The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

 Beefsteak Charlie's coming back!

Author Message
GreenCheese

  • Total Posts: 1
  • Joined: 11/14/2008
  • Location: Hempstead, NY
Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Fri, 11/14/08 9:44 PM (permalink)
Was at Sunrise Mall on Long Island a couple of weeks ago and was shocked to see a Beefsteak Charlie's is coming in there where Ruby Tuesday's used to be.

I didn't know they were even still in existence. Had my first date at a Beefsteak Charlie's in the late 1970's :).

Do they have a website anyone knows of? I couldn't find any.
 
#1
    plb

    RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Fri, 11/14/08 10:32 PM (permalink)
    "Beer, wine or sangria, all free, absolutely free with your dinner at Beefsteak Charlie’s tonight."
     
    #2
      Tony Bad

      RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Fri, 11/14/08 10:44 PM (permalink)
      I always think of the Saturday Night Live skit from the late 70's or early 80's for "Pre-Chewed Charlie's" where they had employees chew the food to make it less work for the customers.

      Looking back, Pre-Chewed, I mean Beefsteak Charlie's near where I grew up was kind of a dump, but the kind that seemed like a classy joint when we were 18.
       
      #3
        David_NYC

        • Total Posts: 2162
        • Joined: 8/1/2004
        • Location: New York, NY
        RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Fri, 11/14/08 10:46 PM (permalink)
        The only thing I did find is a federal trademark registration effective July 1, 2003 for 'Beefsteak Charlie's". Newsday didn't publish anything lately. If I remember correctly, the corporation that owned the original chain went bankrupt.

        Only time will tell who is behind this enterprise, and if they will try to emulate the Beefsteak Charlie's of old. For all we know, it is being opened by some kid too young to remember Beefsteak Charlie's. However, with Kluge's Ponderosa and Bonanza steakhouse chains having declared chapter 11 bankrupcy recently, I doubt this restaurant at Sunrise Mall can survive financially using the model we all remember.
         
        #4
          David_NYC

          • Total Posts: 2162
          • Joined: 8/1/2004
          • Location: New York, NY
          RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Fri, 11/14/08 10:56 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by plb

          "Beer, wine or sangria, all free, absolutely free with your dinner at Beefsteak Charlie’s tonight."
          Someone posted the recipe for the Sangria here a while back. The active ingredient was Carlo Rossi jug wine, coming from Ernest and Julio's winery. One of the last times I ate at a BC when they were still offering all the alcohol you could drink before you puked, I asked whose beer it was. It was Piels or Schaefer or one of those other Metro Area cheap lagers. That stuff, in barrels, was ridiculously cheap back in those days. That concept wont't fly these days anymore.
           
          #5
            CCinNJ

            • Total Posts: 7762
            • Joined: 7/24/2008
            • Location: Bayonne, NJ
            RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Fri, 11/14/08 11:06 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by David_NYC

            quote:
            Originally posted by plb

            "Beer, wine or sangria, all free, absolutely free with your dinner at Beefsteak Charlie’s tonight."
            Someone posted the recipe for the Sangria here a while back. The active ingredient was Carlo Rossi jug wine, coming from Ernest and Julio's winery. One of the last times I ate at a BC when they were still offering all the alcohol you could drink before you puked, I asked whose beer it was. It was Piels or Schaefer or one of those other Metro Area cheap lagers. That stuff, in barrels, was ridiculously cheap back in those days. That concept wont't fly these days anymore.


            Before you puked?

            Damn! I should have reminded them to remind me to stop.

            Whenever I hear BC, I think about how very dark it was in the restaurants and Crazy Eddie. No common link for the two (except bankrupcy and the 80s).

            If you are not from the NYC television market, you missed some INSAAAAANE commercials!

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc-Mhynh_pg



             
            #6
              Tony Bad

              RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Fri, 11/14/08 11:09 PM (permalink)
              That sangria always looked better than it tasted...and CC, I too remember the dark thing. Maybe that was so you wouldn't notice the cheap decor and poor housekeeping!
               
