Hot!University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dtortor1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 334
2009/01/17 14:18:05 (permalink)

University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce

I attended Alabama from 96-01. (Roll Tide...) The best part of the football games was the awesome Stadium Dog, sometimes referred to as "Denny Dogs".

The dog was already prepared and topped. It was handed to you wrapped in foil.

The dog had sauerkraut and some kind of brownish sauce.

I've tried different things topping a sauerkraut covered dog, then left to sit for a while in foil to let it blend, but I was never able to replicate this sauce.

I have googled and googled and googled. I became a member here a month ago, and thought this may just be the place I find the answer. I know its a longshot because I need to find someone who is not only a hot dog afficianado, but also has ate at Bryant Denny, and just happens to be on this forum at the right time...

Please help! My latest search yielded a petition to bring the dog back, apparently it was changed when the food service contract was given to a new company last year. I thought that dog tasted funny this year...

So, roadfoodies.... What is the secret to the University of Alabama Stadium Dog???

Dom

31 Replies Related Threads

dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/03 20:50:56 (permalink)
    Anybody have a clue what could make a brownish hot dog sauce that goes well with sauerkraut??

I really want my stadium dog experience at home...

Dom

WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1864
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/03 21:00:56 (permalink)
    Sorry, man.  No idea what it could have been.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/03 22:54:27 (permalink)
      While I just can't see chili with sauerkraut, some do. Hence, if I were on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and your question was asked, I'd guess a chili sauce of some sort.

The Bear
    John Sagi
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/04 00:20:42 (permalink)
    Could you describe the sauce ?

Thick or thin
    Meat
    Onions
    Spicy

What color was the sauerkraut ?

Are there any pictures of the hot dog ?

A onion sauce may work
    post edited by John Sagi - 2009/02/04 05:42:23
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10411
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/04 01:16:03 (permalink)
    http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?drgonzo9

Contact the originator of this petition,  Jeff Mitchell a.k.a. Dr. Gonzo (drgonzo1968@yahoo.com). . I'd bet he knows the answer
    post edited by Foodbme - 2009/02/04 01:20:30
    dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/05 01:02:19 (permalink)
    foodbme- thanks for that tip, i've come across that petition several times in my hunt but never even thought about looking for the originators email... At least he shares my passion!!

I may be a little embarrased here if what I'm finding is true... was on an Alabama forum browsing around and most people when talking about this dog and if they were gonna keep it or not, said it was just ketchup and mustard mixed, and then with sauerkraut.

I can't imagine it being that simple, I tried so many dif. combinations in college, and I was sure there was bbq sauce in there...

I'm gonna try to mix up some and match how I remember the color, see if it may just be that simple!

No picture, but I'll start looking!

Dom
    earlc32
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/05 03:05:29 (permalink)
    Don't know about the Denny Dogs, but Birmingham is a hotbed of little hotdog joints - Gus', Famous Pete's, Sneaky Pete's, Mike's, Sammy's, etc.  All use a sauce much like that you describe. I know Sneaky Pete's sells bottles of their sauce and others probably do as well.  If you still get back to the area or have friends there you might try that.  Otherwise, you can look up their phone numbers and /or web addresses (if they have one) and contact them about mail order.  Bama's concessions used to be run by the owner of one of the Piggly Wigglys (Bessemer ?) if you can find any lead from that.  Good luck - yours is a worthwhile quest.
    earlc32
    Junior Burger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/05 03:12:13 (permalink)
    Another thought - Birmingham probably still has one or more afternoon radio sport-talk shows.  You might try calling one of those and putting the question on the air or asking the moderator if he knows or can find out.  If Ben Cook is still on the air, that is the kind of question he might enjoy.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10517
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/05 12:52:02 (permalink)
    I went to a Alabama football in October of 2007 and I didn't get a hot dog.  Now I feel like I missed out!
    dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/05 13:21:48 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

I went to a Alabama football in October of 2007 and I didn't get a hot dog.  Now I feel like I missed out!

At least you got to see Alabama Football... hopefully we won... 07 was hit or miss...

As for the hot dog, you really have to appreciate a cheap basic dog with great flavor. This ain't no gourmet!

Part of what made it so good, in my opinion, was that they were made up ahead of time then wrapped in foil. By the time you got it, it was all squished and the bun was stuck to the dog. But man, did me and my friends love them. Apparently so did a lot of other people, but there were lots who also thought they weren't so good. The ones that did not think they were good, usually mention getting a cold one.

I miss those dogs!

Dom

earlc32- Thank you very much for those tips! I'll have to make some calls and if I find this answer I'll be sure to post it here. This post is now the first result on most Google searches I'm making. Oh, the power of RoadFood!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/05 13:41:42 (permalink)
    dtortor1-
    I saw the Tide roll over Tennessee.  There are some photos on my trip report.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Buffetbuster-amp-Cousin-Tour-South-m335938-p3.aspx

I have been to college football games all over the country and that was the best atmosphere I have seen.  Awesome place to see a game!  The only thing that would have made it better was a couple of Denny dogs!
    dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/05 20:49:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link; I really enjoyed it!

