The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2982
2008/11/16 22:53:25 (permalink)

The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81)

We've eaten at The Anthracite many, many times, and I've written about it and raved about it once or twice; but I've never posted a review with pictures. (For the photography-curious; two separate visits. On one visit we were directly under a track light!)

The Anthracite is a little bit out of the way (at 804 Scott Street in Wilkes-Barre, PA, if you are setting your GPS) but it is worth the extra turn or two if you are passing by on 81, and it is DEFINITELY worth the stop if you are staying in the area. The people are friendly and the food is cheap, fresh, homemade, and really, really good.

Decor is local color; The Anthracite used to be a VFW. The main dining room is a big, high-ceilinged box, and the walls are covered with old black and white photos of the region's history.

The pesto bruschetta is our appetizer of choice... really, the photo tells you all you need to know about why we love this place. $7.95 for fresh tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, pine nuts, shaved parmesan, black olives, and home made focaccia... and that presentation! WHAT is not to like?

Homemade soups... vegetable clam chowder, and chicken pastine. Like mama used to make. Really. No lie. Cup of soup, $1.95.

Entrees... This is something called Hawg Wings. It is pork shank seasoned with homemade bbq sauce (not slathered, but seasoned), presented with fried potato wedges and roasted red pepper strips... $11.95.

Chicken scampi over rice... in this valley, you have to have the scampis on the menu.

Some chickeny Mexican thing:

Of course, we drank from[url='http://mybeerbuzz-anthracite.blogspot.com/2008/07/bottle-list-as-of-81-anthracite-cafe.html']the extensive beer list[/url]...

It's hard for me to post this like one of my regular reviews, you know; this is like reviewing my back yard or something. The food is so familiar, the restaurant is so well known to me that I can't point out the details any more! I've brought out-of-towners here, and to a man/woman, they have raved about the food and marveled at the prices.

And it's not always all about how unusual the food can be. Last night was the school class play (The Music Man; pretty good, for a high school production). We were in a hurry, and dropped into The A for a quick bite. MJ ordered the chicken fajitas, I ordered the steak... $7.95 each:

See what I mean? Nothing fancy, but it's what you would do if you were making the food for yourself.

Burgers are real burgers, half pound and piled high, meaty and steaky and cooked to order. They do have regional specialties, like Murazzi (brand) sausage and pasta, pork & sauerkraut... turkey and gravy, Cadillac meatloaf (and Cadillac meatloaf burgers) served with mashed corn potatoes (mashed potatoes with corn mixed in, just like you'd do at home), and more. ALL menu items are prepared from fresh ingredients; NOTHING is bought bagged/frozen and then microwaved.

HIGHLY recommended. If you are traveling the I-81 corridor, I recommend calling in advance [(570)-822-4677] and making sure that there isn't an event at the Wachovia Arena, as The Anthracite is pretty packed the hour before a hockey game or a concert.

46 Replies Related Threads

John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/17 06:51:02 (permalink)
    Nothing like a "Go to favorite" you can always count on, that's a real good one. Nice job on the pictures, looks like you've figured out the crop feature on Photobucket.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/17 07:05:11 (permalink)
    Tom, nice job!

I work about two miles from the Anthricite and proudly drive past the chains on Kidder St. to get there. Prices are reasonable too.

Maybe I'll go there for lunch today? Monday's getting better already!
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4541
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/17 08:14:31 (permalink)
    Mosca, Great pics and report. Never been there, that will change soon.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/17 10:25:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

Nothing like a "Go to favorite" you can always count on, that's a real good one. Nice job on the pictures, looks like you've figured out the crop feature on Photobucket.

No crops, John. As shot. Processed in Lightroom 2.1 by hitting "auto", and posted; "auto" brought up the blacks a little, but otherwise left everything else alone.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/17 17:13:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca

quote:

No crops, John. As shot. Processed in Lightroom 2.1 by hitting "auto", and posted; "auto" brought up the blacks a little, but otherwise left everything else alone.

Great pictures, what camera is that again?
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8061
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/17 17:26:15 (permalink)
    WOW! What great looking meals. I love the presentation. Great photos!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/17 18:30:32 (permalink)
    quote:

Great pictures, what camera is that again?

