The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 NYC Chocolate Shops

Author Message
LizzieR

  • Total Posts: 92
  • Joined: 8/11/2003
  • Location: Middle Village, NY
NYC Chocolate Shops Sun, 11/16/03 5:11 PM (permalink)
Remember in the old days when there were Barricini's and Barton's candy shops all over town? Today it's just the fancy chocolate shops in Manhattan. We don't even have See's or Fanny Farmer's. I hate buying packaged chocolates at the drugstore!
 
#1
    Michael Hoffman

    • Total Posts: 17837
    • Joined: 7/1/2000
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    RE: NYC Chocolate Shops Sun, 11/16/03 5:36 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by LizzieR

    Remember in the old days when there were Barricini's and Barton's candy shops all over town? Today it's just the fancy chocolate shops in Manhattan. We don't even have See's or Fanny Farmer's. I hate buying packaged chocolates at the drugstore!

    I loved Barricini's chocolate covered cherries and Barton's (square) truffles.It's been 50 years since my last Barton's truffle.
     
    #2
      TJsLove

      • Total Posts: 7
      • Joined: 10/24/2003
      • Location: Danbury, CT
      RE: NYC Chocolate Shops Thu, 11/20/03 12:22 PM (permalink)
      I've heard the Chocolate Bar in the Village is pretty good - though I've not been there yet, it is at 48 8th Ave. b/t Jane and Horatio.
      They make all the chocolates there!
       
      #3
        Spudnut

        • Total Posts: 655
        • Joined: 6/30/2003
        • Location: New York, NY
        RE: NYC Chocolate Shops Thu, 11/20/03 12:28 PM (permalink)
        There's also Li-Lac Chocolates on Christopher Street, where you can buy individual pieces of handmade chocolates.
         
        #4
          NYCTransplant

          • Total Posts: 7
          • Joined: 9/22/2002
          • Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
          RE: NYC Chocolate Shops Fri, 11/21/03 7:01 PM (permalink)
          Someone beat me to Li-Lac Chocolates!

          **Considered to be a Greenwich Village institution, our loyal customers use words such as "fresh", "handmade", "old world charm", and "extraordinary" to describe the extensive array of delicious products of Li-Lac Chocolates.

          Founded in 1923 by George Demetrias, Li-Lac is one of a handful of stores in New York City where the rare, vanishing art of making chocolates by hand, survives. Martha Bond, the current owner uses the same formulas for chocolate making developed 77 years ago by founder George Demetrias.**
           
          #5
            LizzieR

            • Total Posts: 92
            • Joined: 8/11/2003
            • Location: Middle Village, NY
            RE: NYC Chocolate Shops Wed, 11/26/03 5:45 PM (permalink)
            Yes, I've been to Li-Lac. It's good but expensive. Bartons and Barricini's were good,not as exclusive and a lot less expensive, even for the time.My favorite now is Jacques Torres in Brooklyn. Expensive but fabulous!! If you live anywhere near the Brooklyn side of the Manhattan Bridge, you must go!!
             
            #6
              Sundancer7

              RE: NYC Chocolate Shops Wed, 11/26/03 6:00 PM (permalink)
              I am not exactly a chocolate fan as I do not do this exotic taste very frequently. The costly ones as in the malls do not appeal to my taste.

              I will take a Hershey milk chockolate anytime if I feel the need.

              Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN
               
              #7
                LizzieR

                • Total Posts: 92
                • Joined: 8/11/2003
                • Location: Middle Village, NY
                RE: NYC Chocolate Shops Sun, 11/30/03 5:00 PM (permalink)
                I was just reminded of two other NY chocolate store chains that no longer exist: Schrafts and Lofts. Wish they were still around. Schrafts even had a few "tea rooms" where you could get lunch and a great chocolate soda. As I remember, they sold their chocolates in distinctive metal tins.
                 
                #8
                  Spudnut

                  • Total Posts: 655
                  • Joined: 6/30/2003
                  • Location: New York, NY
                  RE: NYC Chocolate Shops Sun, 11/30/03 7:12 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by LizzieR

                  Yes, I've been to Li-Lac. It's good but expensive. Bartons and Barricini's were good,not as exclusive and a lot less expensive, even for the time.My favorite now is Jacques Torres in Brooklyn. Expensive but fabulous!! If you live anywhere near the Brooklyn side of the Manhattan Bridge, you must go!!




