The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

White Castle

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 42 of 42
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
RE: White Castle Mon, 10/20/08 2:46 PM (permalink)
Here's the difference: First of all, Castles are not grilled. They are placed over a bed of onions, topped with buns, and steamed so that they are moist and juicy. Second, I know they are hamburgers, but they're not like any hamburgers that are cooked directly on heat.

As to your ridiculous claims about why I would not eat a hamburger from Five Guys, well, I hope you don't hurt yourself when the limb you went out on breaks and drops you to the ground.

Edit: There's one more thing: I don't even think of White Castles as hamburgers. I think of them as Castles.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
    RE: White Castle Mon, 10/20/08 2:54 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Here's the difference: First of all, Castles are not grilled. They are placed over a bed of onions, topped with buns, and steamed so that they are moist and juicy. Second, I know they are hamburgers, but they're not like any hamburgers that are cooked directly on heat.

As to your ridiculous claims about why I would not eat a hamburger from Five Guys, well, I hope you don't hurt yourself when the limb you went out on breaks and drops you to the ground.

Just making a judgment based on thread history. But, I may have cracked my skull from the fall. Tail bone is also hurting and my mouth is hurting as my foot may have landed in it too hard.

but, as per being well-done, and still tasty, I hope, from my comments and others' that it's realized that Five Guys' method of grilling, also produces a juicy burger that is not dry.

Personally, I have always been skeptical of steamed burgers, as the ones I have had were not so good. However, I'm still looking for my first White Castle experience, believe it or not, because of the Harold and Kumar movie. I'm not usually swayed by movies and pop culture on where and what to eat, but I do want to try them at White Castle's before I buy them from the freezer at Safeway.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
      RE: White Castle Mon, 10/20/08 2:55 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by fattybomatty

lee I know it's sad, but I can't put it away like I used to. 4 slyders, fries, and a coke is plenty for me. I thought about trying to double cheeseburgers, but didn't. Would two of those with the fries and coke be filling?

Fine...go for it....and enjoy!!!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
        RE: White Castle Mon, 10/20/08 2:58 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
        Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Just making a judgment based on thread history. But, I may have cracked my skull from the fall. Tail bone is also hurting and my mouth is hurting as my foot may have landed in it too hard.

but, as per being well-done, and still tasty, I hope, from my comments and others' that it's realized that Five Guys' method of grilling, also produces a juicy burger that is not dry.

Personally, I have always been skeptical of steamed burgers, as the ones I have had were not so good. However, I'm still looking for my first White Castle experience, believe it or not, because of the Harold and Kumar movie. I'm not usually swayed by movies and pop culture on where and what to eat, but I do want to try them at White Castle's before I buy them from the freezer at Safeway.

You're so right...5 Guys burgers are very juicy...and very tasty...certainly the BEST fast(well they serve moderately fast)food burger I've ever had...fries are superb...great food for the price!!!!

fattybomatty

• Total Posts: 1017
          RE: White Castle Mon, 10/20/08 3:04 PM (permalink)
          Scorereader you may be heartbroken, as I was, to learn that the guy who plays Kumar is a vegetarian. He has never had a white castle burger before. I just can't look at him in the same light anymore. I feel so betrayed!!!

However, talking about that movie at work is what made me go satisfy my crave.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
            RE: White Castle Mon, 10/20/08 11:38 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by fattybomatty

Scorereader you may be heartbroken, as I was, to learn that the guy who plays Kumar is a vegetarian. He has never had a white castle burger before. I just can't look at him in the same light anymore. I feel so betrayed!!!

However, talking about that movie at work is what made me go satisfy my crave.

I actually heard about that before watching the movie. Still funny. He was also funny in VanWilder.

Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
              RE: White Castle Fri, 11/28/08 8:51 AM (permalink)
              I cracked up the other day...WC was offering a "Surf and Turf". A hamburger/ fish sandwich double combo. I thought it was cute to combine the two,from a marketing standpoint, but wasn't enticed to think of trying one.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
                RE: White Castle Fri, 11/28/08 10:10 AM (permalink)
                I saw that Surf and Turf thing last week. For some reason I wasn't even slightly tempted.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                  RE: White Castle Fri, 11/28/08 5:03 PM (permalink)
                  No White Castle near me either, but as long as I can find them in the freezer, 10 pack box(2 in a pack) for $9.99, I'm happy. I bought a box and made a wonderful stuffing yesterday!!!

smammone

• Total Posts: 1
                    RE: White Castle Fri, 11/28/08 8:37 PM (permalink)
                    I adore WC but am IN LOVE with The Hamburger Station, a clone of WC but so gooood. A dozen sliders on dinner rolls cut in half horizontaly and served w/sweet onion mustard and pickle. Cheese is optional. They are served in the donut type boxes. Great onion rings too. They are only in Ohio and about an hour from where I live so I don't get much occasion to indulge. Most are close to The University of Akron around here. If you are in the area and love sliders google the locations, you'll be amazed. The gyros and fish are good too. Happy eating Road Foodies!

Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
                      RE: White Castle Sat, 11/29/08 6:48 AM (permalink)
                      I'll definitely keep an eye out for the Hamburger Station when I get to Akron in about 2 weeks.
                      I've always wanted to try making dressing with WC's but never have. Do you throw in the hambuerger as well?

sirpher

• Total Posts: 7
                        RE: White Castle Fri, 12/12/08 12:30 PM (permalink)
                        White Castle memory for me - went to college in DeKalb IL (NIU) and at that time, the closest White Castle was in Aurora IL, 25 miles away. Got there and the White Castle had plexiglass between the customer and the people cooking. The plexiglass was installed because of a couple shootings in that resturant. Different meaning to the word 'dangerous' for a White Castle.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 42 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com