The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Old Fashioned Southern Style Yeast Bread

Rex

• Total Posts: 109
Old Fashioned Southern Style Yeast Bread Thu, 11/6/03 2:07 PM (permalink)
Hi, I am new to this forum. I am in search of an incredibly hard to find bread recipe. I am hoping someone here will be familiar with what I am talking about and may be able to help.

I grew up in Stokes County North Carolina and my grandmother, aunts, etc all made a particular type of white bread from scratch. Let me explain:

It is your basic white bread but the dough is much denser, with a very yeasty flavor. At the point of the dough being divided into two loaves..each loaf of dough is divided yet again into portions that are rolled out into strips and laid in the loaf pan. They are allowed to rise, then baked.

When they come out of the oven and cooled you can literally pull a part off the loaf just like a slice but much thicker. Each loaf might yield 12 slices or less.

If anyone knows what this bread is called or how to get the recipe for it I would be extremely grateful.

I never thought as a younger person that I would care about such things. But since most all the relatives are gone now and the ones left don't know how to make it...I am more or less lost.

I have checked the net under every possible concievable description but come up with nothing...and I have never ever seen the likes of this bread anywhere else in the US in my travels. I am thinking this recipe may in fact be indigenous to this locale. But I am not sure.

Thanks to anyone who can help with this in anyway.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com