The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete)

MiamiDon

Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Mon, 11/3/08 10:52 AM (permalink)
On November 1st I drove up to Daytona Beach for BlueMaxx's weekend of racing and hamburger social (or, as Ellen4641 would say, "Meat-Up").

Before I went to the Daytona International Speedway, I stopped at the[url='http://stinkydogs.net/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1']Stinky Dog Diner[/url]. Here is the logo, if you were wondering about the name:

It is housed in a narrow little building.

Stinky Dog Diner 12-foot wide front:

The property, though, is 100 feet deep, and there is an indoor dining area and a patio in the rear. I elected to enjoy the fine Daytona Beach day outside.

Outdoor Patio Seating:

I chose the namesake Stinky Dog which comes with the house secret recipe meaty chili sauce, and had them add mustard and chopped onions. I asked about the Stinkade, and the owner rattled off a list of juices which included kiwi fruit. It sounded good, so I got that and a side of potato salad. They do not serve fried food here.

Stinky Dog, Potato Salad and Stinkade:

I spoke with the owner, Janet, who is from Buffalo.

Stinky Dog Proprietor Janet, with Bob? the Manager:

She told me that the secret meat sauce recipe was obtained from an old lady in northern Pennsylvania, who has since passed away. The frankfurter itself is a skinless, all-beef "Hent's" from Michigan. It was mildly flavored, and reminded me of the Hoffy frankfurter served at Pink's in Hollywood, although, of course without a casing.

The secret sauce was meaty and tasty, with and interesting mild spiciness. I also enjoyed the Stinkade. I found that the fresh-tasting potato salad was not salted enough for my taste, but there were salt shakers on the tables to easily remedy that.

Close-up of the Stinky Dog:

I recommend this place! Click on the link at the top to view the website and menu.

Off To The Races!

In another thread, Porche race car driver BlueMaxx gave detailed instructions on how to get into the track. Of course, I left them at home. After wandering around for a while, I found a great spot from which to watch the 3:30 PM race. It was on some bleachers between a hair-pin infield corner, and the banking of the high-speed section of the course.

Bluemaxx racer slowing down for tight turn:

At the Apex of the Turn:

Closeup of BlueMaxx at work:

Up on the high-speed banking:

It was fun at the track, and it was a nice sunny day with a breeze. wheregregeats.com and Baah Ben were in the garage when I arrived, and BlueMaxx patiently answered all of our questions about the car.

BlueMaxx changing tire after the race, being supervised by Baah Ben:

MEAT AND GREET AT [url='http://www.daytonabrickyard.com/']THE BRICKYARD BAR AND GRILL[/url]

Altogether, there were ten Roadfoodies and spouses and friends at the event:

Clockwise from the left: JohnA, wife Lou, SK_Bob, wife Peggy, BlueMaxx, Baah Ben, wheregreggeats.com, Ellen 4641 and MiamiDon.

Ellen and our generous host BlueMaxx and Baah Ben:

Soon, our orders were taken, and the smell of flame-broiled meat wafted over the crowd.

Burgers on the grill:

I ordered mine with provalone cheese and grilled onions. Notice the onions under the cheese.

Brickyard Cheeseburger as served:

Cut in half (with silly plastic knife) to reveal juiciness and doneness:

This was one juicy, flavorful burger. It cannot recall ever having a better burger of this type in a restaurant. Roadfoodie wheregreggeats.com stated before we were served that, "This is a burger that you have to commit to eating." He meant that it is so juicy that if one lets it stand too long the juices will make the bun disintegrate. He was right!

Baah Ben's neatly halved burger:

(He wisely obtained a steak knife!)

Ellen4641 after first bite of her burger:

I think she likes it!

She quickly made it disappear, and sat back looking satisfied:

A few baskets of the house specialty fried and grilled wings were ordered.

Ellen4641's Wings:

I got the hot garlic wings. The Brickyard deep-fries, sauces and then grills the wings. They were very, very good. They could have been a little more tender though. Perhaps an adjustment of the frying temperature and time could achieve this. Anyway, I greatly enjoyed them.

