The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Cheeseburger with a "skirt"

bonitamandita

• Total Posts: 9
Cheeseburger with a "skirt" Mon, 12/22/08 11:14 PM (permalink)
 Today I was watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and the "teaser" before the commercial break showed a burger with a "cheese skirt" made by a chef Omaha.  He said he copied the recipe from a place in California. 

I was really excited because I had never see this cheese skirt thing before I went to Nobby's in Chico, California and I assumed that's where he had his first burger with a cheese skirt. [ For those of you who aren't familar- to make a cheese skirt you add a giant handful of shredded cheese onto the top of the burger while its on the grill.  The cheese falls off the sides and forms a crispy circle around the burger (which kind of looks like a skirt, hence the name).  ]

Anyway, turns our he had this burger for the first time in Sacramento (not at Nobby's in Chico).  

So I was wondering.  Is the cheese skirt thing more common than I thought? Where else can you get one?  

waltpiii

Re:Cheeseburger with a "skirt" Tue, 12/23/08 10:18 AM (permalink)
    The Shady Glen in Manchester, CT prepares their cheeseburgers in this manner.

Walt

buffetbuster

Re:Cheeseburger with a "skirt" Tue, 12/23/08 10:30 AM (permalink)
      In the little town I live in north of Pittsburgh, we have a few restaurants that also make these. Here, they are called old-fashioneds.

<message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 12/23/08 11:29 AM>

Foodosaurus

Re:Cheeseburger with a "skirt" Tue, 12/23/08 10:53 AM (permalink)
        waltpiii

The Shady Glen in Manchester, CT prepares their cheeseburgers in this manner.

Walt

This is from the Roadfood review.

There are plenty of other pictures as well.  www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=14
        <message edited by braunsteinm on Tue, 12/23/08 10:54 AM>

mland520

• Total Posts: 485
          Re:Cheeseburger with a "skirt" Tue, 12/23/08 12:05 PM (permalink)
          I think on DDD the cook put a lid over the burger w/the shredded cheese and that's how it cooked in the perfect circle. Looks delish!

uncledaveyo

• Total Posts: 599
            Re:Cheeseburger with a "skirt" Tue, 12/23/08 1:14 PM (permalink)
            Love the pic from the Shady Glen - it looks like a queso sombrero!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:Cheeseburger with a "skirt" Tue, 12/23/08 1:19 PM (permalink)
              Nothing personal, but I want my cheese ON THE BURGER..  A little dripage off the edge is ok, but to put a half a slice on the grill??? 

Foodosaurus

Re:Cheeseburger with a "skirt" Tue, 12/23/08 1:36 PM (permalink)
                Vic - It is actually half of four slices....  The cheese gets very crispy.  I usually fold two or three of the corners up onto the burger.  This gives it almost a bacon-like crunchyness.  I eat the other corner(s) as a chip.

ayersian

Re:Cheeseburger with a "skirt" Tue, 12/23/08 2:02 PM (permalink)
                  bonitamandita, you may be referring to the Squeeze Inn in Sacramento, expertly reviewed on our site by Erika & Jon.  They even said that they originally confused this burger with the same from Shady Glen.

The Shady Glen cheeseburger is one of the most unique I've ever had -- and one of my absolute favorites.  In fact, I bought the T-shirt with said burger prominently featured!    Chris

donw9876

• Total Posts: 289
                    Re:Cheeseburger with a "skirt" Tue, 12/23/08 4:38 PM (permalink)
                    So the big wavy things in these pictures that look like a taco salad shell is burnt cheese?

Burnt cheese can be pretty tasty as long as all of the moisture isn't cooked out of it, otherwise it's just a cooking mistake. I'd pay for a serving of mildly burnt cheese pieces as an appetizer, done right. When I fix nachos at home, the burnt cheese that runs off the nachos is one of the tastiest bits.

Bill Reynolds

• Total Posts: 230
                      Re:Cheeseburger with a "skirt" Sun, 02/15/09 12:24 AM (permalink)
                      I can only say that that looks to good to resist and the next time I'm on my grill doing burgers I am going to give that a shot. I love cheese slightly burnt like that. Thanks much for that post!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com