Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36
joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Tue, 12/9/08 6:16 PM (permalink)
Well maybe not Yeahhhh.

Good trip, good food, nice place to visit.

My hotel(Fairfield) was very nice. The location was a little rough. Surrounded by warehouses, lots of noise. Right outside the front door was a good place to grab a quick bite.
[img]On Monday evening I went to Bamonte's. Very nice place in a nice neighborhood. They have their own parking lot which is well lit with an attendant. You are greeted at the door like family. Wonderful, friendly people.

This restaurant reminded me of Rome. The only thing missing was the waiters standing on the sidewalk enticing you into the restaurant. I had eggplant rollentini for an appetizer. The sauce was fresh and terrific tasting. The eggplant was undercooked which was a bummer

I ordered the veal Milanese. It was good....yeah good. I was disappointed in the sides. I ordered escarole and green beans. Both were overcooked and the garlic was burnt to a crisp.

When it comes to Italian food I know I can be a bit picky. I would give this place another try. I think I just caught an off night.

I finished my appointments early today and I had a great FREE parking spot on Hickes street, so I walked the 1.4 miles to Grimaldi's. I had some time to kill so I took TTM's suggestion and went to Jacques Torres Chocolate
[img]
[img]
Everything looked great. The samples I tried were very good. I grabbed an assortment for the Wife.

So on to Grimaldi's! Oh, did I mention that I was meeting a friend there.
[img]
The official Roadfood Ambassador for NYC, BillyBoy. What a great time. We have never met or spoke to each other before today, and we were like two old friends meeting for a pizza.

Grimaldi's is everything you ever heard about it, and then some. Here is a shot of the menu.
[img] For a place in such high demand, I thought the prices were very good. When we went in there were maybe five tables full. By the time we left there was a line forming out front.

You know what they say, "When in Rome Brooklyn
[img]
What a nice full bodied beer, clean and refreshing.

We ordered a large with sausage and roasted peppers. This is a first class pie. The dough is crisp with a little tug left in it and the toppings are world class
[img]

After lunch Billy and I were parting ways. I was going back to my car and he was headed to The Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory.
[img]
I am not big on sweets, but what the heck. I joined Billy for an ice cream. This is a shot of the interior
[img]
And my Peaches n' Cream Ice Cream
[img]
This was good ice cream. I would like to know the milkfat content, well maybe I wouldn't.

Brooklyn is alright. Lots of traffic and lots of noise. What is it with New Yorkers and their car horns. Do they really think I'm going to pull out if front of someone just because they hit their horn? We have a saying in Pittston, "Big Horn, Small...."

BillyBoy, Great meeting you and hope to see you again. I know you got some great pics so jump right in.[/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img]

KonaErnie

• Total Posts: 356
    RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Tue, 12/9/08 7:10 PM (permalink)
    I want a couple of slices of that great looking pizza or maybe a whole pie! Thanks for the pics.

MiamiDon

RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Tue, 12/9/08 7:20 PM (permalink)
      FANTASTIC, you met up with the Roadfood.com mayor of NY!

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
        RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Tue, 12/9/08 7:21 PM (permalink)
        Joe ---- you done good !!!! Your little Kodak Brownie takes nice
        pictures. The important thing is did your business venture work out
        so you can leave the boonies and come live in civilization?

And don't forget 2/3 years youse will be talkin just like a native. Yeah and
        how come no trolley cars in your pics. U'se got sumthin' against trolley cars ?

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
          RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Tue, 12/9/08 7:22 PM (permalink)
          Good old, Brooklyn. How I miss it.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
            RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Tue, 12/9/08 7:22 PM (permalink)
            Great choice in food, Joe!!!And to meet up with Billy must have been fun!

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
              RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Tue, 12/9/08 7:32 PM (permalink)
              Joe & Billy - THANK YOU!

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Tue, 12/9/08 9:13 PM (permalink)
                Oh, if only you'd had donuts too it would have been perfect. Nice report joe!

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Tue, 12/9/08 9:30 PM (permalink)
                  Pizza looks superb.
                  Thanks.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                    RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 12:07 AM (permalink)
                    Very nice, Joe.

Jacques Torres!!!

Next time you visit, you can accompany the unoffical Ambassadortrix (sounds a little kinky, but could not think of a funnier term) of almost NYC (close enough) to meet Chef Jacques Torres, in person. My Dean of Pastry Arts, and very good friend. I am not big on the name droppin', but since I spent a very large small fortune matriculating at FCI, I will drop a name, every 1150 posts (every two weeks, right Mr. Mariner?)

We also have a few sayings...

