The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The Left Lane Is For Passing!

Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 121 to 148 of 148
NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Fri, 03/27/09 1:40 PM (permalink)
sop that

Cosmos

I didn’t intend to offend someone that passes on the right, I often pass on the right too.  

What I have observed and was thinking of is the car that fly’s past on the right then nearly hitting the car in front merges left, barely missing the slow moving car. The same type of move from the left is just as bad.
...those kind of drivers should move out west and kill themselves doing 130 mph eh?

sop that

• Total Posts: 155
    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Sat, 03/28/09 12:55 PM (permalink)
    We have plenty of them here in Southern California, no need for more to move here.  Some mornings (5 am) on the way to work I will see at least half a dozen NASCAR wanta-bees and at least that many going 5 MPH under the speed limit in the left lanes. The speed limit is 65 and most people are going 70+.

I rented a car at JFK and drove to Jersey one year.  That was a fearful drive, lots of high speed lane weavers, even though the rest of traffic was going about 50 MPH.

NYPIzzaNut

RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Sat, 03/28/09 1:44 PM (permalink)
      I was thinking more of the wide open desert country in the West.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Sun, 03/29/09 11:48 AM (permalink)
        NYPIzzaNut

..probably need to change cars to prevent fiddling with or changing radio stations or CDs while the car is in motion too

You're actually right. Driving and talking on the cell phone is very dangerous not so much the talking, but the dialing.. As an insurance adjuster I can tell you that first hand. If someone calls me while I'm driving, I don't even bother to answer the phone or I speak very briefly. If I need to make a call, I pull over and do so and again, proceed to talk briefly if I need to get back on the road.  Texting and driving is just plain stupid.
        <message edited by wanderingjew on Sun, 03/29/09 11:50 AM>

NYPIzzaNut

RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Sun, 03/29/09 2:05 PM (permalink)
          wanderingjew

NYPIzzaNut

..probably need to change cars to prevent fiddling with or changing radio stations or CDs while the car is in motion too

You're actually right. Driving and talking on the cell phone is very dangerous not so much the talking, but the dialing.. As an insurance adjuster I can tell you that first hand. If someone calls me while I'm driving, I don't even bother to answer the phone or I speak very briefly. If I need to make a call, I pull over and do so and again, proceed to talk briefly if I need to get back on the road.  Texting and driving is just plain stupid.

...as an insurance underwriter my entire career I have had to read claims reports about legions of  stupid accidents so I am well aware of the relative dumbness of drivers..

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
            RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Sun, 03/29/09 4:49 PM (permalink)
            A sizable number of drivers in this country are brain-damaged morons. Just my opinion....      

MiamiDon

RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Mon, 03/30/09 5:14 AM (permalink)
              I find this talk of not passing on the right incomprehensible.  Would that mean that, on I-95 with ten lanes that if a driver is in lane five (the leftmost) is travelling at 40 mph, then the other four lanes have to hold up and not pass him?  That's just plain silly.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Mon, 03/30/09 9:41 AM (permalink)
                On some of the 3-lane sections of I 55, some semi drivers, as well as other vehicles, will "park themselves" (stay) in the middle lane and never move to the right-hand lane. (You can watch them for miles ahead.)   Especially with the semi drivers (which have a 55 mph speed limit, while other vehicles have a 65 mph speed limit), I pass on whichever side of them is clear.

sop that

RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Mon, 03/30/09 12:05 PM (permalink)
                  I find this talk of not passing on the right incomprehensible.  Would that mean that, on I-95 with ten lanes that if a driver is in lane five (the leftmost) is travelling at 40 mph, then the other four lanes have to hold up and not pass him?  That's just plain silly.

Don, its really about those that park in the left lane causing unnatural lane weaving, IMHO.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                    RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Tue, 03/31/09 9:20 AM (permalink)
                    sop that

Cosmos

I didn’t intend to offend someone that passes on the right, I often pass on the right too.  

What I have observed and was thinking of is the car that fly’s past on the right then nearly hitting the car in front merges left, barely missing the slow moving car. The same type of move from the left is just as bad.
                    No offense taken, and I agree, a dangerous pass is a dangerous pass.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                      RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Mon, 04/27/09 2:27 PM (permalink)
                      Cosmos

sop that

Cosmos

No offense taken, and I agree, a dangerous pass is a dangerous pass.

If the tool in front of me wont merge right. I would most definately pass on the right. In my younger years he would get the finger. Today or a woman I would just shake my head. My favorite is the guy that merges right when you finally decide to pass on the right. Also why do they get mad when you pass them?...Russ

GNeedles59

• Total Posts: 594
                        RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Mon, 04/27/09 3:27 PM (permalink)
                        I also don't like the idiots that think their SUV/Truck is a race car.

sop that

RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Thu, 04/30/09 8:24 PM (permalink)
                          I commute early in the morning on the 405 in Southern California and we (car pool buddies) call Monday's NASCAR Monday. The theory is that folks watch NASCAR on Sunday and on Monday morning they re-live the race as they scream up the freeway lane weaving.