              #7
                CCinNJ

                • Total Posts: 7762
                • Joined: 7/24/2008
                • Location: Bayonne, NJ
                RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Fri, 11/14/08 11:16 PM (permalink)
                I remember all the peel & eat shrimp you could see (or eat) until you were not sober enough to see them, peel them, or eat them anymore. I also remember that I had to be at least 3 pitchers into a trip, to brave the restroom (talk about poor housekeeping). Then, I would always say "never mind"
                 
                #8
                  ellen4641

                  • Total Posts: 3531
                  • Joined: 5/1/2004
                  • Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                  RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Fri, 11/14/08 11:35 PM (permalink)
                  I imagine someone just bought the rights to use the name Beefsteak Charlies..

                  I remember the one right in Times Square, and there was another one in the center isle of Route 22, Union, NJ, just a few miles or so from where I grew up.

                  Good connotation; CCinNJ: CRAZY EDDIE'S and Beefsteak Charlies !
                  They do "connotate" actually, as far as I'm concerned... as there was a Crazy Eddie's practically next to that Beefsteak Charlie's on Route 22.

                  Crazy Eddie .....I still remember those commercials!
                  "Crazy Eddie's......his prices are INSAAAAANE !!!!"

                  Crazy Eddie Antar; there are still occasionally articles in the Newark Star Ledger regarding his fate... I believe he is thought of as a nice guy in many circles; a "decent crook" if there was one..
                  (oxymoron, I know) ........and someone who treated his wife real well...
                  he just had some bad "bookkeeping" skills?!?

                  P.S. I just googled "Crazy Eddie".....his whole story came up on Wikipedia.
                  He used to have 43 stores. (electronics)
                  Sent to prison in 97 for 8 years. Released in 99
                   
                  #9
                    joerogo

                    • Total Posts: 4469
                    • Joined: 1/17/2006
                    • Location: Pittston, PA
                    RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Sat, 11/15/08 8:41 AM (permalink)
                    I remember going to Beefsteak Charlie's in Fort lauderdale during spring break. I think they would have been better off closing that time of year.
                     
                    #10
                      ChiTownDiner

                      RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Sat, 11/15/08 9:08 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by joerogo

                      I remember going to Beefsteak Charlie's in Fort lauderdale during spring break. I think they would have been better off closing that time of year.


                      Visited that same one 4 years in row at the same time each year...it was a contest to guess which table would puke first. I've never seen a staff so well trained in disaster recovery.

                      You've got an innocent young family out for a specail dinner. Surrounding them, 4 tables of college kids on Spring Break with a one meal a day budget. Table 4 has just been seated and is asking for everything. Table 3 has been there 20 minutes and already the jokes, language and pranks are starting. Table 2 has been there 40 minutes, are half in the bag and the family in the middle is covering the kids ears. Table 1, now there for over an hour starts the run on containers. As the first guy heave hoes, the whole table joins in. The shocked fmaily in the middle can't get the check fast enough. With in minutes, the table is reset and everyone moves up a notch. Ah...the memories!
                       
                      #11
                        plb

                        RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Sat, 11/15/08 8:09 PM (permalink)
                        I only tried their all you could drink beer once. It was at something like E 86th around Lex. I sat at the bar and when I got up to walk home I could not stand up straight. It was not the alcohol, I was not drunk, but the rot-gut cramped me up. I walked all the way home bent over like the Hunchback of Notre Dame (not to be confused with that other IN school).
                         
                        #12
                          ken8038

                          • Total Posts: 1560
                          • Joined: 2/4/2004
                          • Location: scotch plains, NJ
                          RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Sat, 11/15/08 8:46 PM (permalink)
                          <<I remember all the peel & eat shrimp you could see (or eat) >>

                          It's funny you should mention that, when I think of Beefsteak Charlies what I remember most is their TV commercial showing a man and a woman at a table shoveling fistfulls of shrimp in thier mouths and moaning "Shrimp! Shrimp! Oooh Shrimp! over and over again. I still think of that whenever I'm at a reception or cocktail hour or something and there's a shrimp bowl at the food table.

                          And yes, I also remember it being a semi "fancy" place to take a date back in the early 70's when I was in my early 20's (well, at least compared to some of the other places I used to take dates...)
                           