The fries were indifferent frozen ones. They were quite salty (and I like salt), and the edge of the burger touching them had a little jolt of salt. Perhaps they salted them in basket? We were a large crowd. Tell 'em to let you salt them yourself.

We stayed for quite a while, munching and talking. Everyone was quite nice, and the Roadfoodies immediately set to talking about food, restaurants and other Roadfood.com folks (no, I won't reveal who!). I had seen photos of all the Roadfoodies except for SK_Bob, so there were few surprises. One thing that you cannot tell about Ellen4641 from her postings is that she talks really fast and is quite energetic! No wonder she is able to stay so trim eating all of that great food on her trips.

On the way out, I stopped to admire SK_Bob's ride:

BREAKFAST ON DAY TWO

Before heading back south, I travelled over to Daytona Beach Shores for breakfast. At 3711 Atlantic Avenue is the Beach Quarters Resort, home to Mike's Galley. Both wheregreggeats.com and the book Meals Worth Stopping for in Florida recommended it.

Beach Quarters Resort:

There is not much to let one know that there is a restaurant there.

Then I noticed the van next to the resort sign:

Mike must be in!

Walking up to the building, I spotted this little sign above the alley on the south side:

Definitely a clue. I felt like I was on a treasure hunt.

Here is a view of the interior:

The whole place can't be much more than ten feet wide. I think that it is a converted hotel room. There is some outdoor seating on a balcony stretching around the building in an "L" shape. There are five two-person tables indoors, in addition to the round table in the photo. I think there were about five two-person tables outdoors. Definitely not a place for large parties.

Outdoor Seating:

Here is the view from the outdoor seating area:

That's [url='http://www.sunglowpier.com/']Crabby Joe's[/url] on the Sunglow Pier in the background. It was a bit windy and chilly out, so I elected to breakfast indoors. After perusing the menu, I chose "Mike's Mix", which was various choices of meats and/or vegetables scrambled into eggs with cheese. I asked the lovely waitress Laurie which was best, the ham, bacon or sausage, and she told me that I could have them all. I selected a biscuit and home fries for sides.

Mike's Mix Three Meats:

This is a two person operation, with Mike working the kitchen like a madman, and waitress Laurie helping out, in addition to handling the customers. I muchly enjoyed my breakfast. The recipes are said to be Mike's mom's. I saw Mike grabbing a baked ham from the fridge to slice some off for me, and it was very good, with nice crispy edges. The bacon was thickly sliced and smoky; the three-way combination worked well. The biscuit was good, and the home fries (available with or without onions) were great. The only negative for me was that the orange juice was not freshly squeezed, which is what I prefer.

Home-baked breads and pastries are house specialties, as are the pancakes and French toast.

Mike's Galley, in the Celebrity Resorts at Daytona Beach Shores, (formerly Beach Quarters Inn - the sign's still up), 3711 S. Atlantic Ave., Daytona Beach Shores; 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday and sometimes Tuesday, closed Monday and sometimes Tuesday 386-767-3119, ext. 104.

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
    RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Mon, 11/3/08 10:58 AM (permalink)
    Wow! Everyone was busy this weekend.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Mon, 11/3/08 1:13 PM (permalink)

Susan, Beyond the idea that meeting RF friends is fun, Day-Tripping this weekend was the only way to get away from the constant blare of the political Ads and the ringing of the phone demanding to know whom we shall vote for. Our roadtrip in Tennessee allowed fun, food, and peace and quiet !!

susanll

• Total Posts: 1077
        RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Mon, 11/3/08 1:17 PM (permalink)
        Yes, silence will return Wednesday. Thank goodness. I am so tired of hearing about Ronnie Musgrove and Roger Wicker. (Mississippi politicians and I live in TN)

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Mon, 11/3/08 2:01 PM (permalink)
          Thanks Don ...

I haven't mastered food photos yet ... My report really missed on those.

I'm glad knew the photos are coming -- I'd have been so depressed if I wasn't down there and seeing these pictures emerge.

Regarding the wings, I think I heard somebody asking for them "extra" crispy ... Most I encountered on the other end of the table were pretty juicy ... and of course, plenty crispy thanks to the grilling.

A great weekend.