Thank you! The soups and the quesadillas are the Canon G9 (p&s); all the others are my favorite food camera, the Nikon P5000 (also a p&s).

The G9 pictures, we were seated right underneath the track light that is in the first picture. It was kind of stark; we didn't really mind, but it was difficult to get a nice soft shot.

How about that vegetable clam soup? I can feel myself in my own kitchen, chopping up the vegetables and thinking to myself how good it is going to taste!

We are going there again this week, I'll get some different dishes and post more pictures.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3737
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/17 18:42:00 (permalink)
    The food looks wonderful and I love the way the dining room looks. I would love to eat there sometime but, unfortunately, the family always opts for meals in Old Forge. I really cannot blame them as we cannot get that good Italian food at those prices where we live.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/17 19:22:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca
    ... Of course, we drank from[url='http://mybeerbuzz-anthracite.blogspot.com/2008/07/bottle-list-as-of-81-anthracite-cafe.html']the extensive beer list[/url]...

Mosca,
    WHAAAT?!?!?!? No Stegmaier???? No Gibbons????? No Bartels?????? No Liebotschaner Special Cream Ale???????
    Disappouringly, Ort. Carlton in We-Finally-Have-Yuengling Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. Now I check their list and see that they really DO carry hometown favorites. Bless them! But still no Lord Chesterfield Ale!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/17 19:36:06 (permalink)
    Same reason we never go to the Poconos, Ort. Greener grass, etc.

Did you know that Old Forge Brewing Co (in Danville, not Old Forge, but, well, so's yer old man, heyna) has the tanks in place and is shooting for a December 2008 opening? Now THAT is good news!

John A
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/18 07:21:43 (permalink)
    You're ready for anything with two cameras I would like to try that Hawg Wings
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1722
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/18 17:06:52 (permalink)
    Looks fanatastic............especially beacuse of the pics Thanks

Will have to try it on my next trip up north of the state
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/18 19:22:28 (permalink)
    I put a little more time into post-processing the soup and fajita pictures.... soory if I seem a little fixated on that stuff, but I get that way sometimes.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2976
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/18 19:24:44 (permalink)
    Mosca - Nice job...you can feel your love of the place in your words and photos. It really looks inviting and it is nice to have a place you can go to for any ocasion.
    mbaltusk
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/18 19:46:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for pointing out a great report for a local joint. I live in Kingston, and actually haven't heard of this place but now I will give it a try. Thanks!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10379
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/19 08:10:42 (permalink)
    Mosca-
    Beautiful photos! Being a soup lover, those are the pics I am most drawn to.
    juleebella
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/19 09:09:58 (permalink)
    I keep reading the title of this thread as The Anthrax Cafe.

Great pictures, sounds like a really great place.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1600
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/19 12:17:39 (permalink)
    Great report Mosca. I've added Anthracite Cafe to my "to Do" list for that area, which I try to get to once a year, usually on a day trip.

Not only does the food look good, but, oh those prices!

At <$2 for a gallon of gas, I could drive there & back from Union County NJ and still have a lower cost than most restaurant meals I could eat locally.

<<WHAAAT?!?!?!? No Stegmaier???? No Gibbons????? No Bartels?????? No Liebotschaner Special Cream Ale???????>>

It does seem odd that a local place with such an extensive beer list would not have any of the local beers on draft. Oh well, I can always pick up a case of Steg Porter on my next trip.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/19 12:29:34 (permalink)
    I enjoyed your report Mosca..unfprtunately too afr for me to travel...but I was taken by that homemade Focaccia!!!!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/19 13:14:48 (permalink)
    Mosca: I'll be travelling I-81 through there four times in the next month (two trips to Syracuse). Now that we have our baby, we actually stop for a sit down meal so that the munchkin can be fed. So, The Anthracite will be a must stop on one of the passes through Wilkes-Barre.

Looks like Exit 168 is the easiest exit to take (Highland Park Blvd to Kidder to Scott). I know that exit well. we usually stop at that Wegmans.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/19 15:10:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Mosca: I'll be travelling I-81 through there four times in the next month (two trips to Syracuse). Now that we have our baby, we actually stop for a sit down meal so that the munchkin can be fed. So, The Anthracite will be a must stop on one of the passes through Wilkes-Barre.

