an octagon shaped "Taco Pizza". There was nothing "Taco" or "Pizza" about it, but I loved it. It was a very limp, cheesy mass produced item that I'm sure was very nutritious. So of course, if I could find the supplier right now, I would buy a case of it! Never had the square type you mention, but I am sure you recall it just as fondly as I do my Taco Pizza. Good luck in your search!
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: School Pizza 2003/10/30 08:03:23 (permalink)
    quote:

Suz, I don't know if you live near one, but Ledo Pizza has square pizzas, and when I had one several years ago, it was good. Go to http://www.ledopizza.com to find out if there is one near you.
    suz1998
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: School Pizza 2003/10/30 14:40:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brianh

This is so funny- I was just talking with some old school friends the other day about school food that they missed. Mine was an octagon shaped "Taco Pizza". There was nothing "Taco" or "Pizza" about it, but I loved it. It was a very limp, cheesy mass produced item that I'm sure was very nutritious. So of course, if I could find the supplier right now, I would buy a case of it! Never had the square type you mention, but I am sure you recall it just as fondly as I do my Taco Pizza. Good luck in your search!

I remember those too! At our shcool they were called "Fiestados". Funny what we remember.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: School Pizza 2003/10/30 18:35:53 (permalink)
    Tony's Pizza makes a small square individually wrapped pizza that you nuke that reminds me of school pizza from years and years ago... (Tony's is a commercially made pizza, available here in Michigan, not sure on what other states they cover).
    Oh ya, they cost about a buck twenty nine at the local 7-Eleven and gas station..
    StL Dan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: School Pizza 2005/07/08 02:12:34 (permalink)
    My mom bought a big ol' box of them from my school cafeteria one year right before summer vacation hit.

I thought I had hit the jackpot. There must've been 100 rectangles of pizza in that box.

It lasted me the whole summer despite eating 2 pieces every other day.

Gooooood stuff.
    Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: School Pizza 2005/07/08 04:08:07 (permalink)
    This might help move peeps in the right direction on this topic...I have more links but have to sort through like 50 cd-rs to find em all;)

http://www.nfsmi.org/Information/recipe_index_alpha.html

Obviously, you'd have to adjust serving size....click on the pizza with cheese only as the other links for pizza and most others seem broken.

I used to cram 2 of these nasty slices down my gullet every chance I got....Teenagers! I'd go back though....;)
    halfday
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: School Pizza 2005/07/08 09:37:39 (permalink)
    Nardone's Pizza is definitely institutional pizza. I think they are out of Pittston, PA but not sure. I tried a search on them but didn't come up with anything. I can get it at our local Giant Market.
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: School Pizza 2005/07/08 09:40:01 (permalink)
    That pizza was soooooo good. I couldn't wait to eat lunch for the first "pizza Friday" last year with my 3rd grader. Much to my disappointment the pizza was triangular and you had a choice of cheese or pep. No retangular slices with those little balls of ground beef like I so loved. I would assume all of public schools here would be serving the same type. Our middle and high schoolers get Pizza Hut brought in as an option. This thread sure makes me want to check into it. I would buy a box of the "old fashioned" 1970's - 1980's style. Have any of you ever bought the pizza kits that the schools will sell on occasion? Here it's usually the school band clubs. They're pretty tasty in my opinion. If I recall you get 6 crusts and enough sauce, cheese, pepperoni(unless you chose just cheese)6 bags for making ahead if you desire to freeze. Of course we always added extra goodies. It's great fun for the kids too.
    fredferris
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: School Pizza 2005/07/08 10:13:36 (permalink)
    Suz...see posting for Senapes below in pizza forum(see photos as well)...dont know where you are located, but I just was passing thru Hazleton and tried it...REALLY reminded me of school pizza!
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: School Pizza 2005/07/10 11:05:00 (permalink)
    I *hated* school pizza! Those rectangular pieces with anise seeds on them and the ground up mystery meat! I once went to a school friends birthday party and her parents served .......
    DRUMROLLLLLLLL.......school pizza! I think you can get it at Sam's Club as I spied it there once and said "yech". It was something you either loved or hated

Andrea
    80sman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: School Pizza 2005/08/09 00:18:51 (permalink)
    quote:

Suz, and anyoine else still interested.....I did extensive research into this very subject because me and my wife were curious too. The pizza in question appears to be Tony's pizza slices. They do come as a 4 by 6 frozen pizza and were served in hundreds of schools since the 1970's. Hope this helps. BTW, I am in contact with someone at Schwan Inc. ( they handle the pizza line) and in hopes of obtaining some of this pizza!!!

:) Bill
    80sman
    Junior Burger
    RE: School Pizza 2005/08/09 00:21:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

That pizza was soooooo good. I couldn't wait to eat lunch for the first "pizza Friday" last year with my 3rd grader. Much to my disappointment the pizza was triangular and you had a choice of cheese or pep. No retangular slices with those little balls of ground beef like I so loved. I would assume all of public schools here would be serving the same type. Our middle and high schoolers get Pizza Hut brought in as an option. This thread sure makes me want to check into it. I would buy a box of the "old fashioned" 1970's - 1980's style. Have any of you ever bought the pizza kits that the schools will sell on occasion? Here it's usually the school band clubs. They're pretty tasty in my opinion. If I recall you get 6 crusts and enough sauce, cheese, pepperoni(unless you chose just cheese)6 bags for making ahead if you desire to freeze. Of course we always added extra goodies. It's great fun for the kids too.