I followed it up with a great day of brunch and relaxation at a friends house on the water in J'ville ... Grits, ham, biscuits, Mimosa, Bloody Marys, football (hosts didn't enjoy the game) ... a nice way to wrap up the weekend.

And finally, Monday morning, headed home.

Missed my flight this morning thanks to, speaking as a seasoned, experienced traveler, a NEW INDIGNITY -- the fact that my rental car has a new-fangled feature wherein it adjusts time automatically ... I knew I hadn't adjusted the time for day light savings time in the car myself, so I subtracted an hour in my head ... got to the airport 2 hours early, I THOUGHT, was actually here, killing time, until the brutal truth became clear.

So, I have a culinary adventure pending here at JAX (or maybe a DCA) ...

MiamiDon

RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Mon, 11/3/08 2:09 PM (permalink)
            Sorry to hear that you missed your flight, Gregg. My GPS corrected the time itself, but my car did not. Too bad that we did not get together at Mike's Galley. I think if you had been there, I would have gotten a second wind and made it to Pat's Riverside Cafe and maybe Crabby Joe's, too, for a hat-trick breakfast.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6071
              RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Mon, 11/3/08 2:34 PM (permalink)
              Hey, you guys look like you had a great time and great food.....perfect "meat-up'!!!!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7595
                RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Mon, 11/3/08 2:48 PM (permalink)
                Excellent! Bravo! I love your reports.

Incredible pictures of Bluemaxx and his car!!!

Wonderful pictures and wonderful descriptions. Almost as if I was there.

I love your description of how fast Ellen talks. I called it wound up!

You need to get out more so I can read more of your reports!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                  RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Mon, 11/3/08 3:04 PM (permalink)
                  MiamiDon, Excellent pics. Looked like a really good time.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                    RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Mon, 11/3/08 3:18 PM (permalink)
                    That little Pastrami Queen is a piece of work. Constant energy, which you need to devour all the different foods she's tried throughout the country. The trick is she does not finish everything she's served. For me, that would be a huge problem. Actually, I took the other half of my burger home and had it the following night with some fresh french fries..It tasted great.

blue heaven

• Total Posts: 486
                      RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Mon, 11/3/08 3:32 PM (permalink)
                      Hi Miami Don what a great report I have been through Daytona but never stayed for a while. You guys looked like you had a great time. Maybe my husband and I can meet up with you guys sometime. The only drawback is I am afraid of flying

MiamiDon

RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Mon, 11/3/08 4:03 PM (permalink)
                        blue heaven:

You should have gone! You are fifty miles closer to Daytona Beach than me! I pretty much had to drive because there are no direct flights. We were talking about doing it again some time, perhaps in the Palm Beach County area.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Tue, 11/4/08 10:47 AM (permalink)
                          Glad you enjoyed Mike's Galley.

I'm glad it is holding up since my last visit.

Sorry I couldn't rally to join you.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7595
                            RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Tue, 11/4/08 12:07 PM (permalink)
                            What a neat little restaurant. I love the setting, being able to look out on the water.

I bet that was Mike's dream and it's so nice to see it in action.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                              RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Tue, 11/4/08 4:40 PM (permalink)
                              Don,

Thanks so much for the pictures and descriptions! I really enjoyed this report. Stinky Dog is looking mighty good. Great shots of bluemaxx, the race and the gang!! I love the look of that Brickyard cheeseburger. I wish more places would put the onions UNDER the cheese! That Mike's Mix looks sorta like the "fretta" I had for breakfast at the Market Diner in Syracuse, NY a couple of months ago.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Tue, 11/4/08 10:23 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by mar52
                                Wonderful pictures and wonderful descriptions. Almost as if I was there.
                                I love your description of how fast Ellen talks. I called it wound up!

Sure WISH you could've been with us, Marlene! You would've fit in so nicely!
                                Appreciate you're being so endearing! I refer to myself as "wound up", as well! ( with a lot of nervous energy!) (can be interchanged with "neurotic" energy!)

And luckily, Miami Don,
                                I not only talk fast but I type fast on the keyboard, as well...
                                comes in handy when I start rambling!

ellen4641

RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Tue, 11/4/08 10:36 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by MiamiDon

Sorry to hear that you missed your flight, Gregg. My GPS corrected the time itself, but my car did not.

