The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Sat, 11/15/08 7:24 AM (permalink)
100% visit again.............These two are the luckiest people in the world. Eating everywhere in ths wonderful country of our's. What a life! Who could ask for anything more..Did you see that building. Pure beauty. Pure roadfood!

I just wanted to get in my car and head to Oklahoma! Jeez. Swine heaven

buffetbuster

RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Sat, 11/15/08 7:37 AM (permalink)
    If I remember correctly, we have discussed Van's in some previous threads and there were some posters I respect who said they didn't particularly care for it. I was there in 2001 and really enjoyed the place. Plus any bbq parlor that has a pig sign like that gets a thumbs up!

To me, I still think of Oklahoma as beef country.

Baah Ben

RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Sat, 11/15/08 8:04 AM (permalink)
      BB - Is this an old post? I did not notice the date. What I saw were those ribs and that great neon sign and that little building. I thought Oklahoma was known for their BBQ?

I went back, but I cannot find a date so I just assumed the Sterns were there recently. They are everywhere I'm not! I HATE THEM! Just kidding

buffetbuster

RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Sat, 11/15/08 8:19 AM (permalink)
        Baah Ben-
        This place has been in their books for years. Oklahoma does have very good bbq. But, I would think it would have just as many beef bbq places as pork places. Or like the wonderful Wilson's BBQ in Tulsa, they do both very well. I would be very interested in what tiki or others have to say.

Hey, I love them both!

MiamiDon

RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Sat, 11/15/08 8:21 AM (permalink)
          Of course, one cannot tell flavor from a photo, but the ones in the review sure made the food look great to me too, Baah Ben.

Here is a[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2975']link to the review[/url], for after it scrolls off the home page.
          <message edited by MiamiDon on Sat, 01/24/09 4:57 AM>

BR

• Total Posts: 233
            RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Sat, 11/15/08 8:36 AM (permalink)
            Those ribs look amazing and the pig sandwich looks tasty also. I've never been to Van's Pig Stand but have tasted his original sauce. If you like bbq sauce with cinnamon or allspice(not sure which spice it is)
            you'll like his sauce. I don't care for that direction in a bbq sauce. It's okay just not my thing. I live in Oklahoma maybe 50 miles from Shawnee. The next time I'm near Shawnee I'll give those ribs a try.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
              RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Sat, 11/15/08 10:15 AM (permalink)
              Van's is great eating--the Pig Sandwich is really their forte---but over all i would say that USUALLY in Oklahoma--brisket is king--with ribs in second place---My favorite que in the state is Smokehouse Bob's in Muskogee--killer brisket--and AWESOME SIDES--the BEST beans in the state--loaded with lots of bits off the chopping block--a side of their beans has more meat then some of the sandwiches i have had at other places----and their PIES!!! REALLY good!!!--they grow a lot of their own produce too--esp. the sweet potatoes in the pies!

Baah Ben

RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Sat, 11/15/08 8:53 PM (permalink)
                I think she's (Ellen) making an airline reservation right now

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Sat, 11/15/08 11:39 PM (permalink)

Van's is a given for us on any trip West. It is a bit off-course when we use I-44 instead of I-40, but it is worth the miles!! We have visited the place at least a dozen times in the past decade and have yet to get a bad meal.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                    RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Sun, 11/16/08 5:17 PM (permalink)
                    Man, I would love to take a bite out of that rib right now!

BR

• Total Posts: 233
                      RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Tue, 11/18/08 10:21 AM (permalink)
                      Tiki... I'll give Smokehouse Bob's a try real soon. I'm only 30 minutes from Muskogee, about halfway between Broken Arrow and Coweta.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                        RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Tue, 11/18/08 11:48 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by BR

Tiki... I'll give Smokehouse Bob's a try real soon. I'm only 30 minutes from Muskogee, about halfway between Broken Arrow and Coweta.

Give me an email message when you do and i will meet you there!

mhill95

• Total Posts: 189
                          RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Tue, 11/18/08 12:04 PM (permalink)

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Tue, 11/18/08 1:01 PM (permalink)
                            MHill,

Thanks for the link. I was not aware that Van's had more than one location. We have always taken the short ride south of I-40 in Shawnee to the Highland St Location.

While we have tried some of the other choices on the menu, I am usually craving Ribs by the time we arrive, so that has been my usual choice. But the Pork and the Beef are very good also.

easy1

• Total Posts: 45
                              RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Tue, 11/18/08 1:04 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Baah Ben

100% visit again.............These two are the luckiest people in the world. Eating everywhere in ths wonderful country of our's. What a life! Who could ask for anything more..Did you see that building. Pure beauty. Pure roadfood!

I just wanted to get in my car and head to Oklahoma! Jeez. Swine heaven

I ate at the Van's in Norman about three years ago, it was great! I live on Cape Cod, but I get to travel a lot for business, one of my quests is to find great Q. Van's is definitely in the top five!

We had spent our first night outside DFW, so we had steak the first night in Texas, and drove to Norman the next morning. Our host who hails from Norman offered to take us out to dinner, then on a tour of the OU campus. We asked for BBQ, and he took us straight to Van's. I had the three meat combo, ribs/brisket/chopped pig with fries and beans. All were great, plus the tour through the OU campus was amzing, what a beautiful campus!

Baah Ben

RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Tue, 11/18/08 1:06 PM (permalink)
                                Mizzo's campus was also really nice..Just wondering if all the colleges in that conference have nice campuses? I know they have some damn good QB's!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Fri, 01/23/09 9:46 PM (permalink)
                                   Ben,
                                     I have family in Rolla, MO Home of Mizzo's Engineering School. It is a great college town, but Johnnies Smokestack BBQ has gone downhill over the past ten years...So that leaves a great Pie Shop and some clusters of FF as travelers nourishment stops as you pass thru on I-44

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                                    RE: Did you catch the Stern's Rating On Van's Fri, 01/23/09 10:23 PM (permalink)
                                    Baah Ben

Mizzo's campus was also really nice..Just wondering if all the colleges in that conference have nice campuses? I know they have some damn good QB's!

KU's campus is very Andy Hardyesque, with good food surrounding it too.
                                    And Todd Reisling rules in 2009

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com