Hot!Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in)

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4211
2009/01/18 15:21:18 (permalink)

Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in)

So, here’s the concept; back in October, 2007, Saveur Magazine ran their issue about Chicago dining, food shopping, and local specialty foods in general.  It was the first time Saveur had ever devoted an entire issue to a single city.  On their cover they declared Chicago to be their “Favorite Food Town!”  Their writers and editors visited 30 different restaurants, all over town, ranging from high end, four star, white table cloth institutions to flat out dives.  About two thirds of the places they reviewed are Roadfood-worthy.  I have listed them below.

Army & Lou’s-Soul Food, Inexpensive
422 East 75th Street
Chicago
(773) 483-3100

Borinquen Restaurant-Puerto Rican, Jibarito Sandwiches, Inexpensive
1720 North California Avenue
Chicago
(773) 227-6038

Burt’s Place-Pizza in the Pan, Inexpensive
8541 Ferris Avenue
Morton Grove
(847) 965-7997

Calumet Fisheries-Fried and Smoked Fish and Seafood, Inexpensive
3259 East 95th Street
Chicago
(773) 933-9855

Carnitas La Michoacana-Carnitas (Roast Whole Hog), Inexpensive
2049 W. Cermak Road
Chicago
(773) 254-2970

Dodo-Urban Diner, Featuring Breakfast, Moderate
935 Damen Avenue
Chicago
(773) 772-3636

Donald’s Famous Hot Dogs-Classic Chicago Dogs & Italian Beef, Inexpensive
2325 South Western Avenue
Chicago
(773) 254-7777

Ed’s Potsticker House-Chinese, Inexpensive
3139 South Halsted Street
Chicago
(312) 326-6898

Gorditas Aguascalientes-Mexican (Gorditas a specialty), Inexpensive
3132 W. 26th Street
Chicago
(773) 254-3466

Hecky’s Barbecue-Barbecue, Inexpensive
1902 Green Bay Road
Evanston
(847) 492-1182

Helen’s-Soul Food, Inexpensive
1732 East 79th Street
Chicago
(773) 933-9871

Hot Doug’s-Hot Dogs and Specialty Encased Meats, Inexpensive
3324 North California Avenue
Chicago
(773) 279-9550

Izola’s-Soul Food, Inexpensive
522 East 79th Street
Chicago
(773) 846-1484

Lem’s Bar-B-Q-Barbecue, Inexpensive
311 East 75th Street
Chicago
(773) 994-2428

Lindy’s Chili & Gertie’s Ice Cream-Chili, Burgers, Ice Cream, , Inexpensive
3685 South Archer Avenue
Chicago
(773) 927-7807

Soul Queen-Soul Food, Inexpensive
9031 South Stony Island Avenue
Chicago
(773) 731-3366

Szalas Restaurant-Polish, Moderate
5214 South Archer Avenue
Chicago
(773) 582-0300

Zaiqa Restaurant-Southeast Asian, Indian, Inexpensive
858 North Orleans Street
Chicago
(312) 280-6807

My thought is to pick a date, sometime in the spring, specifically after Daylight Savings Time has kicked in, and visit five or six of these places.  I’m posting this now so we will have plenty of time to discuss, debate, and decide which of these 18 restaurants will make up the perfect foodie field trip into our fair city.  Bear in mind, based on our last experience touring Chicago, five to six stops is probably the maximum number we can realistically make based on time, energy, and full bellies.

I have listed addresses and telephone numbers so, as you consider where you’d like to visit, you can put together a reasonable geographic selection.  Even if you are not overly familiar with Chicago, certain similarities in addresses and location will pop out at you.

I have listed concise descriptions of the cuisine to be found at each of these places so we can put together a good mix with no duplications (unless of course the group feels so strongly about two places that we absolutely must have the same kind of food twice).

