The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Fish in NYCity --- do U know what your eating

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
Fish in NYCity --- do U know what your eating Fri, 08/22/08 1:11 PM (permalink)
According to a NY Times article of 8/22 a great deal of fish used in sushi restaurants is not what it's supposed to be. And the same is true in fish markets. Two students, using DNA methods, proved that expensive fancy tuna in sushi is often cheap farm raised Talapia.
Roe from flying fishes (do you use a hook or a net to catch them?) is really from smelts--now that smelts fishy to me.

link---www.nytimes.com/2008/08/22/science/22fish.html

Article entitled---Fish tale has DNA hook

jaylhorner

• Total Posts: 427
    RE: Fish in NYCity --- do U know what your eating Sat, 08/23/08 4:42 PM (permalink)
    Scary!

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
      RE: Fish in NYCity --- do U know what your eating Sat, 08/23/08 4:48 PM (permalink)
      No not scary...it's NYC.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
        RE: Fish in NYCity --- do U know what your eating Sat, 08/23/08 6:09 PM (permalink)
        A (somewhat) rebuttal in another section of the same paper has restaurant chefs denying that this is the norm.

There is the rather scary quote by Mr. Notar, who oversees operations for Nobu Matsuhisa, a sushi great, who suggested that the typical sushi eater drowned his plate in so much soy sauce and wasabi that he could scarcely taste the fish (so perhaps it's not that important???). “I swear to God, there’s some people, you could put shoes over rice and they wouldn’t even know,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/nyregion/23sushi.html?ref=science

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
          RE: Fish in NYCity --- do U know what your eating Sat, 08/23/08 7:14 PM (permalink)
          NPR had the same story and apparently the fish you buy is not the fish you get a good deal of the time. Seems natural to me. Fishermen try to hook fish using deception. Fishmongers try to hook costumers...why should the method be different?

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
            RE: Fish in NYCity --- do U know what your eating Sun, 08/24/08 9:05 AM (permalink)
            I think this is fairly common thruout the industry.
            Plorida recently had a problem with grouper, people selling lesser grades of fish passing it off as grouper.
            Passing off farm raised salmon as wild caught is done quite often.
            Shrimp he he, just too many abuses in that section to even start.
            Even the lobster industry with the new banding regulations, counterfit bands or stolen ones are now showing up.
            Clams, I see many advertised as Ipswich or native, wrong in many cases.
            As the old saying goes "Let the buyer Beware" Chow Jim

Tony Bad

RE: Fish in NYCity --- do U know what your eating Sun, 08/24/08 9:39 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by myterry2

No not scary...it's NYC.

Sigh

"It is estimated that one-third of all the fish bought in the United States is mislabeled."

"Here again, 70 percent of all the grouper that has been tested in the United States (imported and native) has been mislabeled".

I had no idea one third of all fish and 70% of all the grouper sold in this country was sold in NYC?!

MiamiDon

RE: Fish in NYCity --- do U know what your eating Sun, 08/24/08 9:43 AM (permalink)
                It's hard for me to get very worked up about a report on fish labeling by two children.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                  RE: Fish in NYCity --- do U know what your eating Wed, 08/27/08 1:24 AM (permalink)
                  Ms. Stoeckle’s father, Mark, is a scientist and early proponent of the use of DNA bar coding, a technique that greatly simplifies the process of identifying species.

One evening at a sushi restaurant, Ms. Stoeckle recalled asking her father, “Could you bar code sushi?”

My father was/is a BRILLIANT scientist for 35 years. When we dined out during my teenage years I remember asking him "Dad, could you pass the A1 please?" He said "Sure, sweetie"

Bigapetite

• Total Posts: 54
                    RE: Fish in NYCity --- do U know what your eating Wed, 08/27/08 1:35 AM (permalink)
                    Ever go to a Chinese restaurant and order Scallops?
                    Ever wonder why they are ALL exactly the same size and shape? Hmmmmm

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                      RE: Fish in NYCity --- do U know what your eating Wed, 08/27/08 1:43 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Bigapetite

Ever go to a Chinese restaurant and order Scallops?
                      Ever wonder why they are ALL exactly the same size and shape? Hmmmmm

Because they are all twins.

GCD1962

• Total Posts: 66
                        RE: Fish in NYCity --- do U know what your eating Wed, 08/27/08 8:44 PM (permalink)
                        I order all my fish mail order from suppliers that are right next to the docks. From Alaska I get Halibut, King Salmon, Scallops & King Crab. From Maine I get Haddock, Shrimp, scallops & swordfish. It only costs a little more even with the shipping than you would get a local market. It's top of the line fresh and ultra high quality

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com