Better to hit our horns, than give our horns, (Italians will understand this reference). Or, better to hit our horns, than drag some poor tourist out of their car, and beat the hell out of them, for stopping at a yellow light, or not getting out of our way, fast enough. We have places to go, people to see. Time is money, For real, Yo!.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                      RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 12:15 AM (permalink)
                      Joe Rogo with the Trip Report! You go, Joe !!!!
                      And looking dapper, as always!

I was wondering where Billyboy has been keeping himself lately.
                      At least I know he's safe and sound, and in good company..
                      I know what you mean , as I felt like I was "meating up" with an old friend, too, when I met Billyboy.
                      It was a good fit, just like an old shoe...comfortable!

Hey, you got a free parking space. Now, that's a commodity.
                      Glad you liked your pizza and ice cream.
                      Sorry about all the noise..
                      those taxicabs and horn blowing seem to go hand in hand!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6083
                        RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 12:51 AM (permalink)
                        That pizza has no faults..great looking work of art!!!!

Tony Bad

RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 9:33 AM (permalink)
                          Good report Joe, thanks for sharing. If you get back to Grimaldi's you need to try just a plain cheese pie. The simplicity may seem dull, but it really lets the uniqueness and quality of this place's products shine.

Your comment "When it comes to Italian food I know I can be a bit picky" hits home with me. Anyone who cooks Italian themselves or had family who did so has this issue. I rarely go out for Italian food other than pizza, as most times I am left thinking I could do this at home!

As for billyboy, he truly is a great dining companion. I so enjoyed meeting him, and watching and sharing in his enthusiasm for NY eats.

How did your bumpers survive the trip?

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                            RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 9:42 AM (permalink)
                            Joe, so glad it all worked out. And right off the bat you learned rule #1 of driving in Brooklyn. If you find a good free parking spot, you are done using your car for the rest of the day.

I still haven't been to Grimaldi's, every time I pass by, always on a weekend, there has been along line outside. I need take a day off and try a Tuesday like you did.

<<We have a saying in Pittston, "Big Horn, Small....">>

There's a saying in Brooklyn: "Get Outta My F'n Way!!"

Slim Strummer

• Total Posts: 233
                              RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 9:57 AM (permalink)
                              Well, I guess I know where I am going next time I go to NYC. Grimaldi's!

Great report, thank you.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 10:40 AM (permalink)
                                Howdy all! Thanks for the kind words. I was very glad Joe was able to meet up with me yesterday. Joe, I too feel it was like hanging out with an old friend and I do look forward to breaking bread with you again. Maybe Ellen's NJ Deli/birthday tour? I'll have to start training now!

Joe, outside of Grimaldi's. We were originally going to meet up at 1:30, but Joe's business wrapped up early, so we made it there just as they opened.

I went for the Brooklyn Pilsner, which was very crisp, had a slight bitterness to it (a good thing) and went down smooth.

A cold brew, ahhhh!

Sorry, just can't look at too many shots of great quality pie! I too thought the prices were pretty reasonable. Joe, I love the steam still coming off off the pizza in your shots. There really is nothing quite like a whole pie, fresh from a coal oven! The crispness and char on this crust was great and like Joe said, the quality of ingredients was top notch. Fresh mozzarella, sweet roasted red peppers, sausage and basil. The sauce was really fresh tasting too and didn't have an herby flavor to it, but rather just tons of tomato flavor.

I was so happy that I grabbed this slice with that tasty charred bubble on top. Mmmm!

My chocolate ice cream from the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. There is always room for ice cream, even in December! This is really great ice cream, rich and with a deep chocolate flavor. I had them add hot butterscotch sauce on top, which ended up being a misstep on my part. I saw the guy scraping the bottom of the metal container and didn't think much of it at the time. As I ate the sauce, I could feel lots of sugar granules throughout. The flavor and heat were good and maybe it's better when they're not using up the last of it, but honestly, this ice cream is best naked. It needs nothing to improve it.

Joe and I parted ways and I had this urge to honor Buffetbuster and CajunKing, so I made my way over to Bubby's Pie Company just down the street for a slice of their most excellent pie, but I got Travelin-Manned and discovered that they are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. I stopped in a small bookstore and did find a great present for my 3 1/2 year old niece that I had been searching for since last year, so all was not lost. I was having a very nice walk home across the Brooklyn Bridge (it really was a beautiful day and perfect for a walk) and it was going well until came across this sight...

Workers on the bridge. I think I got slightly dizzy just watching them at work. Gave me the heebie-jeebies!

leethebard

RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 11:06 AM (permalink)
                                  Fresh basil on a brick oven pie...is there a prettier sight!!!!!