Hey GREGG, due to your time mix-up, you almost ended up on my 8 pm flight from JAX to Charlotte....!!! ( then I took the CLT- Philly flight) ...got back home late last night, Monday...
                                  I can always count on my cell phone for updating the time nicely.
                                  I did enjoy that extra bonus hour of vacation time on Sunday morning, due to the "fall back" time change.

Great report, MIAMI DON!
                                  Thanks for all your flattering comments . You certainly gave me plenty of good exposure.... wow..
                                  And any guy that says I look trim in okay in my book!!
                                  (I gained about 10 pounds the last bunch of months....too much good Roadfood! It's getting ridiculous....I need to go on a deserted island for a few months and get put on a starvation diet)

ellen4641

RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Tue, 11/4/08 10:37 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Baah Ben

That little Pastrami Queen is a piece of work. Constant energy, which you need to devour all the different foods she's tried throughout the country. The trick is she does not finish everything she's served.

You know me quite well now, Baah Ben......perfect description!!
                                    Hey, I hope you did'nt break out in a sweat "supervising" Bluemaxx's tire change! (LOL)

buffetbuster

RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Wed, 11/5/08 11:19 AM (permalink)
                                      MiamiDon-
                                      Nice report. You really do take excellent photos! That Mike's Galley looks like a real find. I wonder if enough people know about them to do a reasonable amount of business. The food sure does look good, though.

Great logo for Stinky Dogs diner, too. I just don't know if I could ask for a stinkade and keep a straight face.

crew84row

• Total Posts: 173
                                        RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Wed, 11/5/08 7:08 PM (permalink)
                                        ALL of BlueMaxx's RF Crew: Wow! Some mighty good eatin' there

Glad everyone had a good time. And thanks for sharing all the pics!!

Crew.

MiamiDon

RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Wed, 11/5/08 7:12 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by buffetbuster

MiamiDon-
                                          Nice report. You really do take excellent photos! That Mike's Galley looks like a real find. I wonder if enough people know about them to do a reasonable amount of business. The food sure does look good, though.

Great logo for Stinky Dogs diner, too. I just don't know if I could ask for a stinkade and keep a straight face.

I agree with you! But I got to speaking with the owner, and went along with the flow. She is an artist, and is really sweet.

tracy20

• Total Posts: 75
                                            RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Wed, 11/5/08 7:46 PM (permalink)
                                            Miami Don,

You truly do have the best trip reports, have enjoyed these alot. Thanks for sharing them with us....

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                                              RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Wed, 11/5/08 8:31 PM (permalink)
                                              Hello all ,

Great trip report Miami Don !!!!
                                              Stinky Dog and Mikes Galley I will have to check out next time in Florida .
                                              Kudos to Blue maxx for setting the meet up . Great photos of the race car!!
                                              Spot on description of Ellen , great gal by the way for those that have not met her .
                                              And great looking ride Bob , my father n law has a harley and its his " baby"

Benzee

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Sat, 11/15/08 11:19 AM (permalink)
                                                Again, great photos and an interesting recap of your experience. I feel I was there with all of you.

murmur

• Total Posts: 1
                                                  RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Fri, 07/29/11 2:46 AM (permalink)
                                                  Hi!
                                                   I'm  XiaoHua, I'm glad to meet you.
                                                  I like the people here,it makes me feel at home!
                                                  I'd like to help you in learning Chinese. Also hope to improve next myself in English.I hope we can be good friends

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                    • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                    RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Fri, 07/29/11 5:01 AM (permalink)
                                                    Good to meet you, too.I have no desire to learn Chinese, at this point in my life, but can teach you English and Roadfood.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                                      • Location: South Daytona, FL
                                                      RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Mon, 08/1/11 8:47 PM (permalink)
                                                      bad news, Stinky Dogs has  closed down

ellen4641

• Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                                        RE: Daytona Beach 2008 (Complete) Wed, 08/3/11 10:54 PM (permalink)
                                                        sk bob

bad news, Stinky Dogs has  closed down

Well, that just STINKS :(    !!
                                                        Glad I got to try it that one time, tho ...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com