Most of these seem to be pickup trucks but all types participate.

My friend was driving in this Monday when a truck passed us at a rapid rate. My friend asked how fast do you think that guy was going?  I said 85, he said well I am doing 80!  And we were being passed by many.

Schmelly

• Total Posts: 185
                            RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Wed, 05/11/11 2:51 PM (permalink)
                            I just got done with a 3100 mile road trip...I don't know how many idiots I ran into camped in the passing lane...But I wish police would start giving tickets out to these discourteous drivers.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                              RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Wed, 05/11/11 3:02 PM (permalink)
                              I just finished a 39 day, 6,350 mile road trip. I solved the left lane problem. I only drove on roads that had oncoming cars in the left lane. I estimate I drove only 420 miles on Interstate highways.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
                                RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Wed, 05/11/11 3:18 PM (permalink)
                                I once had a mother-in-law who would find someone in the right lane driving at a speed she liked, usually just below the speed limit, then pull out into the left lane and stay even with that car in order to prevent anyone from going faster than she wished.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
                                  RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Wed, 05/11/11 5:10 PM (permalink)
                                  Michael Hoffman

I once had a mother-in-law who would find someone in the right lane driving at a speed she liked, usually just below the speed limit, then pull out into the left lane and stay even with that car in order to prevent anyone from going faster than she wished.

She been in front of me many times, I hate her, and her bumper sticker that gives everyone behind her, the bird!

Michael Hoffman

RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Wed, 05/11/11 5:37 PM (permalink)
                                    Wrong car. She believed that a bumper sticker on a car signified someone who was low class. Of course, anyone her daughter married was low class, too.

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 942
                                      RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Thu, 05/12/11 2:07 PM (permalink)
                                      Michael Hoffman

I see something like that a lot around here during road construction where a 2 lane is bottlenecked down to 1 lane. Instead of merging with the flow of traffic, you always get the impatient drivers who speed right up to the point where the lane gets restricted, and try to merge right in, which in my opinion, slows the whole line down even more. Seems to me the last time 81 north through the city of Syracuse was down to one lane,  almost daily I saw someone get fed up with the "budgers" and camp out in the left lane, preventing them from passing ahead of everyone else to the front. I have mixed feelings about it... the person blocking the lane could get rearended, but the impatient drivers who seek to budge ahead may deserve a little extra inconvenience.

Michael Hoffman

RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Thu, 05/12/11 3:35 PM (permalink)
                                        Around here that would happen often on theI-270 loop around Columbus and on I-71 and I-70 through the city. Often a pair od 18-wheelers would cruise together, one in each lane, to keep the idiots from speeding ahead and slowing traffic.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                          RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Thu, 05/12/11 4:53 PM (permalink)
                                          During our recent Illinois/Missouri/Indiana/Kentucky trip, Bob noticed that all the drivers passed in the left, and then moved to the right. He was impressed. Once we got back to Wisconsin, the [link=mailto:a@#$%]a@#$%[/link]& holes didnt move from the left. Its actually the law.

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
                                            RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Thu, 05/12/11 4:58 PM (permalink)
                                            What I do is stay in the right lane until someone's going maybe 85-90 in a 65, then get in the left lane and follow him at about a mile space cushion. Cops would pull him over before I even got close. 

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2936
                                              RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Thu, 05/12/11 5:15 PM (permalink)

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
                                                • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                                RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Thu, 05/12/11 5:37 PM (permalink)
                                                Mosca - Only thing better would have been a ticket at the end. That driver still has no clue he was doing something wrong and is still wondering what the cop was doing.

In Arizona I've found that the left lane slowpokes are invariably Californians or individuals that SB 1070 was written to address.  It really makes a mess in areas with a 75 mph speed limit.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7608
                                                  • Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                  RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Thu, 05/12/11 6:52 PM (permalink)
                                                  Arizona's interstates are maddening.  There are warning signs that there are speed cameras ahead.    There are still idiots that speed through them.

No excuse with the warning signs...  just idiocy.

Michael Hoffman

RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Thu, 05/12/11 7:09 PM (permalink)
                                                    Maybe they're lying about cameras and locals know it.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2376
                                                      • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                                      RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Thu, 05/12/11 7:16 PM (permalink)
                                                      All speed cameras were removed from Interstate highways in AZ last year. Those CA drivers don't have that excuse anymore.

Michael Hoffman

RE: The Left Lane Is For Passing! Thu, 05/12/11 7:18 PM (permalink)
                                                        Well, you know what they say about California drivers. Once they get on an interstate that doesn't begin with The they're lost.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                          Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 121 to 148 of 148

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com