The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

New forum format

Change Page: < 123456 | Showing page 6 of 6, messages 151 to 177 of 177
wheregreggeats.com

Re:New forum format Tue, 12/23/08 9:30 AM (permalink)
To all involved in the conversion, thank you.

I am getting the hang of the new software.

catosaurus

Re:New forum format Tue, 12/23/08 11:33 AM (permalink)
    KonaErnie

catosaurus

One of the issues I've noticed on older threads is that the "Change Page" option isn't appearing.  It shows here, on this thread, but it's not showing on older ones, and -- since the earliest messages are the ones that appear when you open the thread -- it means I can't see the more recent postings AND I can't find any links or buttons that will get me to other pages.

Cat...Is it possible that the threads you were looking at were only one page long to begin with?

When I see current/recent messages appear on the RF home page, with a notation that the last message was posted a few minutes ago, I click on the link to go see the latest entry.  More than once I've done this since the website has been updated, only to find that I'm looking at a forum page that began in 2005 or 2006, with no indication that other pages exist.  The most recent posting on the page I can see is years old.  Since the posting entry on the RF home page says that it was a few minutes old, I can only assume that there are more pages within that forum topic.  However, I've not been able to figure out how to get to them.  It happened to me again yesterday, which prompted my message.

If anyone has a "fix" for this, I'd appreciate the info!

mland520

• Total Posts: 485
      Re:New forum format Tue, 12/23/08 12:03 PM (permalink)
      You can put me in the "don't like it" column, too wide for my screen- too much scrolling. And could we liven up the color- just a bit?

dexmat

• Total Posts: 113
        Re:New forum format Tue, 12/23/08 1:34 PM (permalink)

catosaurus

KonaErnie

catosaurus

One of the issues I've noticed on older threads is that the "Change Page" option isn't appearing.  It shows here, on this thread, but it's not showing on older ones, and -- since the earliest messages are the ones that appear when you open the thread -- it means I can't see the more recent postings AND I can't find any links or buttons that will get me to other pages.

Cat...Is it possible that the threads you were looking at were only one page long to begin with?

When I see current/recent messages appear on the RF home page, with a notation that the last message was posted a few minutes ago, I click on the link to go see the latest entry.  More than once I've done this since the website has been updated, only to find that I'm looking at a forum page that began in 2005 or 2006, with no indication that other pages exist.  The most recent posting on the page I can see is years old.  Since the posting entry on the RF home page says that it was a few minutes old, I can only assume that there are more pages within that forum topic.  However, I've not been able to figure out how to get to them.  It happened to me again yesterday, which prompted my message.

If anyone has a "fix" for this, I'd appreciate the info!

Have you checked the 'this post has been edited' note at the bottom of the posts?  I've just come across a couple of those.

Generally it seems to be better to go to the Forums main page, click on 'posts since last visit' to get the latest updates, rather than those little arrows at the bottom of the old home page.  There does seem to be some disconnect between functions on the old home page and the way the new forum works.  The new option is much better than the old one.

dexmat

• Total Posts: 113
          Re:New forum format Tue, 12/23/08 1:37 PM (permalink)

Tony Bad

Lindseyup67

Prime example....I just posted the above message, and after posting it, I was taken back to the first page of this discussion...i.e. page 1 of 5 pages.....instead of bringing me to page 5.....this is what I am talking about............Grrrrrr...............

I am confused by people having such vastly different experiences from mine. When I post something, using quick reply, full reply, or by hitting reply within a prior post...after hitting send I am taken to my post, which is at the end of the posts.

Before you think this is because I have some special conntrols as a moderator, I created a non-admin user identity to test, and got same results.

I am also wondering where the "active topics" button you refer to is located. There is a link to "posts since last visit", which is similar to old active topics link, but when I click the link, it always takes me right where I ask.

Not sure how to explain why things are working so differently for others. I am not saying all is perfect, but some of these issues are impossible to "fix" when they can't be reproduced.

I wonder if it could be the browser being used?  I haven't had many of the problems being reported by others such as small pictures.  I use Firefox.  I switched a long time ago because IE couldn't handle the software on another forum I frequent for some reason and I had to repeatedly shut the browser down and re-open it to get to the pages I wanted.  Firefox is so much smoother.

Edit:  By the way I'm loving the new software.  It is a major improvement over the old.  The search feature not only works, it highlights the term you're looking for in posts so you don't have to read every post looking for the one comment that you want.

The Active topics option on the old software always gave me weeks worth of posts, no matter how I tried to set the parameters.  This one remembers me and only shows me the ones since my last visit, even if that was only a few minutes ago.

<message edited by dexmat on Tue, 12/23/08 1:40 PM>

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
            Re:New forum format Tue, 12/23/08 9:31 PM (permalink)
            Add QFan's vote to twinwillow, michael and others above who don't like it. Understand that there may have been compelling reasons for a change, but this is not a home run!

QFan
            Bonita Springs, FL

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7750
              Re:New forum format Wed, 12/24/08 3:27 AM (permalink)
              Davydd

A good fast easy read book is Who Moved My Cheese?. It might be worth reading if you are stressed out about this forum change.

More like who moved the Nyquil!

Maybe that is what is missing, for the transition period. Keep it green, and it is just like a shot of Sambuca!

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                Re:New forum format Wed, 12/24/08 6:14 AM (permalink)

jeepguy

Seems small, bland, and too spread out. Easier to read before.

