The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Poconos

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
Poconos Mon, 08/18/08 8:30 PM (permalink)
OK, so are there any good restaurants in the Pococos?

I think the heart-shaped beds, cocktail glass hot tubs and mirrored ceiling are still available in stops like "Honeymoon Haven"!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4468
    RE: Poconos Tue, 08/19/08 8:19 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

OK, so are there any good restaurants in the Pococos?

NO!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4468
      RE: Poconos Tue, 08/19/08 8:29 AM (permalink)
      Serious, I can't think of any dining destination that I would go out of my way for.

The Honeymoon places usually include meals in their rates.

There was one place though. Fanucci's on 611 near Scotrun. Old time family run operation. Table side Caesar Salad was the best I ever had. Made by the owners Daughter. Many years ago I saw they filed for bankruptcy. Never tried them again.

Sneetch

• Total Posts: 393
        RE: Poconos Tue, 08/19/08 9:32 AM (permalink)
        we've been enjoying the food at Jagermeister in the town of Mountainhome - someone else mentioned this restaurant recently in the forums, and i agree with their positive review. the funky old building is comfortable, and manages to be a little Poconos tacky but eclectic at the same time. not a real fan of German food, i wasn't expecting much - i was happily surprised! my plate of lemon-garnished weinershnitzel was lightly breaded,pan-fried and tender. the potato pancakes that came with it were delightfully crunchy and tasted of onions. a side of red cabbage was tasty as well. my BF had the jagerschnitzel (same as weinerschnitzel but in a sherry-inspired sauce with mushroooms and onions) and spaetzle - absolutely delicious! tender veal, little spaetzle nuggets soaked up all that great sauce - yes, he tried to lick his plate! we've returned since and enjoyed every meal we've had.
        Jagermeister is located on Route 390 in Mountainhome. 570-595-7525
        They seem to be open currently for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and they have a full-service bar.

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
          RE: Poconos Tue, 08/19/08 10:00 AM (permalink)
          Skytop Lodge. It's formal, expensive, and traditional, but also excellent.

Barley Creek Brew Pub; it's OK. Same with Pocono Brew Pub. Decent enough.

For pies, there is an OUTSTANDING bakery in Delaware Water Gap, the Village Farmer and Bakery on Rt 611. Pies simply do not get better than these.

On the other end of the Poconos, in White Haven, Charlie Weaver's is the epitome of the heart of Roadfood, a local place with great food.

Those are the places I can think of, that I remember

Kaczmark

• Total Posts: 73
            RE: Poconos Tue, 08/19/08 10:03 AM (permalink)
            Nick's Lake House right on Lake Harmony has really good food (and a great view of the sunset across the lake)

russ2304

• Total Posts: 261
              RE: Poconos Tue, 08/19/08 11:49 AM (permalink)
              Been awhile and no names spring readily to mind but check out Main Street of both Stroudsburg and EastStroudsburg seem to remember some interesting and good eateries but nothing off the charts.Will be interested to see how this thread develops as we are planning Xmas in Poconos--Camelback area. Also,still lookin'for eats in Mt. Snow ,Vt over Labor Day!

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                RE: Poconos Tue, 08/19/08 11:54 AM (permalink)
                One of our ladies posted some extensive reviews on the poconoc a couple years bad. I was thinking it was Ellen but cant be sure. Can some one post the link?
                Thanks

brittneal

RE: Poconos Tue, 08/19/08 11:56 AM (permalink)
                  One of our ladies posted some extensive reviews on the poconoc a couple years bad. I was thinking it was Ellen but cant be sure. Can some one post the link?
                  Thanks

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                    RE: Poconos Tue, 08/19/08 2:03 PM (permalink)
                    Just a little outside of the Poconos, on a back road about a mile north of the I-80 bridge, is this place:

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070615/NEWS01/706150320/-1/VISGUIDE08

One of my favorite roadfood dives anywhere. Great pizza and other bar food and about as wide a variety of clientele as I've ever seen in one tavern. Only negative, it can be very smoky. Hopefully the smoking ban is coming soon to PA so I can drag my wife there again.

brookquarry

• Total Posts: 277
                      RE: Poconos Thu, 08/21/08 4:57 PM (permalink)
                      These are my reccomendations. Because we live about 10 miles south of the Poconos, they are concentrated in the Southern Pocono area.
                      1. Best diner:Snydersville Diner in Snydersville (Business Route 209 west of Stroudsburg). Very good solid diner food. They have always been known for their roast beef, but our favorite meal is their Sunday special chicken and waffles. On one plate a freshly made waffle, On another plate excellant roast chicken with gravy and stuffing (plus you get two more sides of your choice.) Roadfood at its finest and most satisfying. Snydersville also bakes their own pies, all of which are very good (BUT SEE BELOW).

