The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bobo's - Topeka, KS

swkreiter

• Total Posts: 31
Bobo's - Topeka, KS Wed, 08/27/08 11:05 PM (permalink)
This burger joint was featured on DD&D late last year. It even has Guy's autograph on a '50s-style globe light fixture hanging from the ceiling over the cash register. I visited it with my brother just the week before last.

Bobo's has been around for over 50 years and looks like it. Has all the visual charm of a wet beagle. It's also one of the last true drive-ins in the area - if you want car service you pull in, park, and turn on your headlights. There's also (very) limited seating inside. We went in.

Speaking of charm, our server had none. I don't know if she was having a bad day or trying to be the quintessential '50s diner waitress or what. But although we spent over half an hour in the place - and asked several questions - we never got more than 2 or 3 words out of her. Grumpy, to say the least.

But on to the burgers. Fresh beef - not frozen - and from what we could tell by peering into the kitchen, hand pressed. Kind of thin, though. We had double cheeseburgers, and I'm thinking a single patty would've been lost in the shuffle. The were good, though, really good. Fresh lettuce and tomato topped both burgers, along with fresh cheese and I'm thinking a dollop of mayo. Not greasy at all and the buns, although I'm sure not fresh baked, had that fresh baked smell.

OK, the burgers were great. But the much-touted "homemade apple pie" was a disappointment. I remember the homemade pies my Grandmother made and they were three inches or so tall with big chunks of apple and nice, light, flakey crusts. This pie was almost flat, the filling had no discernible texture (or real apple taste, for that matter), and the crust tasted like the top of a can of Crisco. We sprang for the a la mode and were further disappointed to find not real ice cream but a whirl of rather bland soft-serve on top of each piece.

I highly recommend Bobo's for a burger if you're ever in the Topeka area. But two caveats: Make it a double, and skip the pie.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com