Week in South Florida--1

Author
crew84row
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 176
2008/10/15 21:06:00 (permalink)

Week in South Florida--1

I recently spent a week on business traveling to Miami, Boca Raton and Fort Lauderdale. Full intent was to explore some new spots to eat at and see if i could report my trip on Roadfood.

Started off on a Sunday night, arrivng in Miami around 8 PM and having to wait 50 minutes for the luggage to show up. Checked into the hotel around 9 PM, so spoiled my original idea to hit las Culbrinas in Coconut Grove. So I wandered over to Mojitos in the Dolphin Mall next to my hotel. They were starting to pack in in for the night. No music. Poor beer selection for a bar, I settled for a Presidente, a Dominican knock off of Cororna. Had been hoping for at least a Red Stripe. Being late, I ordered the tostones rellenos, filled fried plantains; shrimp and piccadillo. Outside the plantains, there wasn't much flavor. Piccadillo tasted like sloppy joe mix out of the generic brand can. Needed Singleton's Seafood Shack's Colon Cleaner hot sauce for sure.

On Monday, I picked a Spanish (but really more Peruvian) restaurant called Casa Paco. Extensive menu, Good bottles of Roja inviting you to the table. Crisp plantain chips (no chimichurri sauce). Most of the menu and daily specials were geared toward parties of 2 or more. I went for a Basque style seafood dish, Corvina dela Vasca, that sounded excellent on the menu. Snapper, shrimp, clams, hard boiled eggs, asparagus. But the presentation looked like the type of meal the Campbell's soup commercial people usually ate before the Campbell's soup chef shows up.

Tasted just as bland. Where's that Colon Cleaner?

The snapper and the shrimp tasted fresh. So that was a good sign.
Again, poor beer selection, went with a Guiness which wasn't meant for fish but didn't want to drink a full bottle of wine.

Casa Paco is certainly a place to try with a larger group and get the paella or pork dishes. but for someone dining alone, the latin American Cafeteria #1 or #2 would have been a better selection. Then again, I'm trying new places.

2 disappointments. 4 days to go. Tuesday is breakfast at Moe's in Adventura.

13 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1