Weekend in DC/No. Virginia

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10424
2008/08/25 13:04:55 (permalink)

Weekend in DC/No. Virginia

A few weeks ago, my girlfriend Mariton was craving Peking Duck. I took her to the best, most authentic Chinese restaurant here in Pittsburgh and she didn't care for it. She longingly told me about how good this dish is at a restaurant near where she used to live in Northern Virginia. Always up for a roadtrip, I suggested we go see if it was still as good. This past weekend, we made that trip.

Friday August 22
We left my girlfriend's house in the South Hills of Pittsburgh just before 5:00PM. Instead of taking the turnpike to DC like I normally do, we took I-79 south to Morgantown and hopped on I-68 east. This would take us right to our first stop, Hen House Restaurant in Frostburg, Maryland.

A fellow Roadfooder recommended it to me and we were looking forward to trying it. When I first pulled up, I thought the situation was hopeless, since I have never seen a restaurant with more cars parked around it in my life. I dropped Mariton and her daughter Emilou off at the front door to grab a table while I drove around looking for a parking spot. Finally, one opened up and when I walked in, I was surprised to see them already seated. As it turns out, there is a dinner theater next door and many of the cars were there for that.

Meals here start off with a bowl of comfy homemade chicken noodle soup, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

The dinner rolls were soft and warm and sure tasted homemade.

We asked the waitress if the rolls were made there, but she told us they came from a bakery in nearby Cumberland.

The salad was unremarkable, other than they brought out one big bowl for the three of us, with the dressings in small containers on the side.

The couple who recommended Hen House to us said we should try the crabs. But, this sign was at the front door.

So, we were limited to crabcakes. Mariton ordered the broiled crabcakes.

She really enjoyed the first half dozen bites or so, but changed her opinion as she continued to eat. I went for the Seafood platter, with fried cod, fried clams, fried shrimp, stuffed shrimp, steamed shrimp and a crabcake.

I tried to get my crabcake broiled instead of fried, but wasn't able to get it that way. My crabcake was overdone and other than the fried clams and fried shrimp, I really didn't care for my dinner. The onion rings on the side were crunchy and good.

Emilou ordered the chicken alfredo, which she barely touched.

Mariton also took a few bites of it and also pronounced it terrible.

The restaurant is big and airy and we received very good service. The most impressive thing about the inside is the huge stone fireplace in the center.

Wait, I take that back. The most impressive thing about the place is the Jack Lambert print by the men's room door.

Hen House is very convenient to I-68, but next time I come back, it will be to try the barbecue.

http://www.henhouserestaurant.com/

We arrived at our hotel in Arlington, Virginia just before 11:00PM.

Edited: Because I can't read a calendar. Thanks Nancy!

65 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1