The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

"86'ed" ROAD FOODERS

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
"86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 8:41 AM (permalink)
Alright. The current threads were just too darned happy so here both brings a little morbidity to this forum while posing the following, general question I've been meaning to ask:

What are each of your plans to inform your roadfood.com
friends that you've been "86'ed" by the biggest line cook of them all ?

I've seen too many posts as of late that inquired about the whereabouts of this poster or that poster (including one I was going to post today to check-in on the obviously busy RedTressed) and thought about how our individual estates would be instructed to tell fellow Road Fooders that, alas, so-and-so has been "formally taken off of the menu" (thereby avoiding the never-to-be responded inquiries of "I95? I95? Anyone know where I95 is?" -- when I've actually been permanently 86'ed).

Now, in addition and just to come full circle, what kind of food do you want served at your funeral?

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
    RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 9:29 AM (permalink)
    Easy answer to that question for me; what has always been and I hope always will be done in these parts; that same great Southern home cooking I just stated made for my best ever meal; this meal consisting of the great individual dishes brought in by the more distant family members, friends, neighbors in the community, whether served at the home or at the church, as is now frequently done. No better way to go out than with loved ones having the food you loved best.

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
      RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 10:56 AM (permalink)
      Aside from having the services at Rutt's Hut, maybe I'd donate the old Taurus to the Roadfood cause.

Mayhaw Man

• Total Posts: 589
        RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 11:18 AM (permalink)
        I want a funeral just like the one I described to a journalist who queried me about food at funerals in the deep south. Below is my response:

Unfortunately I just experienced a couple of Southern Funerals. One being the death of a good old friend with a couple of kids and an "Old Uptown New Orleans" background and all of the baggage that comes with that upbringing. He was someone who would be described as an old line "wasp". He had long been suffering with The Big C and if there is such a thing as a blessing in death, this was probably it.

The other funeral was for a working class guy who lives in my small town in South Louisiana. Nice guy, good kids, the whole bit. Had a big fat heart attack and keeled over in his attic while working on his A.C. He was a South Louisiana Cajun Catholic.

I had occasion to write obits for both of them and people held both of them in high regard. I hope people speak as well of me when I go "ten toes up".

My point in talking about these guys is that regardless of social standing and religious or economic status, the food at both homes before and after the funeral was pretty much the same. By any measure if one was reviewing the meals and snacks prepared and served by friends of the deceased, they would get high marks. Part of it is that no one wants to put something substandard out on a table and have it sit like the ugly kid at the dance and the other part is that the food represents an offering of love to the family. Breads of all kinds, every kind of sweet and cake you could want and CASSEROLES.

I don't know what the deal is with casseroles and the South and funerals, but man will people bring 'em out for a funeral meal. Seafood, meat, vegetable, etc. All kinds and all sizes and shapes. At one of these events I had a shrimp and crabmeat deal that was as good as anything I have ever eaten (both the shrimp and the crabmeat were fresh within 24 hours and it was prepared by the wife of the guy who caught them)

My mother (who I called just to ask her about this) says that casseroles make sense because there is always too much food and they can easily be frozen by the bereaved family to enjoy later. I guess that makes sense because there is too much food generally. People here in my part of the South tend to go to to the homes of the family if they know them fairly well before the funeral and almost everyone has a visitation after the funeral at their home (what else are you going to do with out of town guests? After all, good manners dictate entertaining guests, even if someone has died).

Also, this being South Louisiana, there is an inordinate amount of drinking and conviviality going on as relatives end up using funerals as impromptu family reunions. As wierd as it sounds, I love funerals in my family. I will see people that I love and care about and generally don't get the opportunity to see and one othe rbonus is that people seem to have their guard down after a death and the quality of the gossip goes WAAAYYY up........" Did you hear about Aunt Lena? No? Well let me tell you, she took up with the new assistant minister from First Methodist and is acting like she is twenty years old. Her husband Hank is probably rolling over in his grave right now. I tell you what, if her Mama was alive she wouldn't be carrying on like that!"