Glad you came to a good game!

I noticed you didn't make any comment about the breakfast at the Waysider... I ate there once when in college around 2000 and I really didn't think it lived up to the hype. Maybe its because I make such good country ham with redeye gravy....!

Did you find it good but forgettable like I did?

If you ever go back though, the one thing that would have made it better is not the Denny Dog, although I'm sure you would enjoy it, as I see you are fond of the hot dog.

It's actually Archibald's BBQ. I have seen some posts about it on here before and this is truly road food at its finest. Just a little shack with a 40 or 50 year old BBQ pit that puts out the best dang ribs I believe I will ever taste. Was talking to a friend about them and realized... its not any kind of spice or thing you can duplicate. The man uses NOTHING on the ribs. Its just the combo of hickory smoke, seasoning of the pit, AND Mr. Archibald's technique of spraying the ribs and fire while cooking with a regular ol' garden hose.

Just uses the nozzle and hits em when they need them. Its all in his skills and that is what makes them special!

Now he does have some mighty fine BBQ sauce that he adds when you order, but I always order them with sauce on the side. Comes in a little styro cup perfect for dipping my bread in. Which is what the ribs are served with, on 3 pieces of white bread. Then covered in was paper and put in a paper bag. Oh what I wouldn't give to have those anytime I want them.

Because even when I lived there I could not get enough! But when I do go to a game, I ALWAYS call ahead, because he is likely to sell out a day ahead of time even for the day before the game!

I learned my lesson once, now Archibalds number is stored in my phone and I make the call before I leave Missouri... 205-345-6861. Just make sure if you are late you let them know... I was late because it is a 6 hour trip. I almost didn't get my ribs, they said they gave 'em away after I no-showed. Luckily I have a beard and have made small talk alot, and I think he made it work for me, cause I got em!

Dom
    dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/05 20:57:53 (permalink)
    Oh, and thanks for the compliment on the atmosphere! We like to tailgate and party! In fact, other than sneaking in after halftime occasionally, I haven't been to a game, its just too fun sitting outside the stadium where everyone sets up their satellite and has such great food!

The only place I've been that rivaled it was LSU. Those  guys hate us on the field, well, especially now. But it was still a pretty heated rivalry even back in 00 or 01, and they are some good ol' folks and you cannot beat the seafood for tailgate parties!

I also remember one year living in the dorms. We were hootin and hollerin Roll Tide out the windows. The LSU fans actually invited us down for fried turkey! THAT is southern hospitality!
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1798
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/05 21:25:43 (permalink)
    Sorry my friends, but you have never, ever been to the ultimate tailgate party until you hit Penn State on a nice Autumn weekend. It is beyond description when State College becomes the third largest city in Pennsylvania for 5-6 Saturdays each Fall. The stadium holds 110,000 and there's probably another 30,000 or so still in the parking lots making some phenomenal food and pouring nectar of the gods. There are more than 3000 big RV's!

makes me wish I had gone there.......at least I was lucky enough to have my kids go there
    dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/05 21:46:46 (permalink)
    Wow. I had no idea they made 'em that huge! I thought Alabama's 92,000 was pretty impressive.

It always surprises me how much smaller the NFL stadiums are. I love college football!!

Would love to check out a Penn State game if I ever get the chance!

Dom
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1798
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/05 22:25:29 (permalink)
    There was actually some talk (although tongue in cheek due to contracts) that IF it had been Pittsburgh and Philadelphia in the Super Bowl, they should have played it at Penn State since it is one of the largest if not the largest stadiums in the country!...and equidistant from both places
    dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/06 12:11:36 (permalink)
    BuffetBuster- Boy do I feel silly! Just realized I missed page 2 of your trip report and did not realize you came through Tuscaloosa twice!!

Glad you got to try those ribs and was so excited to see that pic of the green roof!

My apoligies for not reading throught the entire post before commenting!

Dom
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/06 12:53:08 (permalink)
    dtortor1-
    No reason to apologize.  I am definitely a fan of Archibald's.  The building is one of a kind, even in the world of bbq.  Maybe this is heresy, but I think they may be better than Dreamland.  What do you think?

BTW, I have never been to a LSU game in Baton Rouge, but it is (along with Georgia) the place I most want to see a game.  Their hospitality and atmosphere is legendary.

Even though I live in a pro football city, I also much prefer the college game. 
    will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 440
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/06 14:17:20 (permalink)
    Wow!  I'm keeping an eye on this thread!  I love those stadium hotgdogs in T-Town.  It would be wonderful to be able to duplicate the sauce.  Please...if you find out anything from the petition originator, post it here so we can all see.  Roll Tide!  What a season!
    dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/07 04:21:31 (permalink)
    Archibalds beats Dreamland hands down in my opinion. I must confess I only ate at Dreamland once but it was the original. It was just so expensive and not that good.

