Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

America's Best Donuts

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 67 of 67
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
Re:America's Best Donuts Fri, 11/16/12 11:49 AM (permalink)
I am not a connoisseur when it comes to donuts, but for my money the donuts baked at Oram's in the center of Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania are topnotch. Now, the thing is I'm a plain donut guy. No fillings, no glazing, no anything -- except occasionally some cinnamon and sugar -- for me. But with Oram's plain donuts I don't even need any coffee for dunking. Those things are flat out good.

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1271
    Re:America's Best Donuts Fri, 11/16/12 12:12 PM (permalink)
    Maybe I missed it, but what about the Donut Man in Glendora, CA?  Oooh baby.  The chocolate iced Bavarian is my favorite.  I think.  Although the fresh strawberry ones are pretty amazing, too.  Never been there during peach season, or that would be my fave.
    http://roadfood.com/Resta...verview/7864/donut-man

On the SF peninsula, the Donut House in Redwood City makes the best powdered sugar doughnut I've ever had.  Incredible snow pack on it with a lightly crunchy crust underneath.  They're always fresh, because they sell out before 8:30 a.m.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz_p...449rpzKtQ5NlvL5r9IkF8Q

Best maple bar on the SF peninsula is at Pilgrim Kitchen in Belmont, CA.  The filling is soft and light--not like pudding--and rather than squeezing it into the doughnut they slice the bar and pipe the filling attractively.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz_p...Q90fPUHLsin_P1f6smrN6w

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
      Re:America's Best Donuts Fri, 11/16/12 12:14 PM (permalink)
      Michael Hoffman

Now, the thing is I'm a plain donut guy. No fillings, no glazing, no anything -- except occasionally some cinnamon and sugar -- for me.  

Only cake donuts for me and second that plain (old fashion) or cinnamon is best.   

Don't understand Krispy Kreme - to me they are simply sugar coated Wonder bread.
      <message edited by mjambro on Fri, 11/16/12 8:41 PM>

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6223
        Re:America's Best Donuts Fri, 11/16/12 3:18 PM (permalink)
        I took one bite ONCE of a Krispy Kreme and threw it in the trash.  NASTY!  I am not much of a donut person but I do like Oram's glazed donuts.  They're light as air.  Delicious!

Sundancer7

Re:America's Best Donuts Fri, 11/16/12 5:12 PM (permalink)
          We all have our choices of what we like.  Personally I grew up on Krispey Kreme.  When I was a very young boy and my father who was a school teacher did not make a lot of money.  It was a special treat on Sunday night to get a dozen of Krispey Kreme.  I understand that a lot of folks appreciate other types but I can only relate what I felt growing up.

I still like them even though about three of them causes me some distress.  I guess that is the yeast?

When they are hot, they melt in your mouth.

Paul E. Smith
          Knoxville, TN

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
            RE: America's Best Donuts Mon, 11/19/12 1:45 PM (permalink)
            Mrs. Murphy's in Southwick, MA. I am not a donut fan but their chocolate cake donut is dense, not-so-sweet and moist.

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
              Re:America's Best Donuts Sun, 11/25/12 6:42 PM (permalink)
              Michael Hoffman

I am not a connoisseur when it comes to donuts, but for my money the donuts baked at Oram's in the center of Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania are topnotch. Now, the thing is I'm a plain donut guy. No fillings, no glazing, no anything -- except occasionally some cinnamon and sugar -- for me. But with Oram's plain donuts I don't even need any coffee for dunking. Those things are flat out good.

I live 5 blocks away from Oram's, so I'm there a lot and they are awesome. And, they sell milk from Brunton's Dairy in glass bottles. Their chocolate milk is amazing!

I like plain doughnuts too, but it's almost a requirement to get a hubcap cinnamon roll as well.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 67 of 67

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com