                  Jacques Torres is great. I've been there twice, and loved it both times. Huge lines, though.
                   
                  #9
                    JaneDough

                    • Total Posts: 127
                    • Joined: 5/9/2003
                    • Location: Drexel Hill, PA
                    RE: NYC Chocolate Shops Sun, 11/30/03 10:42 PM (permalink)
                    Isn't there a Maison du Chocolat on Madison Avenue? I visited one in France, just before they said they were opening in NYC. They don't ship (at least, they didn't back in 1989). Their chocolates are fresh and handmade, and even beautiful just to look at. The chocolate-brown gift boxes with dark chocolate-colored ribbon ties even look good enough to eat!
                     
                    #10
                      Spudnut

                      • Total Posts: 655
                      • Joined: 6/30/2003
                      • Location: New York, NY
                      RE: NYC Chocolate Shops Sun, 11/30/03 11:33 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by JaneDough

                      Isn't there a Maison du Chocolat on Madison Avenue? I visited one in France, just before they said they were opening in NYC. They don't ship (at least, they didn't back in 1989). Their chocolates are fresh and handmade, and even beautiful just to look at. The chocolate-brown gift boxes with dark chocolate-colored ribbon ties even look good enough to eat!



                      La Maison is incredible, but it certainly ain't cheap. And ever daring to call it roadfood might get me stripped of my cheeseburger commission....
                       
                      #11
                        LizzieR

                        • Total Posts: 92
                        • Joined: 8/11/2003
                        • Location: Middle Village, NY
                        RE: NYC Chocolate Shops Mon, 12/1/03 1:48 PM (permalink)
                        My point is that there are only high-end, exclusive chocolate shops left in New York City. Where are the Bartons and Barricinni's of yesteryear!
                         
                        #12
                          Goldeng

                          • Total Posts: 1
                          • Joined: 3/4/2004
                          • Location: strasburg, PA
                          RE: NYC Chocolate Shops Thu, 03/4/04 10:16 AM (permalink)
                          Can you tell me more about Barton's chocolates? Years ago I came across small tin chocolate molds, about an inch to 1.5 inches long, at a flea market bearing the Barton's Bonbonnier name. I have about 30 of them, but quizzically, many have Christian symbols like a bishop, Easter bunny, etc. Online, most references were about the candies being kosher and a popular passover treat. Thanks. Goldeng
                           
                          #13
                            Michael Hoffman

                            • Total Posts: 17837
                            • Joined: 7/1/2000
                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                            RE: NYC Chocolate Shops Thu, 03/4/04 11:41 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Goldeng

                            Can you tell me more about Barton's chocolates? Years ago I came across small tin chocolate molds, about an inch to 1.5 inches long, at a flea market bearing the Barton's Bonbonnier name. I have about 30 of them, but quizzically, many have Christian symbols like a bishop, Easter bunny, etc. Online, most references were about the candies being kosher and a popular passover treat. Thanks. Goldeng


                            Here's where you can get some interesting information about Barton's:

                            http://www.koshertoday.com/kosher%20today%20archives/2000/0800/A%20Kosher%20Aphrodisiac.htm
                             
                            #14
                              Hiram Callahan

                              • Total Posts: 116
                              • Joined: 8/16/2000
                              • Location: New York, NY
                              RE: NYC Chocolate Shops Thu, 03/4/04 1:15 PM (permalink)
                              Mondel's Chocolates at Broadway and 114th Street may be just what you're looking for. Nearly devoid of pretension, it makes really good traditional candy store chocolates. They make their own right there in the store. I particularly love the butter toffee crunch, but that's me. They have dark, milk and light, you can select your own or buy a box, and they have stuff for kids, too. The kicker is that it's near Columbia, and it's priced in such a way that even students can afford it.

                              Here's more information, via the Columbia Newspaper: http://www.columbiaspectator.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/03/02/40444984961ce
                               
                              #15
                                Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                Jump to:

                                Current active users

                                There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                                Icon Legend and Permission

                                • New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

                                2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com