I had Archibalds once and was hooked.
    earlc32
    Junior Burger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/16 23:27:27 (permalink)
    I may have a little something for you.  It finally occurred to me that I might have a good source.  I subscribe to Bama OnLine, a sports site naturally heavy on football, but with a forum where 'most anything Bama-related can be discussed.  So I put out the question and got a surprising number of responses.

It seems the actual recipe is a secret and the sauce is not for sale.  But several people say they have come close mixing about 3/4 ketchup to 1/4 mustard.  Another said add some brown sugar to that and heat in a pan until mixed.  My personal guess would be to also add a little garlic powder or onion powder.  Several think that part of the secret is the wrapping in foil while all is still warm and letting it sit until all the flavors blend.

Not the actual answer you were looking for, but maybe it can get you "in the balpark".  Roll Tide!!
    dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/17 02:40:06 (permalink)
    Well, Thank you!

I've done some experimenting of my own and here is what I tried. I think it was a little different, but my goal was a delicious dog, not exactly a copy.

I did about 2/3 ketchup and 1/3 mustard, i just mixed it til the color looked right. From what little I have found online, it may be that simple. I had Nathan's dogs 8-1 bun length, which I am sure they would not have used their. I grilled them in a skillet with a bit of butter for a while til nice and done.

A forum post I found by someone that made them said, I think, 8 minutes. They also said they sit a max of 30 minutes, but you know that gets stretched.

My college buddies and I always believed the secret WAS in the way it sat in the foil, so when it was time to prep them I layed out two pieces of foil with buns. I put the hot dog on and just as haphazardly as a volunteer at a concession stand, threw on some kraut and sloshed on the sauce. I then rolled them up and "manhandled" them a bit by squeezing to simulate squishing into a cooler.

Then I put them in the oven at 130 or so degrees for a half hour just to get them right in the danger zone like the stadium would...

Pretty damn close, absolutely delicious. For authenticity's sake, I downed a beer before I ate the first one and made sure to do it in just four bites just like at a game when a little buzzed. The second one I savored!

Next time I'll try some Garlic and/ or onion powder. Brown sugar would lend well to the color!

Roll Tide to you my friend... can you post a link to where you posted this stuff? I'd like to join, always love talking Bama Football.

Now if i could only perfect my guthries sauce!

Dom
    earlc32
    Junior Burger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/17 08:19:08 (permalink)
    Here's the link to BOL

http://alabama.rivals.com/

Good luck on the Guthrie's sauce.  Looks like they've folded.  Too bad, best chicken sandwiches ever.
    dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/18 04:27:46 (permalink)
    What ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???? ARE YOU SURE?? if that were the case I think I would have even heard up here from friends down there...

You mean the whole business is belly up.. google here i come...

Dom
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/18 07:54:27 (permalink)
    What is Guthrie's?
    earlc32
    Junior Burger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/18 21:12:52 (permalink)
    Every one I know in No Al - Athens, Decatur, and Cullman all shut down just about simultaneously.  If you find out differently, let me know.

For the other poster, Guthrie's offered fried chicken finger plates and sandwiches, with limited sides.  Really excellent.
    dtortor1
    Cheeseburger
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/02/20 01:15:32 (permalink)
    No sir earlc32. Guthries offered an incredible dipping sauce with fried chicken fingers and sandwiches and other sides, on the side...

always seemed to me the fingers were hit or miss, sometimes phenomenal, sometimes, mediocre... but that damn sauce...

Oh and the Texas toast... mmmm

I'm from Hamilton, AL and somehow THEY got a guthries, since its close to haleyville where the original is, maybe its owner owned, possible the ones in those areas were franchised??

At least I've about got the sauce down.... In fact I am starting a concession business and am considering chicken fingers with a guthries style sauce. People outside of the south just don't know what they are missing, but its funny how many places have that sauce down there. Guthries, Zaxbys, and someone else I think.

But i think guthries was the originator.

Dom
    cecutsha
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2009/10/02 14:33:46 (permalink)
    Try this:
    There is a restaurant in Birmingham called, Hamburger Heaven. The website is linked below. Order a bottle or 50 of their sauce online.
    http://www.hamburgerheavenrestaurant.com/

Mix the sauce with about 2 parts mustard and 1 part Ketchup.
    Add some cayenne pepper

mix it together and you have it.

If you truly want the experience, use Bryan or Zeigler beefy jumbo dogs. Make sure you boil the dogs for 10 minutes.

Wrap the dogs (with sauce and kraut on them) in Reynolds wrap and place in the oven for 2 hours on 225 degrees.

Enjoy. Going to cook some up for the UK game tomorrow.

Roll Tide.
    Chris
    UnderDawg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:University of Alabama - Bryant Denny Stadium Dog - Secret Sauce 2010/06/27 04:09:49 (permalink)
    earlc32

Here's the link to BOL

Good luck on the Guthrie's sauce.  Looks like they've folded.  Too bad, best chicken sandwiches ever.

Guthrie's has closed a lot of stores in the Birmingham area but there are still a few open.  There is one in Hoover near the Galarea and one in Alabaster across the street from Shelby hospital.  The fair is "ok" but I've never been overly impressed.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1