The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend

fdeaton

• Total Posts: 4
I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Mon, 10/20/08 4:04 PM (permalink)
My wife and I went to the Rendevous for her early Birthday lunch. It was around 12.00 noon and ee walked in and were able to seat ourselves.

The place was full. People were taking pictures of eating there.

We ordered the Pork Shoulder sandwich. Service was prompt and quick. The waiter was attentive and efficent as usual.

The sandwich came with a warm fresh bun with warm meat chopped in between the bun. On the side there was Baked Beans and Rendevous spicy slaw.

The strength of the Rendevous is that it is consistent in quality.

The sandwich was outstanding.

bethgrd

• Total Posts: 320
    RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Mon, 10/20/08 4:39 PM (permalink)
    where is the rendevous????:

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
      RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Mon, 10/20/08 5:32 PM (permalink)
      I believe the poster is talking about Memphis. We loved it there. Some people have complained about it but we had a wonderful server who was most gracious, and a lot of fun, and the food (for our tastes) was terrific.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
        RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Mon, 10/20/08 5:59 PM (permalink)
        "The place was full. People were taking pictures of eating there." WHAT

LOL, Welcome to RF.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Tue, 10/21/08 8:16 AM (permalink)
          Welcome to RF.

mncorn

• Total Posts: 151
            RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Sun, 11/2/08 11:37 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by fdeaton

My wife and I went to the Rendevous for her early Birthday lunch. It was around 12.00 noon and ee walked in and were able to seat ourselves.

The place was full. People were taking pictures of eating there.

We ordered the Pork Shoulder sandwich. Service was prompt and quick. The waiter was attentive and efficent as usual.

The sandwich came with a warm fresh bun with warm meat chopped in between the bun. On the side there was Baked Beans and Rendevous spicy slaw.

The strength of the Rendevous is that it is consistent in quality.

The sandwich was outstanding.

Where are the pictures?

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
              RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Sun, 11/2/08 11:52 PM (permalink)
              Yes! Pictures, please.

baileysoriginal

• Total Posts: 758
                RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Tue, 11/4/08 10:49 PM (permalink)
                The Rendezvous is a commercialized version of Memphis BBQ - it's okay but not the best Memphis has to offer.

Their sauce is so-so but their World Famous Seasoning is without a doubt the best we've ever used - it's especially good sprinkled on pork or chicken after it comes off the grill.

PopsDogHouse

RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Sun, 11/9/08 7:50 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by baileysoriginal

The Rendezvous is a commercialized version of Memphis BBQ - it's okay but not the best Memphis has to offer.

Their sauce is so-so but their World Famous Seasoning is without a doubt the best we've ever used - it's especially good sprinkled on pork or chicken after it comes off the grill.

I agree with you about the sauce. I traveled to Memphis on business from 1993-1996. I would go to the Rendevous for dry rub ribs, and Interstate BBQ or the original Corky's if I wanted them slathered in sauce. Always started the meal with the Rendevous sampler of cheese and smoked sausage.

Bobs

• Total Posts: 244
                    RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Sun, 11/9/08 8:43 PM (permalink)
                    Please do not use the Rendevous as a standard for Memphis barbecue. It is a destination for tourists who do not get the opportunity to eat real barbecue at the dozens of other true que joints in the West TN. area. I do enjoy the nostalgia and atmosphere that the Rendevous provides and I do like their sausage and cheese plate with a cold beer.

PopsDogHouse

RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Sun, 11/9/08 9:43 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Bobs

Please do not use the Rendevous as a standard for Memphis barbecue. It is a destination for tourists who do not get the opportunity to eat real barbecue at the dozens of other true que joints in the West TN. area. I do enjoy the nostalgia and atmosphere that the Rendevous provides and I do like their sausage and cheese plate with a cold beer.

You're right Bobs. There are so many que joints better than those I mentioned. I can't even remember all those I visited in those years. I did enjoy the Rendevous for dry ribs however. Interstate was very good back then. Haven't been there in 12 or 13 years, but I understand it has gone down hill.