2. Best pies. Mosca nailed this one with his reccomendation of the Village Farmer Bakery in Delaware water Gap. One of the best apple pies I have ever had. All of the fruit pies are very good, as is the Pecan Pie. The only weak point is their Shoefly, which is too dry for my taste.

3.Best Breakfast. Comptons Pancake House Park Street (Route 191) in Stroudsburg. My wife and I prefer their home fries to any others we've ever had (BE SURE TO GET THEM WITH ONIONS) Excellant omelets and pancakes also.

4 Second best Breakfast. Mollies on Main street in Downtown Stroudsburg. More upscale than compton's with more varied offerings.

5. Irish Pub. Siamsa. Corner of Main and 7th Stroudsburg. A truly beautiful restaurant in a converted bank. The Guinness Irish Stew and the Burgers and Sandwiches are the best bets.

6.Best Ice Cream stand. Big Star on Business 209 on the Western edge of Stroudsburg A throwback to the 6o's. Also very good GYROS.

hope this gets you satared.

PokeYerNose

• Total Posts: 24
                        RE: Poconos Thu, 08/21/08 11:14 PM (permalink)
                        I have had a home in the Poconos since 2002, and I have lived here full-time since 2005. Unlike brookquarry, I live at the northern tip of the Poconos, so my experiences are concentrated in that area.

First, let's address Stroudsburg. It has traditionally been the epicenter of the Poconos, but that has, in my opinion, changed in the last few years for several reasons, not the least of which is that it has lost a bit of its luster of late. There are still some good places to eat there, but you have to be careful.

I haven't eaten at Siamsa (pronounced SHAM' sa) yet, but I have heard good reports about it. I put it in the same category as Ned's on Ninth, which has a cult following that borders on fanaticism; however, on two different occasions I walked in the front door, only to make an immediate about-face and leave because of the thick haze of smoke and the accompanying stink of stale cigarettes. I plan to try both about a month or two after the no-smoking law goes into effect next month.

I can offer a personal recommendation of The Dansbury Depot in S'Burg. Good casual fare, some truly healthy choices, and NO SMOKING!!

Further north, in Milford, there are several opportunities for some really good food. The Dimmick Inn, at the corner of Broad and Harford, has a great atmosphere and really good food. It is in a genuinely old building, and in one spot the floor felt as if was leaning a few degrees to starboard, but that comes with the (old building) territory.

If you yearn for trendy-chic with New York Prices, then head over to the Hotel Fauchere, just about 2 blocks from The Dimmick. The food in their Delmonico Room has already attracted a wide following, and a sample of their menu can be viewed here:
                        http://www.hotelfauchere.com/dining/specials/newmenus/MENU_DelmonicoRoom0708.pdf

If you want the food but not the prices, just amble downstairs to Bar Louis. Still trendy-chic, but casual, with a different menu and much lower prices - but, the food for both Bar Louis and The Delmonico Room comes out of the same kitchen. I have eaten at Bar Louis and I can recommend it highly. Take a look at their menu here:
                        http://www.hotelfauchere.com/dining/specials/newmenus/MENU_BarLouis0408.pdf

If you are a seafood lover, head out of Milford on Route 6 West in the direction of Matamoras and Westfall. Keep your eyes open for Balch's Seafood. I have eaten there several times, and their seafood is comparable to many of the better road houses in northern New England, with very reasonable prices.

If you are a strictly-no-frills, burger and fries type, then you can't go wrong with 5 Guys Burgers. Zagat rated, has won about a gazillion mentions in Zagat and other foodie publications: http://www.fiveguys.com/menu.html . They have a location in Stroudsburg, and another one in Dickson City (north & west of S'Burg, but us locals gravitate towards Dickson City in much the same way that folks in northern New Jersey head to Paramus - namely, every store in the world is there!).

Finally, in an out-of-the-way corner of the Poconos in Lords Valley, you can take in some white-tablecloth Italian fare at the Laurel Ridge Restaurant on Route 739. Take exit 34 off of I-84 and travel about 1 1/2 miles south on Rt 739. Most of their food is pretty good, although some of it has a bit too much garlic for my tastes - but I realize that I am in the minority there.

