A few days in Arkansas

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10178
2008/11/03 06:33:14 (permalink)

A few days in Arkansas

The plan is to fly into Memphis and spend the next few days checking out the sights and Roadfood in Arkansas.

Friday October 31, 2008 
After landing at Memphis airport, I took the shuttle to get my car rental. At the counter, the guy recognized me from my last trip here a month and a half ago as the "bbq guy". He told me again I need to go to Tom's BBQ on Getwell in Memphis.

But, my destination tonight was Neeley's BBQ. I know that they have a tv show, but I have never seen it. The reason I wanted to eat here is it came highly recommended by cecif and I think wanderingjew made positive comments about it in the past.

When I pulled up, there were plenty of cars in the parking lot, but the inside was deserted.

Where was everybody? I'm sure most people were busy with Halloween. Speaking of Halloween, since I was by myself, they sat me down at a booth right in front of the tv, which I appreciated. So, I sat there and watched Milla Jojovich kick some zombie butt in a movie. Ah, nothing whets your appetite for good bbq like seeing the undead feasting on the living!

Since this is Memphis, I had to start off with a side of bbq spaghetti.

The version here at Neeley's has plenty of small bits of pork and is heavy on their own bbq sauce. This was really good!

The bbq beans was also loaded with meat and sauce and was equally delicious.

Unfortunately, I didn't feel the same way about my pork sandwich.

I have never seen a sandwich like this before. The pork came in the shape of a tower, making it impossible to eat as a sandwich. The hard bun didn't help.

For dessert, they offered pecan pie or peach cobbler. Since I would be eating plenty of pie in the next few days, I went for the cobbler.

It was nice and warm and tasted fine.

After my recent experience in north Florida, where I could not get a decent glass of sweet tea, what I drank was a big improvment. I am ready to crown Memphis the sweet tea capitol of the South!

Since I was planning on just relaxing in my room for a few hours and watching to see if Milla survives or not, I placed a to go order for another Memphis specialty, bbq bologna.

Instead of a bun, it comes on toast, which was a nice touch. The cole slaw and the sauce ensures a messy meal, but still a very good sandwich! Overall, Neeley's gets a thumbs up. It is no Cozy Corner, but I would definitely go back for those sides.

http://www.neelysbbq.com/home.htm

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/05 15:44:09

127 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1