Yeah, I bought some liast year from the scouts. It came with as a 3-pizza kit. Sauce and sausage and cheese were all seperate. It was actually some of the best damn pizza I have ever had!!! LOL.

:) Bill
    phatnasty
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: School Pizza 2005/08/12 16:20:43 (permalink)
    yeah i called tonys pizza and they are in fact the people who make the school pizza. however you cannot purchase it unless you are a school. :-(
    flyingfoodie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: School Pizza 2005/08/29 14:33:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AndreaB

I *hated* school pizza! Those rectangular pieces with anise seeds on them and the ground up mystery meat! I once went to a school friends birthday party and her parents served .......
    DRUMROLLLLLLLL.......school pizza! I think you can get it at Sam's Club as I spied it there once and said "yech". It was something you either loved or hated

Andrea

Andrea - those seeds are fennel, not anise, and that's what makes them so unique! I LOVE school pizzas! I just emailed Tony's to ask if they can be bought. If they say only to schools, I'm going to find myself a friend at a local school cafeteria and beg to buy a case! Man, that's just not fair to deprive the world of those tasty little treats!
    AndreaB
    RE: School Pizza 2005/09/05 04:44:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by flyingfoodie

quote:
    Originally posted by AndreaB

Andrea

Andrea - those seeds are fennel, not anise, and that's what makes them so unique! I LOVE school pizzas! I just emailed Tony's to ask if they can be bought. If they say only to schools, I'm going to find myself a friend at a local school cafeteria and beg to buy a case! Man, that's just not fair to deprive the world of those tasty little treats!

Yes, you're right it was fennel and I like fennel --- but not on pizza! " /> I'm trying to remember what my school served with the pizza and I'm thinking it was green beans, fake mashed potatoes or french fries, and applesauce or a no-bake cookie. I think the only thing I hated worse than the school pizza was the school sloppy joes. lol.

Andrea
    mdsjcarr
    Junior Burger
    RE: School Pizza 2005/11/18 19:21:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by halfday

Nardone's Pizza is definitely institutional pizza. I think they are out of Pittston, PA but not sure. I tried a search on them but didn't come up with anything. I can get it at our local Giant Market.
    mdsjcarr
    Junior Burger
    RE: School Pizza 2005/11/18 19:23:59 (permalink)
    Nardone's pizza in manufactured in Hanover, Pa. Their website, http://www.nardonebros.com/ offers online ordering. This is the square pizza that is served in the area schools (at least it was 20 years ago). They still do a decent retail business.
    bigdeuce
    Junior Burger
    RE: School Pizza 2005/12/06 13:41:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brianh

Big Dave
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: School Pizza 2005/12/06 19:46:05 (permalink)
    School pizza= Drywall with Ragu and something that's supposed to be cheeze. At the time, I saw why they had a closed lunch policy. The cafeteria would have gone bankrupt.
    Rt66Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: School Pizza 2005/12/08 17:48:42 (permalink)
    Many schools indeed do serve the Tony's pizza squares. I have seen them in the past at Sams.
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: School Pizza 2005/12/14 01:32:31 (permalink)
    When I was in grammar/junior high school (1970s) our school system served Elio's cheese pizza. It was okay, could have been worse.
    Slippyfist
    Junior Burger
    RE: School Pizza 2006/03/31 22:32:57 (permalink)
    Actually bought 2 cases of these pizzas from left overs during a function at my daughters school. Ate them for a long time. mmm mmm. They wrappers on them said Tony's on them, but I have tried the commercially available Tony's squares, and they just aren't the same. If anyone finds an outlet, please post.
    Jaybomb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: School Pizza 2006/09/21 21:42:47 (permalink)
    Nardones Brother's Pizza was mentioned. That is made in a big factory in HANOVER PA, which is close to Pittston. It is a square and pretty unique pizza you can pretty much only get from a supermarket that carries Nardones. You are correct, I believe Giant carries the brand at least on the East Coast. It may be just an East Coast item, like Roy Roger's doesn't exist past the East Coast and neither does Sheetz (I don't think)

I'm actually eating Nardones pizza because I craved it, and it happens to last decently in a fridge. It's a very "nuclear" pizza... by that I mean it is best NUKED. It gets super cheesy and gooey.

Ledo's Pizza is the worst pizzeria ever. Grease tastic?
    Lastly-- Square pizza is nothing new, but your school got it's food pending location and nothing more. There isn't like a national-school-food warehousing store.
    AndreaB
    RE: School Pizza 2006/09/24 03:04:12 (permalink)
    Now, our local schools apparently get catered Papa John's pizza on Fridays. I did spy those rectangular horrors of yore again at our local Sam's Club in a big box. So, anyone who's hankering for the old school pizza should try Sam's.

Andrea
    sigmagrrl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: School Pizza 2006/09/28 13:40:58 (permalink)
    I've been dying to find out the name of the food brand we used back in my elementary school. I loved that craptastic food!
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: School Pizza 2006/10/01 12:48:25 (permalink)
    My lunch room served home made pizza (back in Sioux Rapids, Iowa in the 70's.) Two summers ago I was back visiting and ran into one of our lunch "chefs." I asked her for the recipe for the pizza they used to make and believe it or not she still had it! I make it occasionally, and every time I smell it baking it brings me back to grade school, sitting in class and smelling that pizza waft through the halls of the school shortly before lunch break...

I'll have to post the recipe sometime.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1