The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Short Trip to Charleston WV

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
Short Trip to Charleston WV Sun, 11/16/08 3:08 PM (permalink)
I made a quick trip to WV to visit my mom. I stopped at Romeo's Pub in South Charleston WV for a Hot Bologna sandwich & a WV hot dog.

The hot dog was great- spicy chili,chopped onions,cole slaw, & mustard. However, the Hot Bologna sandwich was a disappointment. On the positive side- the bologna was thick sliced & nicely grilled, the bun was fresh & large enough for the bologna with plenty of crisp lettuce and sliced tomatoes. On the negative, it had chopped onions rather than thick slices & very little hot sauce. The last time I had a Romeo's Hot Bologna sandwich it had plenty of sauce & a thick slice of onion. I'll now need to find another Hot Bologna place to go to next time I am home.

On my way out of town I drove through Tudor's Biscuit World. I had a biscuit sandwich- large flakey bisuit, an over easy fried egg(lots of liquid yolk when I bit into the sandwich) with country ham( a large & thick slice). I also had a hash brown pattie- the pattie was obviously frozen, but it was fried very crisp and crunchy. Boy, I wish we had Tudor's in Indiana.

My best meal was at my mom's- her pork barbecue,cole slaw, potato salad,all homemade. For dessert her made from scratch butterscotch pie.

mmarkovitz

• Total Posts: 80
    RE: Short Trip to Charleston WV Sun, 11/16/08 3:13 PM (permalink)
    Could you not ask for more hot sauce and onion? Just a thought.

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
      RE: Short Trip to Charleston WV Sun, 11/16/08 4:11 PM (permalink)
      Unfortunately, I got my order to go. And I did not have time to go back & have them change the sandwich. Also, I hate having to go back & have an order corrected. Why can't they just make it right the first time. I surmise either they had only chopped onions or were too lazy to make slices. As for the sauce, there was so little sauce that the sandwich tasted more like a regular fried baloney sandwich than a hot baloney sandwich.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
        RE: Short Trip to Charleston WV Sun, 11/16/08 5:03 PM (permalink)
        Can't beat Mom's cooking

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
          Re:Short Trip to Charleston WV Thu, 08/13/09 9:22 AM (permalink)
          claracamille, I feel the same way about Tudor's Biscuit World. I wouldn't mind seeing one open in my area ( not gonna happen, unfortunately. )  

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17817
            Re:Short Trip to Charleston WV Thu, 08/13/09 9:37 AM (permalink)
            claracamille

I made a quick trip to WV to visit my mom. I stopped at Romeo's Pub in South Charleston WV for a Hot Bologna sandwich & a WV hot dog.

The hot dog was great- spicy chili,chopped onions,cole slaw, & mustard. However, the Hot Bologna sandwich was a disappointment. On the positive side- the bologna was thick sliced & nicely grilled, the bun was fresh & large enough for the bologna with plenty of crisp lettuce and sliced tomatoes. On the negative, it had chopped onions rather than thick slices & very little hot sauce. The last time I had a Romeo's Hot Bologna sandwich it had plenty of sauce & a thick slice of onion. I'll now need to find another Hot Bologna place to go to next time I am home.

On my way out of town I drove through Tudor's Biscuit World. I had a biscuit sandwich- large flakey bisuit, an over easy fried egg(lots of liquid yolk when I bit into the sandwich) with country ham( a large & thick slice). I also had a hash brown pattie- the pattie was obviously frozen, but it was fried very crisp and crunchy. Boy, I wish we had Tudor's in Indiana.

My best meal was at my mom's- her pork barbecue,cole slaw, potato salad,all homemade. For dessert her made from scratch butterscotch pie.

Oh, if only a Biscuit World would open up here in Ohio. I might even forsake my beloved Waffle House.

My first-ever fried bologna sandwich was from a little carry-out breakfast and lunch-only shop on Hale Street in downtown Charleston -- right next to the front entrance to Waybright Cafeteria (the back entrance that I always used was on Dickinson Street). It was a revelation. It came with pickles, a thick slice of onion and mustard.

RKB

• Total Posts: 168
              Re:Short Trip to Charleston WV Wed, 08/19/09 7:26 PM (permalink)
              Michael, a Tudor's just opened in Xenia. After stopping in one in WV and two visits to the one here in town, I don't see what everyone is raving about. Their greasy biscuits are mediocre at best, and their gravy  ....well, I expected something other than plain brown gravy when I ordered a biscuit and gravy. Two bites of that, and in the trash it went.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17817
                Re:Short Trip to Charleston WV Wed, 08/19/09 8:22 PM (permalink)
                Roadkill Bill

Michael, a Tudor's just opened in Xenia. After stopping in one in WV and two visits to the one here in town, I don't see what everyone is raving about. Their greasy biscuits are mediocre at best, and their gravy  ....well, I expected something other than plain brown gravy when I ordered a biscuit and gravy. Two bites of that, and in the trash it went.

That's interesting. I've never had a greasy biscuit or anything other than really good gravy at a Biscuit World in West Virginia.

• Total Posts: 335
                  Re:Short Trip to Charleston WV Sun, 08/30/09 8:26 PM (permalink)
                  Roadkill Bill

Michael, a Tudor's just opened in Xenia.

Where?  I just went to the Tudor's website, and the only Ohio locations listed are Proctorville and Gallipolis, which are right across from West Virginia.  I live in Beavercreek, by the way, yet I don't get to Xenia all that much.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com