New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops

Author
uvcatastrophe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2003/03/30 21:25:56 (permalink)

New Orleans to Austin - I-10 food stops

I'm about to take a nice long drive up I-10 from New Orleans to Austin, with a stopover at a friend's place in Humble (northern Houston) for the night. Can anyone recommend a good place to stop on the way?

I'm open to any ideas, excepting :

- Texas bar-b-que. I grew up in Tulsa. I learned about bar-b-que in Tulsa. I learned to hate Texas in Tulsa (and Norman, Oklahoma). Regardless of how ineffably wondrous that the stuff actually is, Texas bar-b-que must remain nothing short than an unmitigated travesty and a near-violation of the Geneva Convention if I am to retain any hometown pride.

- Louie's Cafe in Baton Rouge. I'm already dropping by here for coffee. As I've explained elsewhere, the waitstaff there appears to be entirely made of that perky punky pierce'n'tattoo girl archetype that just makes my mind ache.

I am hoping to hear of a good place in either Lake Charles or Lafayette. Also, if you can recommend a joint in Austin, that would help. Outside of places listed in Roadfood, I've heard of a coffeeshop near campus called the Spider House... any other ideas?

12 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1