I would like to point out that my funeral expeience among my Jewish friends in the South has been much the same. I think that there is a level of "old world" tradition that has kind of hung on. While the body is no longer laid out in the living room (which I believe is the basis for the visitations at the deceased homes), there is still a very general attitude of "what can we do to help you out?" that pervades my little part of the world. There is a very tangible feeling that someone's life should be celebrated after he has passed, instead of an overwhelming feeling of sadness at the loss. And, because good food is such an integral part of celebrations here, it just goes along that the food at funerals tends to be elaborate and made with care and love.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
          RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 11:28 AM (permalink)
          That describes the way every funeral I have attended here in Texas. Folks come before "to visit" and drink coffee, then afterwards a community meal.

A few months ago I went to a funeral in teeny-tiny Tow, TX, at Lake Buchanan. The ladies of the little community prepared a lovely meal at the little community hall.

Aside from all the casseroles (no shrimp and crab here), there were dishes of cheese grits, hominy and fritos, and taco salads, as well as several jello salads. It seems that there is always coconut or lemon cake served.

Everyone stays the whole afternoon, as Mayhaw said - mostly gossiping. As dusk falls, everyone leaves in groups for a final visit to the cemetery. Then there will usually be another gathering at the home of the dearly departed with a little drinking, more gossip, and playing and singing.

I must add that the cemetery on the hill top in Tow is one of the most beautiful and peaceful places I have ever seen.

i95

RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 11:35 AM (permalink)
            Me, I want a "Rockabilly Funeral" when I die. (With sincerest apologies to Bill Kirchen.)

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6203
              RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 11:40 AM (permalink)
              South Boston was a pretty unique place where the only thing better than a good Irish Catholic wake (yep, that's what we call 'em) was the St. Paddy's Day parade! Those Irish Catholics (now, I'm a proper Methodist) would actually STAND IN LINE to get into the wake! Afterwards there was much consumption of Guinness, Bass, Harp and Jameson's whiskey. The Irish don't care what they eat, as their national spices are salt and pepper, they adopted corned beef from the Jewish, so the food was an afterthought. When I get 86'd by the Master Chef I hope there is a feast from here to kingdom come!!! With lots of foies gras from Perigord and really good champagne! Living well is the best revenge.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 1:18 PM (permalink)
                I had the pleasure (?) of attending a Polish wake in PA not too long ago. It was held at a local fire hall and had so much food and booze it seemed like it was catered and really was better than alot of wedding receptions I had gone to. The friends and family brought enough food to last a week. Everyone said it was a typical Polish tradition to celebrate the lives of the people not the death of someone although he missed a heck of a party.

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
                  RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 2:09 PM (permalink)
                  But what would everybody's epitaphs be?

Here lies meowzart
                  A true Roadfooder at heart
                  She was done in
                  From eating crispy chicken skin

(Just for an example...)

i95

RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 3:40 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by meowzart

But what would everybody's epitaphs be?

Here lies meowzart
                    She was done in
                    From eating crispy chicken skin

(Just for an example...)

After seeing your soon-to-be infamous "Cat Box Cake" recipe (on a neighboring thread), I've taken the liberty of editing your epitaph:

Here lies meozart
                    Her resting place now covered in wisteria
                    As she died from feline fecal bacteria

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
                      RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 4:28 PM (permalink)
                      Gee whiz I95, one more thang to worry about doing after I kick the bucket. I'll out it on the list.

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
                        RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 4:29 PM (permalink)
                        I meant to say I'll PUT it on the list....

spadoman

• Total Posts: 228
                          RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 4:56 PM (permalink)
                          Since the way I plan to exit has been decided upon, my spousal unit will inform the roadfood forum that they no longer can expect to read anything from me because, well, because i'm gone.

When I get word from where ever such word comes from that I must be put in a home of some sorts, I bequeeth that I get pushed off shore in a canoe on Lake Superior.
                          Now, this lake stays cold all year long, and knowing from my days in college that hypothermia is a great way to go, I figure that I just roll overboard and let the cold lake take me.

Of course I plan on having one of those attachments on the side of the canoe and an easy starting motor, one that don't need too much pullin' to get it started in case the special purpose gets to workin' and I think I made a mistake by going out in the canoe in the first place.
                          Maybe one of those electric trolling motors with a fresh battery would be enough to get me back to shore.

Anyway, pay more attention to me, ok? I'm not ready to leave yet.

i95

RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 7:02 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by berndog

Gee whiz I95, one more thang to worry about doing after I kick the bucket. I'll out it on the list.

Sorry !