So, between brookquarry's recommendations for the southern half of the Poconos, plus mine for the northern half, you should be able to find good stuff anywhere in the area.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                          RE: Poconos Thu, 08/21/08 11:34 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by brittneal

Thanks

Thanks, as you are probably referring to the Poconos report I did, while I was staying at Great Wolf Lodge waterpark there.
                          I'd provide the link, but I'm embarrassed to say, I'm lame at doing some of that linking stuff.

My rec's were for SMUGGLERS COVE in TANNERSVILLE (had some great beef ribs there on a Monday; it was one of their daily specials)
                          Also recommend Bailey's Steak House in Mt. Pocono. They both have the same owners, and a real good salad bar, as well. Good American food. I had a steak at Bailey's and they prided themselves on the fact that they get their beef from "Allen's of Chicago".

YES, there ARE still a few of those heart shaped champagne tubs in the rooms. They are now offered at places like CAESAR'S, which is a honeymooners and couples style resort there. They get a big premium for those type of rooms with that special champagne tub; that tub with the long glass stem on it...

Great replies, everyone!!
                          Welcome to Roadfood, poke Yer Nose!

brittneal

RE: Poconos Fri, 08/22/08 7:16 AM (permalink)
                            Ellen, If I remember there were some great Pics of the food. I seem to recall a great slab of prime rib(thats always catches my eye\britt

PokeYerNose

RE: Poconos Sat, 08/23/08 8:59 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by brookquarry

3.Best Breakfast. Comptons Pancake House Park Street (Route 191) in Stroudsburg. My wife and I prefer their home fries to any others we've ever had (BE SURE TO GET THEM WITH ONIONS) Excellant omelets and pancakes also.
                              4 Second best Breakfast. Mollies on Main street in Downtown Stroudsburg. More upscale than compton's with more varied offerings.

Many thanks to brookquarry for the suggestions! We ate at Mollie's on Friday, and it was great! We didn't get there in time for breakfast, but we had a really good lunch. Aside from the food - which was just about perfect, the service was tops, too. We hadn't planned it that way, but we walked in the door at exactly 12 Noon. The place was very busy, but the service was so fast that it was almost too good to believe!

We got to Mollie's only after trying Compton's Pancake house and leaving without ordering. We opened the door and we walked right into Pennsylvania's trademark - a wall of cigarette smoke (can you tell that stale smoke is one of my pet peeves? ). At that point, we figured that we would try Mollie's and it was a great experience. Many thanks for that recommendation.

And now for a question - have you ever tried the places on either side of Mollie's? Istanbul on one side, and Cafe East on the other. Both look good, but since we were just leaving Mollie's after a great lunch ...... well, you understand, right?

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
                                RE: Poconos Sat, 08/23/08 9:08 PM (permalink)
                                Ugh, the wall of smoke!

PA will go non-smoking this fall. Some restaurants have have already made the switch. Amen!

PokeYerNose

RE: Poconos Sat, 08/23/08 9:34 PM (permalink)
                                  Yep, I think that will definitely improve my dining experiences, stanpnepa. And, for anyone else reading this, Mollie's has already gone to no smoking for the entire restaurant!

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
                                    RE: Poconos Sat, 08/23/08 10:44 PM (permalink)
                                    I stumbled on Mollie's one late Sunday morning after hitting a nearby flea market. We arrived too late for breakfast, but had a terrific lunch.

The other place I'd recommend in Stroudsburg would be Everybody's Cafe (tapas), but I haven't been there in years either.

amini1

• Total Posts: 49
                                      RE: Poconos Wed, 08/27/08 2:41 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Sneetch

we've been enjoying the food at Jagermeister in the town of Mountainhome - someone else mentioned this restaurant recently in the forums, and i agree with their positive review. the funky old building is comfortable, and manages to be a little Poconos tacky but eclectic at the same time. not a real fan of German food, i wasn't expecting much - i was happily surprised! my plate of lemon-garnished weinershnitzel was lightly breaded,pan-fried and tender. the potato pancakes that came with it were delightfully crunchy and tasted of onions. a side of red cabbage was tasty as well. my BF had the jagerschnitzel (same as weinerschnitzel but in a sherry-inspired sauce with mushroooms and onions) and spaetzle - absolutely delicious! tender veal, little spaetzle nuggets soaked up all that great sauce - yes, he tried to lick his plate! we've returned since and enjoyed every meal we've had.
                                      Jagermeister is located on Route 390 in Mountainhome. 570-595-7525
                                      They seem to be open currently for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and they have a full-service bar.

