The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Fox Brothers Bar B Q - Atlanta GA

Born in OKC

• Total Posts: 428
Fox Brothers Bar B Q - Atlanta GA Tue, 09/2/08 2:35 AM (permalink)
Pretty good Texas style BBQ: brisket, pork, baby back ribs and chicken (we did not try the latter). The beef and pork are both a little fatty. Order the beef sliced if you want to trim it more closely. No sausage. Nicely smoked but with a sweetish Southern style sauce. Full bar and a fairly good beer selection but limited wines. One of the more expensive BBQ places I've seen in Atlanta. Outdoor seating area which was not unpleasant on an overcast Labor Day but it would have been warm outside otherwise.

Located on DeKalb Avenue south of Little Five Points and just East of Moreland. Can be considered an outpost of the Point and the server people all look like they live in that 'hood. There used to be a good Mexican place in the same place, not Tex-Mex but Mex. I don't recall the name.

We were told the Fox brothers are in their mid thirties and have been in Atlanta for six years.

Sides include good collards with nice pot likker and were the best side we tried. They also had good mac and cheese though not of church supper distinction. They make over their tater tot side like it is special but I thought them to be very ordinary tator tots. The onion rings are average, but were surprisingly good cold after we got home. We did not try the stew which can be ordered over potatos and topped by cheese - think of Southern poutine!

Perhaps the best thing we tried was the pimento cheese sandwich although it was very dear. Probably the best pimento cheese sandwich I've had around Atlanta would be made from the untypical spread that Whole Foods Grocers sells, but the Fox Brothers version was very good.

Altogether, an okay or better meal and the service was good on a busy holiday afternoon although the beef was brought out cold and had to be sent back. I don't think it was Roadfood because of the price structure but the food was good enough to go there again.

southernsoul

• Total Posts: 19
    RE: Fox Brothers Bar B Q - Atlanta GA Tue, 09/2/08 6:38 PM (permalink)
    Fox Bros. started out serving 'cue out of Smiths Olde Bar, an intown Atl. neighborhood pub.I remember it was good stuff then, haven't tried the new joint yet.Looking forward to it in acouple of weeks when i go see the braves/mets show.

LilyJDragonfly

• Total Posts: 3
      RE: Fox Brothers Bar B Q - Atlanta GA Sat, 09/13/08 11:42 AM (permalink)
      Lovely outdoor seating area (well, no view, per se, but the chairs & tables were comfortable and had umbrellas). We had two tables worth of folks in our party and sat on the porch.

Great selection of beers, Rex Goliath wines (not familiar with this vineyard and don't care for wine with my Q, so I put this here for you winos...), HUGE selection of hard liquors - including more than 6 types of tequila.

Service was excellent, especially considering we were there for more than two-and-a-half hours on a Sunday afternoon, drinking and smoking and stuffing our faces!

Now, on to the foods we ordered: -- yes, I ate some of all of these!!

Ribs - what can I say? Delicious!! (and I'm not a huge fan of ribs overall)

Brunswick stew - very good, though not as great as I've had from the GA coast

Mac 'n cheese - decent enough, but nothing to write home about

Brisket - a bit dry for my taste

Tomminator - I couldn't keep my fork out of this concoction - oh my! Definitely something to split with three or four people! It consisted of tater tots, Brunswick stew, cheese, and was so tasty.

Potato salad - Not too chunky, not too "wet" - just right! And I do believe they had chopped egg within it.

Stuffed jalapenos - not one of my favorite things to order at a restaurant, but THESE were stuffed with bits of shredded pork and other tasty bits. Totally homemade and ABSOLUTELY worth ordering.

Fried Mac 'n Cheese Bites - Back "home" in South Carolina, the Maryland Fried Chicken makes these and I didn't think I'd want them from anywhere else until I tried them here at Fox Bros. Tasty, tasty with just a tiny hint of dill....

And of course, Sweet Tea. The sweet tea was strong and very sweet - the very way I love to drink it!

The SAUCE was a vinegar base (reminded me a tiny bit of sauces from North Carolina) and had just enough heat and flavor to it. Very decent. Not my favorite sauce ever, but I'm a SOUTH Carolina BBQ girl and prefer mustard 'que sauce so.... I think they had one other type of sauce there and it didn't stick enough in my memory to be able to even articulate what it was or anything.

Overall, I absolutely recommend this joint to anyone who loves BBQ and all its styles. The atmosphere is great, the bar is well-stocked, and the food is DELICIOUS...

Here's their website: http://www.foxbrosbbq.com/

And don't be scared by the less-than-studio-quality photos of the food on the site - all the foods are fantastic in person!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com