The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pulled Pork in MI?

Penoose

• Total Posts: 57
Pulled Pork in MI? Mon, 11/10/03 12:03 PM (permalink)
Is there anything that approximates authentic southern pit BBQ here in the Great Lakes region? Not just ribs, but savory pulled pork shoulder, either piled on a plate or served in sandwich form?

I've had BBQ pork sandwiches at Memphis Smoke (ho hum) and Famous Dave's (actually pretty good), and I've bought shredded BBQ pork at various grocers (Nino's is OK). But nothing comes CLOSE to ANYTHING I've had in the southeast.

Any suggestions (besides the obvious "take a road trip")?

Penoose

RE: Pulled Pork in MI? Tue, 11/11/03 11:20 PM (permalink)
    >>"Famous Dave's'<<

>>It's decent, eh?<<

Yes, not half bad. The atmosphere is kind of obnoxious, but it's about the only place around to get brisket or pulled pork.

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
      RE: Pulled Pork in MI? Sun, 11/16/03 2:14 PM (permalink)
      If you ever get to Rochester, MN John Hardys has a great pulled pork, as well as thin sliced beef. My favorite. I have found making pulled pork at home is pretty easy. I use a smoke shack cooker and boneless pork loin. I smoke the loin for around 4 hours and than wrap it in foil and put it back in for another hour or two, the steam really makes it pull apart easy. Still working on a decent beef recipe, trying eye of round today.

Stogie

• Total Posts: 128
        RE: Pulled Pork in MI? Sun, 11/16/03 8:46 PM (permalink)
        Theedge......

Welcome to the board!

In regards to your BBQ. You are cooking the wrong types of meat in that Cookshack. Instead of pork loin, you need to get some pork butt...that is the upper part of the whole shoulder. When cooking low and slow, meats that are full of fat turn out much beter than a lean meat.

Both of the meats you mentioned...pork loin and eye of round......are much too lean to slow smoke....no fat makes them much too dry at temps that result in pullable meat. It will work, but the results are only mediocre if you compare to a pork butt. Instead of eye of round, go get yourself a brisket or some chuck roasts. Look for cuts of meat that are loaded with fat.

Just my thoughts!

Stogie

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
          RE: Pulled Pork in MI? Sun, 11/16/03 8:59 PM (permalink)
          Dearfolk,
          Nearly every Michigan city has enough expatriate Southerners to have one decent outlet for barbecue. I know of such a place in Kalamazoo (although I've never been there), one in Battle Creek, one or two in Flint, and several in and around Detroit.
          Nothing beats the real thing, though. Maybe you had ought to mosey on down this way when you can. We'll flat fix you right up.
          Hungry For Some Pulled Pig Myself, Ort. Carlton in Pit-less But Not Cue-Less Athens, Georgia.
          P. S. I know someone who won't eat barbecue that isn't cooked in a pit. He periodically tells me of places he finds in his miles on the road as a textbook salesman. Next notes I get at his dictation, I'll pass along here.
          P. P. S. He prefers vinegar-based sauce, but insists that it must be made with apple cider vinegar or nothing. I keep telling him that he had ought to open his own place: build his own L-shaped rock pit.

Theedge

RE: Pulled Pork in MI? Mon, 11/17/03 10:57 PM (permalink)
            Thanks for the welcome and your reply. Do try the pork loin, as I'm a big fan. I have tried various beef cuts and have not been happy, I can see where fat content can make a difference. I'm just not a big fan of "fatty" foods. My favorite place serves lean slices of smoked beef with no fat, even the left overs out of the fridge are lean. I'm curious to find out what cut they use, and time and temp. The beef they serve is in slices, it doesn't look like something that could even be pulled.

Any ideas, suggestions, are appreciated.

Kind Regards

DinoS

• Total Posts: 128
              RE: Pulled Pork in MI? Sat, 11/22/03 6:03 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Penoose

savory pulled pork shoulder . . . served in sandwich form?

US 31 BBQ in Muskegon has been serving that very item for at least 50 years. They were still in operation 4 years ago when I last visited.

Penoose

RE: Pulled Pork in MI? Sun, 11/23/03 1:24 PM (permalink)
                >>I know of such a place in Kalamazoo (although I've never been there), one in Battle Creek, one or two in Flint, and several in and around Detroit.<<

I've never seen anything in Flint/Battle Creek/Kalamazoo...do you remember the names of these eateries?

There are a few good "bbq" joints around Detroit serving great ribs. Some have sandwiches, too...but it's usually tough skin from the ribs, rather than melt-in-your-mouth pulled pork. Or, worse, it's that shredded gunk with the texture of cotton balls.

>>US 31 BBQ in Muskegon has been serving that very item for at least 50 years. <<

Hmm...sounds interesting. Sounds very interesting.

Petunia62249

• Total Posts: 8
                  RE: Pulled Pork in MI? Sun, 11/23/03 6:24 PM (permalink)
                  I thank you for that wonderful Idea of Pork Butt!!!!! Nice jucy, well worked muscle with fat on it!
                  I'll try that instead of pork shoulder for my pulled pork

BBQ Barney

• Total Posts: 161
                    RE: Pulled Pork in MI? Mon, 11/24/03 9:15 PM (permalink)
                    We've got "Famous Dave's" in Iowa too--- tried it once and found it inedable. Around here we believe you make smoked meat at home or go without. My apologies to Dave's fans.

Theedge

RE: Pulled Pork in MI? Wed, 11/26/03 11:07 AM (permalink)
                      Barney, if you ever get up to Rochester MN try John Hardy's BBQ. It is a local joint, they have two locations just in Rochester. I used to go every weekend, I was getting to fat! I get the combo platter 1/2 pulled pork, 1/2 beef. They offer 6 different levels of bbq sauce, if you like hot the bad boy sauce is killer.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com