International Restaurant Row

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2008/08/18 14:55:33 (permalink)

International Restaurant Row

Today my daughter started in a new high school and I thought I'd take a walk around the neighborhood. The school is in Queens in a area called "Dutch Kills" which is a old working class neighborhood fairly close to Manhattan between Long Island City and Astoria.

Since I heard Queens was "diverse" I checked out one random street (36 Ave, between 29 and 35 Streets, which are pretty short blocks). This is what I found (and I am not kidding, I recorded it):

First, a Baskins Robbins, next door New York Bagel Shop (which also featured tortas and tortillas), Chinese place and an Italian deli.

Across the street: three Brazilian restaurants, one featuring pizza, followed by a general grocery that specialized in tamales. Next was a Venezuelan place specializing in arepas, across the street was an Italian restaurant and then a place with food from the Dominican Republic.

Ok: next block: Tequila Sunrise (featuring tapas), Greek seafood restaurant,Ecuadorian restaurant, Thai restaurant and Halal place.
Next block: French creperie, Cuban restaurant and Chinese-Mexican (?)
The last block had a (real) Irish pub, ended with "Mediterreanean and American Gourment Food" place.

I stopped in a small shop to buy a drink - the clerk was Korean, and the food listed on posters included Chicken Teriyaki,Philly sandwiches, gyros and Cuban sandwiches.

In the other direction: Bangladeshi restaurant, Italian restaurant, a place called Alladin's but had Indian food, three bakeries (Indian, Italian and Panderia), and a Chinese take-out.

In between, there were 3 new restaurants being remodeled, and three more "American cafes". There was also one Muslim mosque and three hispanic Pentcostal churches. And a few small apratments houses and sundry stores.

Well, like WOW!! This was not even a "special" neighborhood, not "known" like Jackson Heights or Flushing. I'm sure there's lots of other little "diverse" areas all over the city. And the people on the street were just as diverse! And, PS most meals were well below $15.

Now, I ask: Do any of you have these diverse restaurant enclaves? Where? What do you recommend?

14 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1