Looks like Exit 168 is the easiest exit to take (Highland Park Blvd to Kidder to Scott). I know that exit well. we usually stop at that Wegmans.

Scorereader, if you're asked, tell them that you heard about them on Roadfood! And, I'd recommend the pretzel chicken; it is out of this world.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/19 20:23:58 (permalink)
    Mosca, I have the original cedar that lined the beer vats at the Stegmaier Brewery from 1857.

When the brewery was sold and auctioned off, Amity lumber in Taylor, Pa. bought the cedar and made tounge and grove siding from it. I walked by it many a times in his lumberyard, thinking what I could do with it.

Finally I lined the walls and ceiling of my wine cellar with it.

[img][/img]
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/11/27 09:01:04 (permalink)
    got lost trying to find it. I was in the 100-300 block area. Somehow, I goofed, I forgot my print out, so I was sans map and couldn't remeber the block number.

I'll try again on the next pass, now that I know it's in the 800 block. And, after driving in circles, I'm pretty comfortable with the layout of the immediate area.

We ended up getting back on the highway and hitting Ruby Tuesday near the Lackawana visitor center.

Salad bar was spotless and fresh, they did a really great job on the alpine burger.

Hopefully timing will work out with out little one's eating schedule that we can try to find the Anthracite again.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/12/01 08:07:44 (permalink)
    On the return trip, (Sunday Nov. 30) the little bugger was out cold through the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. So we skipped trying to find that Anthracite on this return pass.

We stopped in Frackville and hit the Dutch Kitchen. I had the Rueben, which was fine. A little greasy, but meaty. The crab bisque was pretty good. After living several years now in the mid-atlantic, I could've used some old bay in the bisque to liven it up, but it was soft and tender, and hit the spot on a cold slushy day travelling through PA. My wife had the roast beef club. Her take: "a little thin on the roast beef, but the rye bread was delicious; it beats Subway, mostly because of the bread. The decor is like Cracker Barrel only homier. Waitstaff was friendly, but slow to deliver the check. Overall, it's a good stop."

Since they do have a baby changing station in the restroom area, Dutch Kitchen will likely become our Frackville stop.

We certainly will give Anthracite another shot, as long as the little one is ready to eat around that time.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/12/09 12:44:26 (permalink)
    Just wanted to add, The Anthracite Cafe now has a website:

http://www.anthracitecafe.net/index.htm
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2008/12/16 09:00:10 (permalink)
    Missed tis thread earlier. Thanks for sharing a place from your neck of the woods.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2009/12/05 23:16:00 (permalink)
    Mosca,   We tried The Anthracite tonight.  It started out very bad.

Do you have a beer menu(160  beers available)?  No
    Clams?  No
    Portabella burger?  No
    Fresh vegetable?  Canned corn

I guess they are changing the menu and discontinuing certain items.  But we hung in there and had a great meal.  Our server, Kathleen, was very nice.

The chili was excellent, thick and meaty.  Also, very good french onion soup.  But the winner was the burgers.  Fresh, hand formed, half-pound patties.  I would say it's the best burger in our area.

Thanks for info!
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2009/12/06 01:10:10 (permalink)
    Wow, sad to see the beer menu go! We haven't been there for a couple months. I know times are tough for them, their clientele is the people who are hit hardest by the recession. I used to get lunch there, but they aren't open for lunch any more. And the Texas Hawg Wings have been gone for about 6 months.

Yeah, the burgers kick butt, do they not! Always a great choice there. And if you return, try the pretzel chicken; my mom used to make that, but not as good.
    EatingTheRoad
    • Total Posts : 1205
    RE: The Anthracite Cafe, Wilkes-Barre PA (Off I-81) 2009/12/06 07:46:01 (permalink)
    Weird, their website still lists a load of beer:
    http://www.anthracitecafe.net/beerdrink.htm

Pretzel Chicken you say...what's pretzel chicken? I like pretzels..I like chicken...

Pretzel Chicken
    Fresh chicken tenderloins rolled in honey mustard sour dough pretzels, fried golden brown and served with honey mustard sauce. $13.99

Wow, I think I'd go there just for that. Got any pictures of it?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1