The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Fall season tv shows

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 48 of 48
jman

• Total Posts: 1277
RE: Fall season tv shows Tue, 03/4/14 12:37 PM (permalink)
EdSails

jman

Ancient Aliens
The Profit
Chasing Classic Cars

I do love watching Ancient Aliens. it is one of my favorite comedies!

He's better than most of the guys on SNL!

Why the attitude? The show is well produced and by featuring the ruins of ancient civilizations, they do bring up interesting questions.  Where did these ancient civilizations get their technologies? How did civilizations thousands of miles apart and on different continents build similar structures? How did civilizations thousands of miles apart build structures which align with structures of other civilizations?  Their theories, when backed up by physical evidence, is no less valid than the theories of "real scientists" such as theoretic physicists.
<message edited by jman on Tue, 03/4/14 12:42 PM>

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3591
    RE: Fall season tv shows Tue, 03/4/14 1:02 PM (permalink)
    jman

EdSails

jman

Ancient Aliens
    The Profit
    Chasing Classic Cars

Why the attitude? The show is well produced and by featuring the ruins of ancient civilizations, they do bring up interesting questions.  Where did these ancient civilizations get their technologies? How did civilizations thousands of miles apart and on different continents build similar structures? How did civilizations thousands of miles apart build structures which align with structures of other civilizations?  Their theories, when backed up by physical evidence, is no less valid than the theories of "real scientists" such as theoretic physicists.

Attitude? I've said that I enjoy the show, therefore I watch it. I actually have done a lot of reading on the subject over the last 40 years since I first read Velikovsky in my teens and don't disagree with a lot of the conclusions. However, the way the show is done is as entertainment and at that somewhat campy. To me, the show doesn't take itself too seriously, but it is entertaining. Many of the subjects such as the Indian "vimanas" have been debated for years but they do get people who wholeheartedly believe it to be true. That's "show business" and keeps the advertisers and viewers coming. At that, the show is very successful. 

PS I do agree they bring up interesting questions----and that's one of the reasons I keep watching. I also agree that a lot of things are not necessarily as they seem. You certainly have read a lot into the one sentence regarding Giorgio Tsoukalos!    

jman

• Total Posts: 1277
      RE: Fall season tv shows Tue, 03/4/14 1:36 PM (permalink)
      EdSails

jman

EdSails

jman

Ancient Aliens
      The Profit
      Chasing Classic Cars

Attitude? I've said that I enjoy the show, therefore I watch it. I actually have done a lot of reading on the subject over the last 40 years since I first read Velikovsky in my teens and don't disagree with a lot of the conclusions. However, the way the show is done is as entertainment and at that somewhat campy. To me, the show doesn't take itself too seriously, but it is entertaining. Many of the subjects such as the Indian "vimanas" have been debated for years but they do get people who wholeheartedly believe it to be true. That's "show business" and keeps the advertisers and viewers coming. At that, the show is very successful. 

PS I do agree they bring up interesting questions----and that's one of the reasons I keep watching. I also agree that a lot of things are not necessarily as they seem. You certainly have read a lot into the one sentence regarding Giorgio Tsoukalos!    

Sorry, Ed. I didn't quite catch your drift. It sounded like you thought it was not a serious show. I don't always agree with some of their conclusions, but I am fascinated by their visits to Central and South America to explore the ruins while comparing them with other structures in places like Africa and England. I'm also inquisitive as to how the ancients built such architecturally and mechanically difficult structures. Heck, we can't even build a bridge that doesn't require major maintenance within the first 10-15 years of construction.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3707
        RE: Fall season tv shows Wed, 03/5/14 7:40 AM (permalink)
        I havent watched Ancient Aliens in a while ... that guy appears to have put on weight and lowered his hair.

That said, I have toured Tiawanaku high in the Bolivian Andes; there is no way that the ancient ancestors of the Aymara could have produced such cuts in granite with the tools and technology available millenia ago.

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
          RE: Fall season tv shows Wed, 03/5/14 6:21 PM (permalink)
          We've really been enjoying Hannibal, Almost Human, Agents of SHIELD and the usual fare of Castle and Person of Interest. Was sad to see Sleepy Hollow finish up its season early and Almost Human, too. But, I'm really glad Hannibal is back for a 2nd season. May possibly be the best thing out there right now.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3591
            RE: Fall season tv shows Wed, 03/5/14 6:46 PM (permalink)
            MetroplexJim

I havent watched Ancient Aliens in a while ... that guy appears to have put on weight and lowered his hair.