Sneetch,

At the bottom of the hill in Canadensis there's a place called Melagrano's Pine Hollow. They make great burgers, cheesesteaks and wings. The smoke can be unbearable at times but there is a separate "dining room." I also can't stand the bathrooms. Definitely a Roadfood type place.

I didn't know PA was going no smoking. That's great news for many of the recommended places in this thread. The Poconos is filled with bars that serve home cooked food but have unbearable levels of smoke. I hope the ban not only doesn't shut some of these places but actually helps their business.

PokeYerNose

RE: Poconos Wed, 08/27/08 3:00 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by amini1

I hope the ban not only doesn't shut some of these places but actually helps their business.

It almost has to help. First, there will now be a level playing field - namely, smoking will be outlawed in ALL Pennsylvania restaurants, so that the difference between this place and, say, Mollie's which has been smoke free forever will disappear.

Second, the pro-smoking folks sometimes make the argument that smokers will just go over the border to an adjacent state that hasn't seen the light yet - but in this case, that would be New Jersey, which outlawed smoking in restaurants a long time ago.

For me personally, it means that I will now be able to try places that I have avoided in the past.

ellen4641

RE: Poconos Wed, 08/27/08 3:34 PM (permalink)
                                          About time for the non-smoking rules in PA !!
                                          It's been since April 2006 in NJ ...and it's been wonderful.

As far as places losing business, it tends to be a short sighted and short lived situation..
                                          cause more and more folks patronize the newly smoke-free establishment.
                                          And YES, even the SMOKERS adjust!!! There is some nice bonding going on between the smokers standing outside...

Dirty smelly ashtrays no more for P.A. !

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                                            RE: Poconos Wed, 08/27/08 4:33 PM (permalink)
                                            The Poconos did alot of television advertising, back in the day!

I can hear Beau-ti-ful Mt. Airy Lodge, playing in my head!

Sneetch

• Total Posts: 393
                                              RE: Poconos Wed, 08/27/08 6:59 PM (permalink)
                                              thanks for the tip, amini. we've been told to go to the Pine Hollow for steak specials, but haven't made it there yet - it's on our list!
                                              good info from all - we'll be giving Mollie's and the Snydersville diner a try at some point too...

ellen4641

• Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                                RE: Poconos Wed, 08/27/08 10:38 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Sneetch

we've been told to go to the Pine Hollow for steak specials..

Hey, did I hear "steak specials"?!? Count me in !!

ellen4641

• Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                                  RE: Poconos Wed, 08/27/08 10:41 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by CCinNJ

I can hear Beau-ti-ful Mt. Airy Lodge, playing in my head!

I'm hearing it, too, now!! (did you have to start in?? LOL)

Last week I took a road trip up to a north Jersey waterpark with sis and the kids. My littlest nephew put on a "silly songs" CD. It was fun singing along, but
                                                  I can't seem to get the "singing Polly Wolly Doodle all day" song out of my head now !!!

PokeYerNose

• Location: Lords Valley, PA
                                                    RE: Poconos Sat, 01/17/09 9:51 PM (permalink)
                                                    PokeYerNose

... Finally, in an out-of-the-way corner of the Poconos in Lords Valley, you can take in some white-tablecloth Italian fare at the Laurel Ridge Restaurant on Route 739. Take exit 34 off of I-84 and travel about 1 1/2 miles south on Rt 739 ...

I have to update this recommendation that I made a few months ago.  I ate at Laurel Ridge tonight, and the food was TERRIBLE!

I had heard from some other people that the quality of their food had gone down, but I never dreamed that it would be THAT bad!  Based upon my experience tonight, stay away from this place.

PokeYerNose

• Location: Lords Valley, PA
                                                      RE: Poconos Tue, 07/19/11 2:08 PM (permalink)
                                                      Yet another update.  The Laurel Ridge Restaurant is now closed.  They signed off on their own death warrant by lowering all of their standards.

The Dimmick in Milford is under new ownership since I recommended them.  I ate there last night, and I am taking back my recommendation.  The new owners took the level of the food down, but raised the prices.  It will be a long time before I go back there - if ever!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com