The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Keaton's BBQ near Statesville, N.C.

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
Keaton's BBQ near Statesville, N.C. Sun, 11/2/03 11:45 PM (permalink)
In August 2003, I ate the best chicken of my life at Keaton’s BBQ on the last evening of a North Carolina vacation. Were Keaton's open on Sundays, I may have stayed in the area overnight for another meal or two of their remarkable and unique chicken. One may as well order a half chicken at the start. Even that won't be enough for most roadfood types.

During my visit, Kathleen Murray, the busy owner and niece of the founder, took a break and talked with me about the business. A few minutes later a young Texas couple introduced themselves; they'd noticed my copy of Roadfood: The coast-to-coast guide to 500 of the best barbecue joints, lobster shacks, ice cream parlors, highway diners, & much more by Jane and Michael Stern.

The Stern's included Keaton's in the 2002 edition of the regularly updated dining guide, and the Texas couple–on vacation–were at Keaton's because of that excellent review. Jane and Michael describe how the chicken is prepared, and present their own mouth-watering description of its goodness. There's a seductive photo of Keaton's chicken in the Stern's restaurant review on the Roadfood Web site.

Among Keaton's side dishes, the hot vinegar slaw is good beyond description; I had no idea such slaw could be so delicious. Their homemade macaroni and cheese is baked and patrons brag about the cornbread muffins. A hot version of Keaton’s red sauce is available, and it's impressive too; it’s not very hot, just spicier.

In his barbeque dining guide, North Carolina Barbecue: Flavored by Time, Bob Garner says of Keaton's, "Here the chicken isn't actually barbecued, but deep-fried, then immersed in a memorable, mysterious barbeque sauce. No matter. Keaton's is an absolute must-stop." I agree! Keaton’s is indeed a must-stop for we, who, what love this kind of food (as Pogo would say).

If given an opportunity to tell the world about only one special food experience, I'd sure have to choose my late mother's chicken and dumplings. However, Keaton's chicken would be runner up. Apparently this chicken fills me with a missionary zeal.

Keaton's BBQ
17365 Cool Springs Road
Statesville, N.C.

Phone numbers: 704-278-1619; 800-278-1619

www.keatonsoriginalbbq.com

Open for lunch and dinner Wednesday through Saturday.
Hours: 11 to 2 and 5 to 9.
Orders are placed at the counter for both eat in and carry out.

Keaton's is out in the countryside, several miles east of Statesville, but it’s an easy off and on from Interstate 40, exit 162.

Directions from Interstate 40:

When traveling west, take exit 162 and turn left onto Hwy. 64.

Drive south/west on Highway 64 for about 1.7 miles to Woodleaf Road.

Turn left onto Woodleaf Road, which turns into Cool Springs Road,
and drive 1.6 miles to Keaton’s. Keaton’s is on the right; there's a small sign in front of the tan concrete block building.

dendan

• Total Posts: 479
    RE: Keaton's BBQ near Statesville, N.C. Fri, 11/7/03 8:29 AM (permalink)
    I can not agree more JimInKy. Michael has a great review and I added my comments to it but it has not made it to the page yet. A nice surprise for us, other than the great chicken, was the banana pudding. Only available on Friday and Saturday. It has whole grapes in it, quite a nice touch. My better-half was raised on NC banana pudding and was thrilled! Hope you bought a bottle of their sauce...great!

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
      RE: Keaton's BBQ near Statesville, N.C. Sun, 11/16/03 8:51 AM (permalink)
      With all the attention Keaton's received from different big-time media this year, I expect them to become loved to death. We may not have much time to enjoy them before long lines become the norm. The Saturday night I was there, I met folks from all over N.C. and out of state.

I spend several days in N.C. every summer, and I expect Keaton's will always be a stop from now on. I can't remember even thinking of dessert the night I visited, but I'll try to have the banana split next time. I grew up on rich banana split made the old fashioned way, with the custard cooked from scratch and the whole thing baked.

I think about Keaton's chicken pretty often and recently mailed a letter with photo to a bunch of like-minded friends. The photo of the chicken dinner Michael posted with his and Jane's review perfectly represented Keaton's food.

dendan

• Total Posts: 479
        RE: Keaton's BBQ near Statesville, N.C. Tue, 11/18/03 2:14 PM (permalink)
        Next time you are there pick up a bottle of their sauce!! YUM!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com