I'll just post like this!

flyseye

• Total Posts: 467
                  Re:New forum format Wed, 12/24/08 3:09 PM (permalink)
                  I really like the new format. The ranting and raving over the entire change, particularly over the post counts and star ratings was truly something to behold.

Speaking of that, the " block user " feature is worthy in  itself of the change. Bravo, and block away.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                    Re:New forum format Wed, 12/24/08 3:23 PM (permalink)
                    I have been online since 2002 and post frequently on a number of message boards and invariably when they upgrade you wind up with some problems and good and bads comments.

My only complaint so far is I keep getting an error message on one thread I post at a lot in the Regional forum, involving restaurants in Dayton/Middletown area, and Stephen is trying to fix this glitch.

Other than that I love the new format and it is much more user friendly overall altho the the email notices do not seem to be working properly yet but it is sure nice to see the comment so you do not have to go to the message board each time.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                      Re:New forum format Wed, 12/24/08 3:38 PM (permalink)
                      Question regarding locked topics....

Is the only designation for a locked topic the tiny lock icon, which is not visible in the "active topics" view?  Once a thread is opened, there does not appear to be any distinction that a thread is locked, other than the inability to post new messages.

In one locked thread, there still appears to be the "message options" section available on only the moderators post in that thread.

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
                        Re:New forum format Wed, 12/24/08 6:20 PM (permalink)
                        It stinks!

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                          Re:New forum format Wed, 12/24/08 6:55 PM (permalink)
                          bill voss

It is actually quite nice. Just sort of like moving into a new place. You have to figure out where the light switches are.

I like it,..... I can write in purple till I'm blue in the face........I find it very easy to use, once I found the lightswitches.
                          Granted, there still are a few bugs that seem to be needed to be worked out.....

<message edited by roossy90 on Wed, 12/24/08 6:58 PM>

NebGuy

• Total Posts: 875
                            Re:New forum format Wed, 12/24/08 7:06 PM (permalink)
                            Tara:

Posting in purple brings back memories of a purple Runza. Maybe I can find the picture somewhere?

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                              Re:New forum format Wed, 12/24/08 7:11 PM (permalink)
                              NebGuy

Tara:

Posting in purple brings back memories of a purple Runza. Maybe I can find the picture somewhere?

Ah Ha........ you figgered it out........ damn, you are fast.......... Adjudicator might have that pic you are speaking of.... Tee hee..... I know a few that can manage to find it here.

porkchopexpress

• Total Posts: 798
                                Re:New forum format Thu, 12/25/08 8:01 AM (permalink)
                                I don't care for it but I guess I'll get use to it

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                  Re:New forum format Thu, 12/25/08 3:10 PM (permalink)
                                  I do wish we could sort the new messages by the topic headings. Other than that I am getting used to this.
                                  Joe

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                                    Re:New forum format Thu, 01/8/09 1:50 AM (permalink)
                                    I don't like it because no matter what I do, most of the pictures are too small to even view.  I used to love the trip reports because of the pics..now I can't see them at all.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                                      Re:New forum format Thu, 01/8/09 2:03 AM (permalink)
                                      kland01s

I complained earlier about the picture size and discovered that they are small if you are not loged, log in and they are normal. What tricked me is that on the Home page I am shown to be logged in but on the Forum page, I am not so that means you have to to log in every visit.

Early today the home town of each poster appeared under their name, I liked that feature. I see it's gone already.

Even when I am logged in, they are still small for me.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                        Re:New forum format Thu, 01/8/09 6:51 AM (permalink)
                                        Jennifer, try putting your cursor on the first little picture, right clicking, and hitting "properties".   

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                                          Re:New forum format Sun, 01/11/09 5:40 PM (permalink)
                                          To me it's a toss up, but I still haven't figured out WHY there was a change at all?
                                          Change for change's sake? 

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Re:New forum format Sun, 01/11/09 6:13 PM (permalink)
                                            NYM - We changed because the last forum software was no longer supported by the developer.  Hackers were constantly bombarding our site; I couldn't make any changes because everything would crash; it was a mess.  It was a decision I don't enjoy making, but had to be done.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3091
                                              Re:New forum format Sun, 01/11/09 7:31 PM (permalink)
                                              Previously, my slick, super duper, super slick, super fast cable modem would load this site like I still had a 28K dial-up. The new Roadfood loads just great.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                                                Re:New forum format Mon, 01/12/09 2:40 AM (permalink)
                                                Put me down as not especially happy with the new format.  It appears that to get more active I would have to do a lot of relearning and I'm not very motivated to spend the time on that.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
                                                  Re:New forum format Mon, 01/12/09 3:21 AM (permalink)
                                                  Put me down as having gotten used to the new format...it's not bad...but as we've talked about elsewhere, the"rate a poster" system stinks!!! It cheapens this wonderful forum way too much!!!!!

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                    Re:New forum format Mon, 01/12/09 3:49 AM (permalink)
                                                    One thing I have been unable to figure out is how to edit posts. If any of you can enlighten me on that, I would be appreciative.

Sundancer7

Re:New forum format Mon, 01/12/09 4:40 AM (permalink)
                                                      mr chips

One thing I have been unable to figure out is how to edit posts. If any of you can enlighten me on that, I would be appreciative.

On the right hand side of your post, you will notice message options.  Click on that and edit messages with appear.

Paul E. Smith
                                                      Knoxville, TN

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                        Change Page: < 123456 | Showing page 6 of 6, messages 151 to 177 of 177

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com