My head's in Mississippi

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10412
2008/11/28 22:11:06 (permalink)

My head's in Mississippi

I am spending the next week, plus a few days driving around Mississippi, with quick detours into Arkansas, Tennessee and Louisiana.

Friday November 28, 2008 

By the time I landed in Memphis a little after noon, I was starved, since the only thing I had eaten so far was a smoothie at the Charlotte airport. My initial destination was going to be a place that Memphis Roadfooder susanll brought to my attention, The Pie Folks in Olive Branch, MS. But I called and got the voicemail saying they were closed until next Tuesday.

Plan B was to stop at Abe's BBQ in Clarksdale. But when I saw the sign for The Blue & White

in Tunica, my hunger got the best of me and I pulled in for a quick lunch.

I had breakfast here in 1999 and had a bad experience. But some other Roadfooders I respect really like the place, so I had to give them another chance. Since I had dinner reservations in Greenville, MS at 5:30, I was in a bit of hurry. They did have a lunch buffet set up, which included, fried chicken and catfish, but I noticed none of the locals were partaking, so I skipped it.

My waitress told me it would take a half hour for a new order of the fried chicken, so that was out. She recommended the Catfish Creole, which sounded good. Two sides come with the meal and she again made excellent recommendations in turnip greens and fried green tomatoes.

While waiting for my food, it occurred to me that there was no reason to wait until after my meal to eat dessert, so I called my waitress back and got a piece of the chocolate cream pie.

This was a very thick pie and was fine, but I have the feeling that it wasn't homemade. Since I didn't ask, I don't know this for sure.

My meal came out quickly.

You can also get your catfish grilled or blackened, but I ordered it fried. The Creole sauce included bacon, shrimp and sausage and Cajun seasonings and was delicious.

I expect to eat quite a bit of catfish on this trip, but this version will be tough to top!

The very good fried green tomatoes

were crunchy and came with ranch dressing for dipping. The clear star of the meal though, were the fantastic turnip greens. They had a very earthy, raw taste, with a strong porky flavor. I loved them!
Two hushpuppies came with the meal, but they were mushy and I only took one bite.

On the way out, I bought a t-shirt. Since the place is named The Blue & White, I naturally bought a red shirt! Kudos to my waitress who took great care of me. She even gave me a to go cup for the excellent sweet tea.

After this meal, The Blue & White is back on my good side. I will probably return later in the trip for breakfast.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=1250&RefID=1250

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/01/22 17:53:05

287 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1