Between Blues, BBQ, Memphis in May, and Graceland, Memphis is one cool place!

Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
                        RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Tue, 11/11/08 7:23 PM (permalink)
                        Tourist joint, or not, no trip to Memphis is complete without a stop at the Rendezvous. I've not found the waiters to be especially outgoing myself, yet there is a group photo of all the waiters who have been there over 40 years. I think that says a lot.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
                          RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Tue, 11/11/08 8:28 PM (permalink)
                          Our family loved the Rendevous when we ate there. I do not think that it is touristy. It is just in a great location and very convenient to where travelers are staying. We loved the food, the ambiance and the service.

rebeltruce

• Total Posts: 698
                            RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Wed, 11/12/08 6:58 AM (permalink)
                            I had a chance to visit the Rendezvous this past spring, a couple friends and I rode motorcycles from Northern Va to Memphis specifically for BBQ, and of course a stop at Graceland and the Civil Rights Museum.

We rolled into town on a Monday I believe and the Rendezvous was closed, we found this to be a common issue throughout Tennessee. No problem we had planned on being in Memphis for 3 days. So the first night we went to a place on Beale Street that a cabby recommended, worst ribs I'd ever eaten, so we weren't off to a very good start. I don't even remember the name of the place.

Next day we were primed to hit the Rendezvous for dinner that evening, first though we spent the morning at Graceland, and had lunch at A&R on Elvis Presley Blvd. This is why I came to Memphis, had a pulled pork Sandwich (spicy sauce) and slaw, with a side of BBQ Spaghetti, this was the best Pulled Pork Sandwich I think I've ever had and I've had allot of them.

For dinner it was Rendezvous time, we had a very minimal wait, just long enough to finish a pitcher of beer, and get to know the bartender a bit, he was very good at guessing where people were from, he pegged us right away for the DC area. Don't ask me how; I'm still trying to figure that out especially since I am originally from Pennsylvania.

We were seated down stairs in one of the many little dining areas, and immediately order the famous Cheese and Sausage platter and another pitcher of beer. Our waiter was outstanding, we didn't really ask him how long he'd been there, but it was obvious that he'd been there forever.

We order ribs....a full rack each. I like ribs any way I can get them, but prefer dry. All I can say is that I thought the ribs were some of the best I've had so far as dry ribs go. I agree these ribs aren't really BBQ, because of the way they are cooked, but I really enjoyed the chewy texture and the charcoal smoke flavor. We all did.

If I am ever in Memphis, The Rendezvous would be a must stop.

Over the next two days we also tried Cozy Corner, and Interstate, and several other Memphis landmark joints. Interstate wasn't a favorite of the trip, but Cozy Corner.....WOW! I could go on and on.....but I've already hijacked the thread. I will say I had the Cornish Hen w/BBQ spaghetti, and it was sublime.

buffetbuster

RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Wed, 11/12/08 8:39 AM (permalink)
                              rebeltruce-
                              I agree with you about both A & R BBQ and Cozy Corner. Two of Memphis' best! As for the Rendezvous, I thought it was just average.

utvols

• Total Posts: 45
                                RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Thu, 11/27/08 1:47 AM (permalink)
                                Rendezvous is all about ribs. Sadly this tradition is dying because of places like Outback and Logan's are driving the price of Baby Backs up and the local places can't compete. Try to hit Rendezvous up when they aren't busy so you are assured a low and slow slab. Also check out the Bar-B-Que shop for dry rub. Since Rendezvous went commercial they added MSG to their rub. I don't recall BBQ Shop as having that.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                  RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Mon, 10/25/10 11:10 PM (permalink)
                                  After putting it off for about twenty years, I finally got to Charlie Vergos Rendezvous last month on my way home from North Carolina. While their ribs are not barbeque in the purest sense, I found them to be quite tasty. The dry rub coating is an interesting variation on traditional "wet' ribs, and the sides were pretty good too. Eventually I'll get back to Memphis, and when I do, the Rendezvous will definitely be on my "must do" list.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1932
                                    RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Tue, 10/26/10 12:15 AM (permalink)
                                    Nick Vergos insists the Rendezvous does not serve barbecue (he enthusiastically points to the sign that says Rendezvous Charcoal Ribs), and that their seasoning is not a rub (it’s mopped on during cooking and shaken on before serving).  With that in mind, they serve the most delicious non-rubbed, non-barbecue, charcoal ribs I’ve ever tasted!    

