The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

insanely addicting Indian snackfood - Papadum

Sonny Funzio

• Total Posts: 902
insanely addicting Indian snackfood - Papadum Sun, 09/21/08 10:18 PM (permalink)
One of the most addicting snack foods I've ever eaten in my life is the Indian wafer known as "papadum" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papadum ). ... actually, one of the most addicting foods period.

I make this ultra-thin chip-like snack not like you get it in the Indian restaurant where it is typically baked, but instead I fry it.

Put some oil in a skillet, and fry the large wafers, which resemble a paper-thin tortilla (though papadum are made with lentil and chick pea flour), on each side for only about 20 seconds. Be quick with the tongs because they burn very quickly indeed. Sprinkle a tiny amount of salt on each as you stack them up.

A bag of them (similar in appearance to a bag of tortillas) when fried will make a pile of papad wafers probably 2 feet high. All this for between 99 cents and a buck and a quarter. They are available at Indian grocers ... or if you can't find an Indian grocer, ask your local Indian restaurant where you can purchase them.
They come in different flavors such as red pepper, black pepper, cumin, garlic and others.

A tall stack of them, served warm, served with dips and chutneys to put on top and a ice-cold beer can't be beat.

These are insanely addictive - and a huge hit with company.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com