Mrs.Crunch

• Total Posts: 199
                                    RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 2:52 PM (permalink)
                                    Too cool, guys!!
                                    Lucky devils!!

Tony Bad

RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 2:56 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by leethebard

Fresh basil on a brick oven pie...is there a prettier sight!!!!!

Not brick oven...but if you like the fresh basil, you have to go see Dominick over at DiFara's!

leethebard

RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 3:05 PM (permalink)
                                        Now that's about as fresh as it gets!!!!!

Sundancer7

RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 3:19 PM (permalink)
                                          BB: Those pics on the bridge makes my crouch hurt.

Paul E. Smith
                                          Knoxville, TN

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
                                            RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 3:30 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Tony Bad

Not brick oven...but if you like the fresh basil, you have to go see Dominick over at DiFara's!

Know what's scary?

I remember you taking that picture. Good shot....even if it is a little blurry!

Tony Bad

RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 3:44 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by The Travelin Man

Know what's scary?

I remember you taking that picture. Good shot....even if it is a little blurry!

The blur was on purpose...an artistic effect to show motion. If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you...coincidentally it is pictured above!

joerogo

RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 4:40 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Joe ---- you done good !!!! Your little Kodak Brownie takes nice
                                                pictures. The important thing is did your business venture work out
                                                so you can leave the boonies and come live in civilization?

And don't forget 2/3 years youse will be talkin just like a native. Yeah and
                                                how come no trolley cars in your pics. U'se got sumthin' against trolley cars ?

Zio, The first job was quite scary. The second one has potential. It's in the High Rent district.

Here's that photo I promised. Brooklyners didn't forget P.H. Day. Plenty of flags out, I thought of your post when I saw them.

This was taken out my rear window with my cell phone.
                                                [img][/img]

joerogo

RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 4:45 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by CCinNJ

Very nice, Joe.

Jacques Torres!!!

Next time you visit, you can accompany the unoffical Ambassadortrix (sounds a little kinky, but could not think of a funnier term) of almost NYC (close enough) to meet Chef Jacques Torres, in person. My Dean of Pastry Arts, and very good friend. I am not big on the name droppin', but since I spent a very large small fortune matriculating at FCI, I will drop a name, every 1150 posts (every two weeks, right Mr. Mariner?)

We also have a few sayings...

Better to hit our horns, than give our horns, (Italians will understand this reference). Or, better to hit our horns, than drag some poor tourist out of their car, and beat the hell out of them, for stopping at a yellow light, or not getting out of our way, fast enough. We have places to go, people to see. Time is money, For real, Yo!.

Matriculating....huh....mmmmm...alright I better leave it go.

joerogo

RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 4:58 PM (permalink)
                                                    ellen4641 Funny isn't it, I was willing to walk 1.4 miles just because I got a good/free parking spot.

At home I b*tch if I have to walk half a block.

Tony Bad, I stood on the sidewalk and watch a girl in a Lexus SUV back into the spot in front of me and hit my car twice. Thankfully her license plate was up high enough. Other than that it was a very good trip.

ken8038, HEY, Blow it out yer A**!

billyboy, Great pics. See you in Jersey.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                                                      • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
                                                      RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 5:21 PM (permalink)
                                                      Doesn't get any better then that. Thanks for the report guys.

joerogo

• Location: Pittston, PA
                                                        RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 7:36 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Sundancer7

BB: Those pics on the bridge makes my crouch hurt.

Paul E. Smith
                                                        Knoxville, TN

Isn't there a joke in there somewhere? Didn't we have a whole Crouch/Crotch thread?

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                                                          • Location: st petersburg, florida
                                                          RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 9:22 PM (permalink)
                                                          Joe, I wonder what street that was. It looks neat and clean and because of all the
                                                          flags, very patriotic. Reminds me of Lincoln Place where I spent a few years climbing
                                                          up to the 4th floor. My poor mother dragged the baby carriage and my baby sister up
                                                          those 4 floors ---- tough ladies in those days Joe.

Thank you for thinking of my post and taking the picture, I appreciate it
                                                          very much---you are a thoughtful guy and I take back all the nasty
                                                          things I have said about you. I even hope PSU whoops USC and Joe Pa coachs
                                                          another 20 or so years.

Hope the jobs work out for you--- here's to a good new year.
                                                          and "Here's looking at you kid" !!!! Skoal, down the hatch, and up the Irish !!!!!!!!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                                                            RE: Brooklyn, Yeahhhhh!!! Wed, 12/10/08 9:35 PM (permalink)
                                                            As we used to say in Brooklyn, "your f****n A"! But, you might have to be from Brooklyn to figure this one out.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com