GMO Sweet Corn

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2019
2008/09/08 12:33:26 (permalink)

GMO Sweet Corn

Monsanto changed corn growing over the last 30 years or so. (I'm talking field corn here, the kind they feed to cows and use to make ethanol) First they commercialized Roundup (tm) a new class of weed killer. Then they invented corn that was not hurt by Roundup, and then corn that resisted earworms. In theory it is cheaper to grow corn now, but the expensive seed lets Monsanto shareholders share in the farmer's gain. That said, GMO seed is very popular.

Compared to field corn, sweet corn is a small market, so it took longer for the GMO biz to target sweet corn. A few years ago, you had some ear worms in your corn, or you sprayed. Today, you have another option..........you can plant a sweet corn that is poison to earworms, but which is still fine for people to eat.

I don't spray, so I have some ears with worms. The wormy ears get put aside, and are saved for the sheep. That situation is changing. I have had people ASK for ears with worms. They theorize that wormy ears are non GMO corn. What is next????? A GMO corn designed to ATTRACT ear worms?????

20 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1