The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Oysters--What are the best beds in the world?

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 88
RedJim64

• Total Posts: 128
Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 5:10 PM (permalink)
I've been an oyster eater for as long as I can remember.

Preferred them well before I acquired a taste for fresh, or salt water fish even.

It was always simple for me: shuck the oyster, push it my way and I'd tilt my head and let that tasty mollusk slide down my gullet. Now that I can afford them whenever I have a whim, I've realized that I've only sampled the big O from PEI beds, NOLA beds, Oregon and Washington state oyster beds. (I love 'em all!)

What oysters am I missing? Would like some opinions on what you consider the ultimate shucked oyster, taste-fest.

Sundancer7

RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 5:14 PM (permalink)
    The best I ever had was in the beds of western Washington. They were huge and tasty.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

• Total Posts: 222
      RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 5:18 PM (permalink)
      Wellfleet, MA.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
        RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 5:19 PM (permalink)
        I love all kinds of oysters, too. I had a great assortment at Swan's Oyster Depot in San Francisco last April. And in the past couple of years, we've been getting oysters -- shucked, in jars, and in season --from Galveston from the Fabian Shrimp Truck that comes to Minnesota (and Iowa, and elsewhere) about twice a month. I love sauteeing them in butter after dipping them in egg wash and flour and/or cornmeal. Yummy.

But I think my absolute favorite oysters are from Chicoteague.

dholk

• Total Posts: 107
          RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 6:08 PM (permalink)
          I grew up eating Apalachicola Bay oysters. I can't judge them against others from around the country personally, but I certainly enjoy them.

NY Times Article on Apalachicola Bay oysters:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DEEDB133CF936A25755C0A9649C8B63

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
            RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 6:29 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by dholk

I grew up eating Apalachicola Bay oysters. I can't judge them against others from around the country personally, but I certainly enjoy them.

NY Times Article on Apalachicola Bay oysters:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DEEDB133CF936A25755C0A9649C8B63

I've eaten oysters from around the world and IMHO Apalachicola Bay oysters are the best!

will_work_4_bbq

• Total Posts: 398
              RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 7:06 PM (permalink)
              I, too, think Apalachicola Bay oysters are best!

MotherNature_

• Total Posts: 103
                RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 7:35 PM (permalink)
                May River oysters from Bluffton, SC. There is only one business that holds the leases, and has held them for years and years. It's the only Class 4A river in the state. The DNR guys eat them raw on the rakes, LOL!! There isn't anything to compare and I've eaten a lot of oysters, too.

tybeeguy

• Total Posts: 87
                  RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 7:40 PM (permalink)
                  There are some good ones in the southern waters of South Carolina.

http://theothersavannah.com/html/documents/Witte_SavMag_Article.pdf

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                    RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 7:54 PM (permalink)
                    I worked for the Boston half-shell in Denver in late 70' as the exec chef. We had an aesome selection. We always had native boston oysters and cherry stones. Also up to 5 different oysters of what eber the fishMonger had that day. I would go to Seattke fish in the early AM and get whats hot at the tome along with different clams as well. Boy were they great! the back bar was te oyster bar. We had 2 guys shucking away the crowds got so huge.
                    Now in dayton it LJS clam strips. Capt D's doesn't even haave fried ousted in our area!
                    Bummer
                    britt

Greyghost

• Total Posts: 1336
                      RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 8:06 PM (permalink)
                      Historically speaking and this goes back many centuries, the best oysters are the ones you have in bed. I think it is only in recent times people became concerned about which bed the oyster originally came from. I could go on about this subject, but for now let's just consider it food for thought.

MotherNature_

• Total Posts: 103
                        RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 8:08 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by tybeeguy

There are some good ones in the southern waters of South Carolina.

http://theothersavannah.com/html/documents/Witte_SavMag_Article.pdf

You were "Johnny-on-the-Spot" with that. Is this your clip? Nice story.

iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
                          RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 8:11 PM (permalink)
                          Apalachicola Bay , Florida ! Best oysters in the world !
                          The oysters served at Hunt's Seafood Restaurant , McClin's , and Grady's Seafood are from Apalachicola Bay . Also , local oyster bars here in Dothan , Alabama serve our favorite Apalachicola oysters . We adore them !

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                            RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 8:44 PM (permalink)
                            Can't let you guys get away without a tip of the hat to World
                            Famous OYSTER BAY and BLUE POINT on Looooong Island, NY. They have
                            supplied all the fancy restaurants in NY City for years and years.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                              RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 8:51 PM (permalink)
                              I always like the Malpeque oysters from Northeastern Canada.

C Turner Joy

• Total Posts: 159
                                RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 9:14 PM (permalink)
                                Another vote for Apalachicolas.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
                                  RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 10:02 PM (permalink)
                                  I bet lleechef likes the belons.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3660
                                    RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 10:24 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I always like the Malpeque oysters from Northeastern Canada.