At this point, I am not expressing my preferences (frankly I haven’t made up my mind yet either).  All of these places will have pluses and minuses in terms of location, being open on the day we decide to schedule this event, ability to service a large group of folks all at once, even the availability of indoor seating could effect the itinerary if we run into bad weather on that day.  I’m hoping to generate a lively discussion over the next few months as we hone the list down to the agreed upon essentials.

I had a fantastic time with all of you when we last met up in November.  I hope everyone felt the same way and that you’ll give serious consideration to the proposed list above.  I know some of you will print out the list and bring it with for discussion when we see each other at Polonez on Sunday, Janauary 25th.  It should be a good time.

See you all soon,

Buddy

265 Replies Related Threads

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2613
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/18 15:45:37 (permalink)
    Fantastic Buddy!  I'll let my Chicago-area Roadfood friends make the choices.

We are in ... as long as you wait for temperatures to get well above freezing.

Jim
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/18 16:28:00 (permalink)
    Jim, don't be shy on expressing your thoughts.  I've only been to a handful of these places, so your opinion as to where we go is just as valid as mine or anyone else's down here.  If nothing else, you can look at the various cuisines and weigh in on the mix of what we pick.

As for the temps, have no fear, I am in no mood to be traipsing around our well below freezing, snow glutted city right now.  Daylight Savings Time starts on March 8th this year and I'd be looking at a date more towards April.

Buddy
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3147
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/18 17:04:32 (permalink)
    Spring seems a long way off but we are interested Monsieur Boudreaux.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/18 17:12:43 (permalink)
    Spring is a long way off, but there are many decisions to be made between now and then.  Eighteen restaurants on the list need to be whittled down to no more than six final choices.  If you examine the list carefully, a number of different potential themes will emerge.  Keeping mum for now until I see where the rest of the gang is headed.

Plus, we might need the entire next three months just to agree on a date that works for everyone.

Give it some thought, post some ideas, we'll talk more at Polonez...

Buddy
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2920
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/18 17:33:21 (permalink)
    Buddy -

Great compilation...really looks like some strong choices!  I'll start my homework early...but in the spirit of Chicago, I'm voting often!

Gotta have Ed's!!!!
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/18 20:21:25 (permalink)
    Buddy, this sounds like a great idea. I've only been to two of the places ( Donald's Hot Dogs and Lindy's Chili ), but they're both very good. Until my recent retirement, Lindy's was a regular lunch-stop of mine; very tasty chili, especially good when doctored up with Lindy's own hot sauce. You can get it with beans or ( my preference ) without - either way, it's good stuff. Donald's has better-than-average dogs and italian beefs ( unfortunately, Chicago has LOTS of really bad beef sandwiches. ) As long as this outing doesn't fall during the last week of April, you can count me in.
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/18 21:04:44 (permalink)
    My gastronomically adventurous friend Diane & I are in.

Diane says she would rather stick to the same parts of town than to have to zip back & forth all over Chicagoland & I tend to agree. She says "There doesn't have to be a theme, since there already is a theme: good food! That's all we need!".  :)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/18 22:28:34 (permalink)
    I appreciate the enthusiasm on everybody's part, but I really hope you'll all look at the list and express some preferences.  Certainly I could pick the entire itinerary, but then this would be a very dull thread until sometime in April.

As for staying in one part of town, that in itself could be one direction we go with this tour.  Or, we could handle it the way we did in October, starting in the furthest south location and working our way north for the cheeseheads who needed to hit the road at the end of the day.

C'mon folks, something on that list must have caught your eye and made you say, "I gotta have that!"  Like I said, most of these places are just as new to me as they are to you.  Let's figure this out together and create the ultimate Chicago Roadfood Eating Tour!