That said, I have toured Tiawanaku high in the Bolivian Andes; there is no way that the ancient ancestors of the Aymara could have produced such cuts in granite with the tools and technology available millenia ago.

That is what I do enjoy about that general subject----it really makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
              RE: Fall season tv shows Wed, 03/5/14 7:15 PM (permalink)
              MetroplexJim

Darn. I wondered where I left that thing.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                RE: Fall season tv shows Thu, 03/27/14 11:43 AM (permalink)
                Drama Fever channel for my Korean Soap Operas.

Real Housewives of Atlanta currently supplies my American drama....in much higher volume.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                  RE: Fall season tv shows Thu, 03/27/14 11:00 PM (permalink)
                  Nothing like jumping into a 6 year old thread, but I've recently discovered a fairly new show on Comedy Central called Broad City that I find laugh-out loud hilarious, and I rarely laugh out loud at TV shows.

I thought my days of watching two pot smoking twenty-somethings ended with Cheech and Chong 35 years ago, but this one is like Cheech and Chong 2014 only now it's two girls and they live in NY City and sleep around a bit when the pot plot lines slow down, so there's that too.

http://www.cc.com/shows/broad-city

CCinNJ

RE: Fall season tv shows Fri, 03/28/14 2:04 AM (permalink)
                    Come to think of it... 6 years later...& it's not even Fall.

I love watching the World Series of Poker when it rolls around every year.

If it's not a funny and/or a ridiculously dysfunctional show...let it be full of strategy profit sunglasses indoors & gaudy bracelets for the winners.

💰💰💰
                    <message edited by CCinNJ on Fri, 03/28/14 2:15 AM>

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                      RE: Fall season tv shows Fri, 03/28/14 2:49 PM (permalink)
                      I enjoy that one also but my wife hates it.
                      Charlie

ken8038

Nothing like jumping into a 6 year old thread, but I've recently discovered a fairly new show on Comedy Central called Broad City that I find laugh-out loud hilarious, and I rarely laugh out loud at TV shows.

I thought my days of watching two pot smoking twenty-somethings ended with Cheech and Chong 35 years ago, but this one is like Cheech and Chong 2014 only now it's two girls and they live in NY City and sleep around a bit when the pot plot lines slow down, so there's that too.

http://www.cc.com/shows/broad-city

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                        RE: Fall season tv shows Fri, 03/28/14 2:59 PM (permalink)
                        I wonder how long a show of people doing nothing but jumping sharks would last...

Apparently the real-life, self-narrated retrospective sitcom is the hot 30-minute ticket on network TV this season.  ABC started it with The Goldbergs, NBC rolled out Growing Up Fisher a few weeks back, and last night Fox premiered Surviving Jack.

CCinNJ

RE: Fall season tv shows Sat, 03/29/14 1:27 AM (permalink)
                          There's a show on ABC called The Neighbors.

They moved from my beloved Bayonne NJ to Hidden Hills...where the neighbors are aliens. Aliens! C'mon now.

ScreamingChicken

RE: Fall season tv shows Sat, 03/29/14 3:21 PM (permalink)
                            I've often wondered if your real name is Debbie Weaver!

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
                              RE: Fall season tv shows Sun, 03/30/14 2:51 PM (permalink)
                              I'll be watching the final of "How I met your mother" tomorrow. The paper, today, called it one of the great ensemble shows. I'm surprised that it lasted 9 years. I do appreciate it, though, when stake holders find the way to bring a show to a conclusion. Blacklist keeps getting better, and Intelligence is not half bad, especially compared to Almost Human which I've watched for only an episode and a half.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                                RE: Fall season tv shows Sun, 03/30/14 6:01 PM (permalink)
                                I've watched "How I met your Mother" from the beginning because Ted was an architect.

ScreamingChicken

RE: Fall season tv shows Sun, 03/30/14 9:13 PM (permalink)
                                  Another fan of "HIMYM" here.  Davydd, I hope you weren't too Ted-like in your earlier years.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                                    RE: Fall season tv shows Mon, 03/31/14 5:53 PM (permalink)
                                    I was probably more like "Dave Willis" (Peter Duel) in an old sitcom Love on a Rooftop. Dave was a married (to Judy Carne) architect who made $85.37 per week.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                      Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 48 of 48

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com