smokestack lightning

• Total Posts: 301
                                      RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Tue, 10/26/10 4:17 AM (permalink)
                                      I made a film in Memphis and have been there probably fifty times in the last ten years. As noted this is not really bbq. For bbq I like cozy corner, paynes, the interstate, etc. Also I agree there is not much on beale street of interest for food. Blues City cafe is ok at best. The Rendezvous has very good dry rub type ribs. Its a fun place where Lonnie and other waiters are often amusing and always professional. I think it is somewhat touristy but in a sort of ok way. I do not recommend Corkys although in most other places than bbq crazy Memphis it would be great! Other memphis places to consider include the peabody for drinks, Barksdale for breakfast, Automatic Slims for great drinks and interesting Caribbean flavored food.

rebeltruce

• Total Posts: 698
                                        RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Tue, 10/26/10 7:34 AM (permalink)
                                        Blues City Cafe....I'm sure that's the joint I mentioned we hit on Beale. Some of the worst ribs I've ever had in my life......thanks for jarring my memory Smoke!

MiamiDon

RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Tue, 10/26/10 8:30 AM (permalink)
                                          Roadfood.com Review of Charlie Vergo's Rendevous

Photo of ribs from the review:

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
                                            RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Tue, 10/26/10 9:52 AM (permalink)
                                            rebeltruce

Blues City Cafe....I'm sure that's the joint I mentioned we hit on Beale. Some of the worst ribs I've ever had in my life......thanks for jarring my memory Smoke!

I was in Memphis 2 years ago on a Sunday and Monday which are the 2 days a week that the Rendevous is closed.  I asked several people (homeless guys asking me for money, hotel conceirge, cop) for recommendations and all of them said to go to the Blues City Cafe.  I just had a bad feeling about it so I didn't end up going.  I ended up at Corky's which was ok and at least I got the idea of dry rub ribs.  I did much better for lunch the next day at the A&R.

Littleman

• Total Posts: 590
                                              RE: I took a trip to the Rendevous Last weekend Sat, 02/5/11 2:41 PM (permalink)
                                              For good Memphis BBQ here are the top choices.

A & R Bar B Que @ 1802 Elvis Presley Blvd., Memphis, TN. 901 - 774 - 7444.
                                              http://www.aandrbbq.com/
                                              BBQ Shop @ 1782 Madison Ave., Memphis, TN. 901 - 272 - 1277.
                                              http://www.dancingpigs.com/
                                              Central BBQ @ 2249 Central Ave., Memphis, TN. 901 - 272 - 9377.
                                              Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous @ 52 S. Second St., Memphis, TN. 901 - 523 - 2746.
                                              http://www.hogsfly.com/
                                              Cozy Corner @ 745 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN. 901 - 527 - 9158.
                                              http://www.cozycornerbbq.com/
                                              Interstate BBQ @ 2265 S. Third St., Memphis, TN. 901 - 775 - 2304.
                                              http://www.interstatebarbecue.com/
                                              Neely's BBQ @ 670 Jefferson St., Memphis, TN. 901 - 521 - 9798.
                                              http://www.neelysbbq.com/
                                              One and Only BBQ @ 1779 Kirby Pkwy., Memphis, TN 901 - 751 - 3615.
                                              http://www.oneandonlybbq.com/
                                              Paynes BBQ @ 1762 Lamar Ave., Memphis, TN. 901 - 272 - 1523.

The BBQ Shop and One and Only are my favorites but Payne's is famous for their pulled pork sandwich.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com