BigGlenn

RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 10:40 PM (permalink)
                              I figured out how to live forever. So there......

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                                RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Thu, 10/30/03 10:44 PM (permalink)
                                Don't really plan on going!! But if I do, my family & friends know that the only thing to do is throw one H..ll of a crab feast!!

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                                  RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Fri, 10/31/03 12:07 AM (permalink)
                                  Spadoman

Consider yourself paid attention to. Don't go yet.

Smoochy smoochy.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                    RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Fri, 10/31/03 1:04 AM (permalink)
                                    As both of my parents and my father-in-law died in South Louisiana, I'll vouch for Mayhaw Man's description of funereal follow-ups. I'll have to have the big church doings with a bishop and a few priests, of course, after which I have instructed my wife to invite everyone over to the house to eat and drink prodigiously, indeed, to great excess. As I have COPD and am pretty sure that that's what will do the job, I'll ask the same wife to encourage the guests to smoke so they can keep me company sooner! There are some advantages to planning ahead.
                                    The meal? Assuming that it isn't gruel through a tube,
                                    • For old times' sake, a pack of unfiltered Camels or something else interesting to smoke
                                    • Strip steaks from Lobel's
                                    • Clifty Farms, Harper's or MarTenn country ham
                                    • A few, but not too few, jugs of Laphroaig or Lagavulin
                                    • Maybe a little Tennessee sunshine, if Mayhaw Man's "friend" can join us
                                    • Methodist punch
                                    • White beans, greens, and cornbread made without sugar!
                                    • Karo pecan pie
                                    • fresh peach ice cream
                                    • VVSOP cognac, vintage port with apples, pears, Stilton, and crackers, and a good cigar
                                    • And, of course, I'll expect a few roadfooders to help me with the refreshments!
                                    Damn! I don't think I could fade away after that! Maybe I'll change my mind and hang around. Wheee!

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                                      RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Fri, 10/31/03 10:14 AM (permalink)
                                      I haven't seen a post from Kimchee in a long time.

Spadoman, stay out of those canoes. Isn't that how those guys got abducted by aliens?

Julia I

RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Fri, 10/31/03 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                        I'd better die in summer, because I want a big cookout down by Lake Michigan, with mass quantities of brats, hamburgers, grilled potatoes, Mistletoe salad, raw veggies with assorted dips, beer for those who like it, and gallons of Strip-and-go-nakeds for the non-beer drinkers like me. It should end with Daisy Nut Brown cake and Peacemaker cookies (both family recipes) along with S'mores. And rather than a final trip to the cemetary, I suggest a trip to the ballpark for a UWM Panthers or Milwaukee Brewers baseball game.

spadoman

RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Fri, 10/31/03 10:54 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Julia I

I'd better die in summer, because I want a big cookout down by Lake Michigan, with mass quantities of brats, hamburgers, grilled potatoes, Mistletoe salad, raw veggies with assorted dips, beer for those who like it, and gallons of Strip-and-go-nakeds for the non-beer drinkers like me. It should end with Daisy Nut Brown cake and Peacemaker cookies (both family recipes) along with S'mores. And rather than a final trip to the cemetary, I suggest a trip to the ballpark for a UWM Panthers or Milwaukee Brewers baseball game.

How about sharing those recipes! Daisy Nut Brown cake and Peacemaker cookies!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6203
                                            RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Fri, 10/31/03 11:59 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Julia I

Strip-and-go-nakeds? I don't know what it is, but when you croak have someone email me so I can check it out! Sounds like my kind of beverage. Woohoo!

dendan

• Total Posts: 479
                                              RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Fri, 10/31/03 12:07 PM (permalink)
                                              Strip-and-go-nakeds? - Recipe please

Mayhaw Man

• Total Posts: 589
                                                RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Fri, 10/31/03 2:39 PM (permalink)
                                                This thread seems to be developing into "what do you want to happen to you when you are 6X6 in the dirt.

I have put into place all of the legal work needed to be cremated. My friends (if there are any left, as I plan to outlive all of them) will sneak the bits that are left into the New Orleans Fairgrounds during the Jazz Festival and spread me equally in front of a couple of stages and in front of the booth that sells Softshell Crab Po Boys(I have eaten one (or two) every day of the Jazz Festival for twenty years). You can get them elsewhere, but they are not the same.