                          #13
                            David_NYC

                            • Total Posts: 2162
                            • Joined: 8/1/2004
                            • Location: New York, NY
                            RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Sat, 11/15/08 11:34 PM (permalink)
                            Ah, the memories. I would actually pay the current going rate for a recreation of those days at Beefsteak Charlie's. It probably would be up to 60 bucks today to be able to get the entree, and unlimited shrimp and "beer, wine and sangria."
                             
                            #14
                              CCinNJ

                              • Total Posts: 7762
                              • Joined: 7/24/2008
                              • Location: Bayonne, NJ
                              RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Sun, 11/16/08 12:16 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by David_NYC

                              Ah, the memories. I would actually pay the current going rate for a recreation of those days at Beefsteak Charlie's. It probably would be up to 60 bucks today to be able to get the entree, and unlimited shrimp and "beer, wine and sangria."


                              Me too!

                              BC would be the perfect future date qualifer.

                              Extra points for another date if said party...

                              Peels the shrimp for me. Well, since it would be so dark, walk to get the shrimp, too.

                              Laughs along, as I drink copious amounts of sangria. Many extra points if said party would drink soda, and drive, after dinner.

                              Reminds me that we actually did go on this date, after my sangria is done. My memory might not be so great, the next day.

                              Yes, I am VERY high maintenance. But, this is what would happen if I was asked out on a date to Beefsteak Charlie's.

                              Thanksgiving throwback, Beefsteak Charlie's style...

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3FtFmEKGKQ





                               
                              #15
                                joerogo

                                • Total Posts: 4469
                                • Joined: 1/17/2006
                                • Location: Pittston, PA
                                RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Sun, 11/16/08 12:01 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by ChiTownDiner

                                quote:
                                Originally posted by joerogo

                                I remember going to Beefsteak Charlie's in Fort lauderdale during spring break. I think they would have been better off closing that time of year.


                                Visited that same one 4 years in row at the same time each year...it was a contest to guess which table would puke first. I've never seen a staff so well trained in disaster recovery.

                                You've got an innocent young family out for a specail dinner. Surrounding them, 4 tables of college kids on Spring Break with a one meal a day budget. Table 4 has just been seated and is asking for everything. Table 3 has been there 20 minutes and already the jokes, language and pranks are starting. Table 2 has been there 40 minutes, are half in the bag and the family in the middle is covering the kids ears. Table 1, now there for over an hour starts the run on containers. As the first guy heave hoes, the whole table joins in. The shocked fmaily in the middle can't get the check fast enough. With in minutes, the table is reset and everyone moves up a notch. Ah...the memories!


                                ChiTownDiner, I never ran across any families. And they never had shrimp during spring break.

                                The line was always out the door. The only time a table would open up is when someone started to pray at the porcelain alter or were too drunk to be served.

                                 
                                #16
                                  marky90

                                  • Total Posts: 44
                                  • Joined: 1/24/2007
                                  • Location: Dearborn, MI
                                  RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Mon, 11/17/08 1:26 AM (permalink)
                                  Memories of living in Ft. Lauderdale in 1985 and going to Beefsteak Charlies on Sunrise Blvd, with a bunch of out of town spring breakers and ordering the 7.99 Burger, with the all you can eat peeled shrimp, the pitchers of sangria and heading to "The Strip" OOPs we forgot to eat out burger..................
                                   
                                  #17
                                    MiamiDon

                                    RE: Beefsteak Charlie's coming back! Mon, 11/17/08 9:26 AM (permalink)
                                    When I lived on the other side of the Palmetto expressway from Miami Springs, there was a Cheapsteak Barley's on NW 36 street across from the Miami airport. They used to offer all-you-can-eat ribs, with all-you-can-eat shrimp, and all-you-can-eat salad bar along with all-you-can-drink beer, wine, sangria or soda for $10.99. For about $26 (15% tip in those days) you had a dinner date. We twenty-somethings were all over that. We used to go in packs, get a big table and slip the waiter/waitress some cash and tell her to just keep the ribs coming until we said stop.

                                    Now that the cost is not important, I have to worry about DUI, my waistline and cholesterol.
                                     
                                    #18
                                      Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                      Jump to:

                                      Current active users

                                      There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                                      Icon Legend and Permission

                                      • New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

                                      2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com