Buddy
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/18 22:42:11 (permalink)
    Okay Buddy,

How do these work as an itinerary?  
    Army & Lou’s-Soul Food, Inexpensive
    422 East 75th Street

Borinquen Restaurant-Puerto Rican, Jibarito Sandwiches, Inexpensive
    1720 North California Avenue

Burt’s Place-Pizza in the Pan, Inexpensive
    8541 Ferris Avenue

Dodo-Urban Diner, Featuring Breakfast, Moderate
    935 Damen Avenue

Hot Doug’s-Hot Dogs and Specialty Encased Meats, Inexpensive
    3324 North California Avenue

Lem’s Bar-B-Q-Barbecue, Inexpensive
    311 East 75th Street

Zaiqa Restaurant-Southeast Asian, Indian, Inexpensive
    858 North Orleans Street
    Can we get there from here?

Jim

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/18 22:55:43 (permalink)
    We can.  I'll need to investigate which of these places are closed on what days.  For instance, Sundays are the best day for me to do this.  However, I know for certain that Hot Doug's is closed on Sunday.  If the group insists on a Saturday, I suppose I could make the necessary arrangements.

Also, not to be picky, but you should probably limit your list to six selections.  I don't think we can get to any more places that that in a single day.  Maybe six primary choices with a seventh for back up.

Jim, I like your list.  Anything in particular that made you choose those places?

Sorry you're missing Polonez.

Buddy
    stricken_detective
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/18 22:56:56 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

I appreciate the enthusiasm on everybody's part, but I really hope you'll all look at the list and express some preferences.  Certainly I could pick the entire itinerary, but then this would be a very dull thread until sometime in April.

As for staying in one part of town, that in itself could be one direction we go with this tour.  Or, we could handle it the way we did in October, starting in the furthest south location and working our way north for the cheeseheads who needed to hit the road at the end of the day.

C'mon folks, something on that list must have caught your eye and made you say, "I gotta have that!"  Like I said, most of these places are just as new to me as they are to you.  Let's figure this out together and create the ultimate Chicago Roadfood Eating Tour!

Buddy

Ok, well if we are going down that road, Hot Dougs is non-negotiable. Sorry, you can't change my mind on that. Duck Fat Fries? Oh yes. :)

As I was reading the list to her Diane pointed out there is a place on 84th & Wisconsin that has A-May-Zing cheesecakes. It's a bakery.

I would like to try elotes. The corn with the parmesan cheese & butter & lime.

stricken_detective
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/18 23:00:03 (permalink)
    Just saw your note about Saturdays, let me look up some menus then & get back to you on cuisine. :)
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/18 23:03:25 (permalink)
    I'm savin my change Buddy. But I have some sick family members. If they are not well... I can't go. I prey they will be well by spring. Not just cause I would love to go w/ you guys. I want them to be well.
    Joe
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/18 23:10:49 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Jim, I like your list.  Anything in particular that made you choose those places?

Sorry you're missing Polonez.

Buddy

BR - I first eliminated cuisines that we had on the November tour - Chinese and Mexican gone.

Then I looked for addresses that seemed like they might be close together - that pared down the Hot Dog, Soul Food and Barbecue places.

What was left was my list.  I don't know a thing about any of the places I picked.

You may still see us next Sunday.

Jim

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/19 00:20:57 (permalink)
    PapaJoe8I'm savin my change Buddy. But I have some sick family members. If they are not well... I can't go. I prey they will be well by spring. Not just cause I would love to go w/ you guys. I want them to be well.
    Joe
    Joe, I'm hopin' and prayin' for you on all counts.  We'd love to have you, but family and health come first.

Hope you'll make it,

Buddy

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/19 00:32:04 (permalink)
    stricken detective, I'm not sayin' I won't make myself available on Saturday, I'm just sayin' I'd prefer not to have to do that.  On the other hand, I understand the allure of Hot Doug's and his duck fat fries.  On yet another hand we would need to be prepared to stand in line for a very long time waiting to get up to the counter to place our orders.  But, it might be worth it, so I'm not counting it out yet.  Especially if enough people make that one of their choices.

Jim, I guess it's just coincidence, but with the exception of Army & Lou's and Lem's, all of your picks are on the north side.  Cubs fan, eh?

