The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Weekend on Florida's First Coast

buffetbuster

Weekend on Florida's First Coast Tue, 10/7/08 1:42 PM (permalink)
I have been wanting to go back to St. Augustine, my favorite city in Florida for a while. Since Southwest Airlines offers cheap, direct flights to Orlando from Pittsburgh, it made more sense to go that route, rather than to fly into Jacksonville.

Friday October 3, 2008 

Since my flight didn't leave until after 8:00PM, I had time to stop for dinner on the way to the airport. Not having been to Pierogies Plus in McKees Rocks for a few months, I made that my destination. Two excellent Roadfood indicators about the place are that it is in a former gas station

and the smiling pierogie on their sign.

It seems everytime I come here lately, they have made some more changes. The red neon "OPEN" sign is new, as is the display case just inside the door.

Although it is nice to see that they are offering new menu items, I hope they don't forget what they do best. I never thought I would see this place make lobster cakes.

While I was waiting for my food, I noticed that they are selling dvds on how to make some of their specialties.

There are some interesting looking specials available,

but I was most interested in the old stand-bys. So, I got the combination plate, which includes four pierogies, a stuffed cabbage and a huge mound of halushki.

Once I got my food, I sat at the lone outside table, as there is no indoor seating here. Most people get their food to go. The pierogies were stuffed with potato and although I prefer the sauerkraut, they were as good as always. The last time I was here, I did not like my stuffed cabbage (it tasted old to me), but it was much better this time. And the portion size of the halushki (noodles, with cabbage and onions) was so big, I couldn't finish it all.

For the first time ever, I saw that they were offering potato pancakes.

You get two for $2.25. Good crunchy exterior, with a creamy inside. Still, I would have liked some apple sauce to go with them.

Even though it isn't made here, I almost always finish up my meals here with a small container of tapioca.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=5041&RefID=4999

After landing in Orlando, I picked up my car rental. When I got to my car, it was obvious that it had not been washed. Besides a lot of dirt on it, the entire back end was covered in dead bugs. I complained and although it took a while, got a different car.

I drove straight to my hotel, just north of the city. Feeling tired, all I wanted to do was watch the baseball playoffs. When I walked in my non-smoking room, there was a strong smell of smoke. Also, my tv didn't work and I couldn't get an internet connection on my laptop. I complained, but no other rooms were available.

Honestly, I hate complaining. Things go wrong sometimes when you travel and I am a roll with the punches kind of guy. But both instances bothered me enough to complain. Who wants to be touching all those dead bugs everytime you get in and out of the trunk?

Much more to come.....
<message edited by buffetbuster on Fri, 02/27/09 2:11 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com