I already have a friend who is permanantly at the Maple Leaf Bar in New Orleans and another who (no kidding) was spread in the gardens at Jackson Square. So most of the people in my little circle have no real problem with dumping somebody at a racetrack.

KimChee43

• Total Posts: 382
                                                  RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Fri, 10/31/03 2:54 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Lone Star

I haven't seen a post from Kimchee in a long time.

Spadoman, stay out of those canoes. Isn't that how those guys got abducted by aliens?

LONESTAR: It's nice to be missed. I'm still among the living. I've been very busy lately, but I check "Roadfood" every day. Once all of the activity dies down (no pun intended), I'll be able to contribute more. I'm wishing everyone a happy and safe Halloween, too.

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
                                                    RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Fri, 10/31/03 3:16 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by clothier

We dumped my Bubbe off the Pagaoda in the middle of Reading, PA.

My grandfather was strewn to the winds off of Avalon, NJ. Then we proceeded to the White House Sub shop in Atlantic City and stuffed our selves silly in his memory.

Just remember to stand down wind.

Because of the food at the White House?

oldfrt

• Total Posts: 269
                                                      • Location: Castle Rock, CO
                                                      RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Fri, 10/31/03 6:38 PM (permalink)
                                                      I agree with some of the posts here. When I get "whaked" by the Devine ruler of the universe, I want my friends to have a good time at a "party" in my honor. (I am assuming that someone will show up in addition to my kids wanting to know what the "will" states).

I think Funeral Parlors are out of date. They should have a bar in the viewing room and play CD's or records that I like. A funeral should have Beef Sandwiches and Hot Dogs from Chicago, good music, a dance floor, invite all the relatives and ex wives and girl friends, and for every drink that someone has pour a shot of Vodka on me in the casket.

I am going to get cremated. Before the "box" is rolled into the "oven" I requested that a Chicago Hot Dog (with peppers) and Beef Sandwich (with sweet peppers) be there with a large order of good ole Chicago Perogies. If the funeral parlor allows, a side order of White Castle hamburgers (Grease could effct the oven)can be added (Appreciate that). Get this all burned up and spread these ashes over the mountains of Colorado. (It is warmer here than Chicago and the food will last longer for me).

I am in favor of the "old time" versions of Funerals vs. the "Sob Events" we have today. Remember the Good Times and celebrate the transition to a new world with the best foods and booze that Heaven can offer (there are many good chef's up there and a great barmaid I once "knew"). If they have Email up there I will continue to post and let you know where to go plus directions.

In Heaven there is the best! Good food and Bill and Hillary are not there yet. There is also no concern over being overwheight or having to take Vaigra. No SPAM (Ahhhh).

My 2 cents.

Don
                                                      Castle Rock, Colorado

spadoman

• Location: St. Paul, MN
                                                        RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Sat, 11/1/03 7:02 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by clothier

quote:
                                                        Originally posted by spadoman

When I get word from where ever such word comes from that I must be put in a home of some sorts, I bequeeth that I get pushed off shore in a canoe on Lake Superior.
                                                        Now, this lake stays cold all year long, and knowing from my days in college that hypothermia is a great way to go, I figure that I just roll overboard and let the cold lake take me.

Last time I was in da UP, we were at the Great Lakes Shipwreck Musuem (the searchers all say they'd a made Whitefish Bay if they put 15 more miles behind them), it was July, and it started to snow. I love the UP. 11 months of winter, one month of bad sledding.

Clothier, believe it or not, I make snowshoes. November 10th is the anniversary of the "Wreck" They toll the bell 29 times. All the radio stations play Gordies hit just about all day.

But the pasties are Great! (had to keep the food thread goin')

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                                                          RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Tue, 11/4/03 2:42 AM (permalink)
                                                          You'll know I'm gone because death is probably the only thing that can shut me up! That rock-a-billy funeral comment reminds me of one of my favorite rock-a-billy tunes:

When I die, don't you bury me at all
                                                          Just hang my bones up on the wall

...there's still alot of rhythm in these rockin' bones!

spadoman

• Location: St. Paul, MN
                                                            RE: "86'ed" ROAD FOODERS Wed, 11/5/03 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                                            wooden snowshoes, e-mail for more info. Hopefully I won't 86 before you do.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com