Famous Philly's in Port Orange, FL

Author
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
2009/01/12 11:29:17 (permalink)

Famous Philly's in Port Orange, FL

The John A - Baah Ben Limited Roadfood Tour reared its ugly head again here in Port Orange, FL, a little south of Daytona Beach, hometown of John A. Ironically, John has never been here before so I was happy to turn him on to this place.

You gotta love the outside of this joint.   Nope folks..This one you don't have to worry about.  It ain't no chain (yet) albeit they own another location in Palm Coast. 

We were the first to arrive at 11:00 AM.  My RF partner likes to start early! They can seat about 100 people, by the time we had finished; the place was half full on a Friday for lunch. 

We split a 9" cheesesteak with white American (you can have your choice of white or yellow American, Cheese Wiz or provolone) onions and green peppers; John does not like mushrooms, which also come with the sandwich.  We also ordered a side of very well done fries.  They're frozen, but were pretty good.  I've been here at least 4-5 times and always enjoyed their cheesesteak sandwiches. It's the best version I've ever had, but I have never been to Philly.  John has been to Philly.  He enjoyed this one very much. too.

Each weekday, you can get their 7" cheesesteak special for $6.95 that includes a soda, chips, and a pickle; fries are $1.00 extra.  The sandwich comes out molten hot because they mix everything together and the cheese is like lava!  I cannot imagine a true Philly cheesesteak being much better than this one..Except for the roll itself. That's the key. Even though they have the bread baked locally to their specifications, as good as it is, it’s just not the same.

No napkins here, each table has a roll of paper towels and you are going to need it as these sandwiches are literally dripping with goodness from the melted cheese. If you still have room you can finish up with a Tastycake.

Friday night is Doo Wop night, one of a number of promotions they use to attract their fair share of followers. Not pictured is the wall with TV’s from end to end for sports fans. Here’s their website - http://famousphillys.com/news/

John - Thanks for the great pictures as usual and the good company.

Back at ya BB.

27 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1