Chicken & waffles on Route 66 in Fontana.... now that's roadfood

Author
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
2009/01/07 09:13:16 (permalink)

Chicken & waffles on Route 66 in Fontana.... now that's roadfood

We went to Moe's Chicken & Waffles in Fontana for lunch yesterday, and, except for a couple of minor items, we couldn't have been happier. I'll bullet point from the beginning:

Service: Nita runs a very attentive, clean and friendly front of house. I felt like family, and I mean that in a non-dysfunctional family sort if way. Y'know, one of those families that actually get along with each other. Total time from ordering to sloppin the trough was 20 minutes, but we got there between 10:30 and 11am.

My order: The 5 piece plate of smothered chicken with two sides, which were red beans and rice and a waffle.

The chicken: Cooked and seasoned perfectly. The first things I looked for were how the white meat came out and whether the drumstick had any rare meat near the bone. Like I said, perfectly cooked, not greasy. This chicken was goooooood. The gravy didn't impress me. It was too yellow, which to me means it was what I call  "packet gravy". It did have onions in it, which helped a little. I like a milk gravy on my chicken, just like both my Southern grandmothers used to make. I won't be ordering anything smothered again. The chicken gets 5 of 5 stars, the gravy 2.

The sides: The red beans were somewhat underwhelming in their blandness. It's not that they weren't good, but I'm used to red beans done in the Southern Louisiana style. They had chunks of meat in them though, that's always welcome.

The waffle: Just a darn good, perfectly cooked waffle, and they don't scrimp on the butter, so if you don't like that on your waffle (like I don't), be sure to tell them to hold the butter.

I also more than sampled some of the sides ordered by my two dining companions:

The candied yams: Holy moly, if I could marry those yams I would, and I'd live in eternal wedded bliss for the rest of my life. I'm so glad one of the gals got full on her other food before she could get to her yams, because that meant I got to scarf most of them down. These were perfection. Don't ask what's in them, because they'll have to kill you if they tell you. It's a secret.

The greens: Once again, the best I've ever eaten. Meaty, irony and rich. And they're good for you.

Some of the items I was too full to try this time: Homemade peach cobbler, 7-Up cake, mac & cheese..... next time maybe, and there will be a next time.

This place is a welcome gem in an area sorely bereft of decent soul food. I love the fact that I don't have to drive to L.A. now to stick the soul food needle in my arm.... it's a short 4 mile drive from my home now.

Moe's Chicken & Waffles
13819 Foothill Blvd
Fontana, CA 92335
(909) 574-6637
http://www.moeschickenandwaffles.com/index.html

20 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1