Oh my goodness; my favorites! I loved going to Prince Edward Island and eating them until I could eat no more. Fun memories~

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                      • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 11:01 PM (permalink)

I am not sure of the specific sources for the Gulf Oysters we enjoyed in Southern Alabama, The Florida Panhandle, and the Mobile AL area...But they are outstanding !

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
                                        RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Mon, 09/8/08 11:52 PM (permalink)
                                        I love, Belons and Olympia's. Unfortunately, there're the most expensive too.

FriedClamFanatic

RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Tue, 09/9/08 11:04 AM (permalink)
                                          Very Hard to find, very expensive, but oysters from Fishers Island NY are exquisite!

The operation there also provides seed to a number of other beds, so you may be able to find something close

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                                            RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Tue, 09/9/08 11:06 AM (permalink)
                                            Washington state, Oregon, British Columbia. Absolutely.

And the little kumamoto's are my favorite species. Sweet and divine.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                              RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Tue, 09/9/08 11:23 AM (permalink)
                                              Appalachicola oysters, Cedar Key oysters. Once upon a time I couldn't get either of these by the pint in my local grocer to make stew. I bought a pint of "Villapoint"(?), I believe they were from Washington and they had NO brininess to them what so ever. Tasteless. So I'm wondering if brininess differs from region????? I know here oysters always have a certain amount of brininess but after a good cold snap they are best. I ate about 3 doz Saturday that were just okay but know they'll just get better and better.

seafarer john

RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Tue, 09/9/08 11:28 AM (permalink)
                                                Chincoteague Salt Oysters are #1. But I also love Applachacolas, Bluepoints, Wellfleets ( the largest oysters I've ever eaten), Malpeques, Galveston Bay, Mobile Bay (what a great lot of local oysters we had there this past winter). I guess I love them all except some of the West Coast types that taste too damn metallic for me, but I'm sure I'd learn to love them if that's all I had available.

Cheers, John

iqdiva

RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Tue, 09/9/08 11:29 AM (permalink)
                                                  Oyster roast time is fast approaching around in our area Rusty246 . October is filled with oyster shuckin's , oyster roasts outside on the grill and my husband , Paul , always shucks enough for us to have oyster stew for breakfast the next day !

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                                    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Tue, 09/9/08 11:40 AM (permalink)
                                                    " How Much Shuck Can Big Paul Shuck, if Big Paul could Shuck Shucks ??

Susan,
                                                    Those Oysters we had at Hunt's and also at McLinns were great! I am not sure my Shucking skills could keep up with my Eating Skills ??

iqdiva

• Location: Dothan,Alabama,
                                                      RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Tue, 09/9/08 11:49 AM (permalink)
                                                      I bet they could Al ... Paul gets so excited at the prospect of a big burlap bag of fresh oysters that I swear he and his oyster shucking knife are a blur of activity . We get the saltine crackers and the Crystal Hot Sauce ready and Paul goes to town on those oysters ! I have to remind him to save some for the grill that we have hot and ready and to save some for my oyster stew the next morning .

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                                        • Location: Newberry, FL
                                                        RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Tue, 09/9/08 12:30 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by iqdiva

Oyster roast time is fast approaching around in our area Rusty246 . October is filled with oyster shuckin's , oyster roasts outside on the grill and my husband , Paul , always shucks enough for us to have oyster stew for breakfast the next day !

I can hardly wait. My BF's friends opened a seafood market right around the corner from us last year. One of the most memorable times was when Tommy(the BF)set up an outside party area complete with TV's(for FOOTBALL)and an oyster shucking area. 8 of us went through 3 bushels throughout the coarse of the game. I thought it would be some time before I wanted another oyster but instead it was the first thing I wanted the next morning. I took a baking pan out to the cooler, loaded it up with "sters" put the pan in the oven and away I went. IF it had been a little later I'd have enjoyed a beer too!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
                                                          • Location: Gilbert, AZ
                                                          RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Tue, 09/9/08 12:46 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:
                                                          Originally posted by iqdiva

I thought it would be some time before I wanted another oyster but instead it was the first thing I wanted the next morning. I took a baking pan out to the cooler, loaded it up with "sters" put the pan in the oven and away I went. IF it had been a little later I'd have enjoyed a beer too!

BEER!!! It's just not for Breakfast anymore!! Pop a Top!!
                                                          P.S. You live in a great part of the world for Oysters!

easy1

• Total Posts: 45
                                                            • Location: Wareham, MA
                                                            RE: Oysters--What are the best beds in the world? Tue, 09/9/08 1:09 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by RedJim64

I've been an oyster eater for as long as I can remember.

Preferred them well before I acquired a taste for fresh, or salt water fish even.

It was always simple for me: shuck the oyster, push it my way and I'd tilt my head and let that tasty mollusk slide down my gullet. Now that I can afford them whenever I have a whim, I've realized that I've only sampled the big O from PEI beds, NOLA beds, Oregon and Washington state oyster beds. (I love 'em all!)

What oysters am I missing? Would like some opinions on what you consider the ultimate shucked oyster, taste-fest.

Rocky Mountains!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 88

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com