Hope you can arrange your schedule so you can join the fun at Polonez,

Buddy
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/19 01:14:58 (permalink)
    Duck fat fries?? That sounds...different. Could someone elaborate on this for me?
    stricken_detective
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/19 02:25:12 (permalink)
    On Fridays & Saturdays Doug fries his French fries in rendered duck fat. An hour in line is too long, 45 min may be too long as well. We'll have to see what the other options are & weigh them & see which wins the popular vote.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/19 07:52:16 (permalink)
    One Saturday, not to long ago...Biker Jim road into town and we met at Hot Doug's at 10am for the 10:30am opening.  We were first in line.  Could be a central starting spot, a little closer for all our friends from the north. 

Buddy - to help with the Saturday thing...what if we meet Saturday and have a sleep over at Burt's...you'll still make your shift and we can add a stop or two on Sunday morning!

Gotta have Ed's....votin' often on this one!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/19 13:59:30 (permalink)
    CTD, if we end up doing a Saturday to accommodate the Hot Doug's lovers, a 10:00am start time sounds like the best option.  I hear you on Ed's.  I mean c'mon, how can you resist a place called Ed's Potsticker House?

As for a sleepover at Burt's, it's been a loooooong time since that carpet has been shampooed.  You'd have to sleep curled up in the booths and on the table tops.  Might not be the most comfortable situation for a big guy like you.

Seriously, if there's enough of a desire among the other participants for a Saturday meet up, I'll take the night off.  The other side of the issue is, if Burt's is one of our picks, depending on the size of the group, they might not be able to handle us on a Saturday night.

nocarolina
    , just to elaborate on Hot Doug's duck fat fries; by cooking them in rendered duck fat you get a remarkably superior end product both in terms of crispness and flavor.

Keep up the discussion,

Buddy
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/19 15:52:31 (permalink)
    Ah...the thought of Burt tucking us in while visions of sugar plums dance through our heads! 
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/19 17:37:27 (permalink)
    Scary, huh?

Buddy
    stricken_detective
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/19 20:32:04 (permalink)
    Can I be a Hot Doug's Lover if I've never eaten there? Also, I agree, anyplace that is named Ed's Potstickers deserves a try.

Personally, if it swam, I want to eat it, so that is influencing my choices. Here is some info from my internet research:

Army & Lou's--they have breakfast!!! Also, they only have blackberry cobbler on Sundays. I loves me some blackberries....

Calumet Fisheries--smoked shrimp? Yes, yes, y'all!!! No place to sit, ie tables or anything, but I am not above putting the smoked shrimp, salmon & chubs on the trunk of Buddy's car & chowing down.

Hecky's has Green River soda. :D

Zaiqa is a yes for me. One of my friends I've known forever is Pakistani. Naan & Tandori & Pakora & Samosas, Oh My!

Donald's has gyros!!! :D :D :D

I like the 'Que that JRPfeff makes with Buddy's sauce, so to me going to a 'Que place is meh. Speaking of which, Buddy, they have your sauce @ Sentry Meadowbrook here in Waukesha. Time to make some beef ribs again!!

These are my choices for now, but of course majority rules. This will be fun!
    post edited by stricken_detective - 2009/01/19 20:33:44
    irisarbor
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 609
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/26 10:16:20 (permalink)
    I'm embarrased to admit I've never had Hot DOugs and I'd love to try them.

Also Never had Ed's and would to try those as well-

And having missed Jibaritos on the last Chicago fling- that would be on my short list too-

Other than that- I'm pretty flexible-
    I'd probably skip Hecky's- not because they aren't great-
    I love them, but because I have them every month on Monday when I get my allergy shot in evanston LOL...
    so it's just not a novelty for me....

but as I said- I'm flexible

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10225
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/26 10:39:16 (permalink)
    If an out-of-towner can vote, I have strong interest in Army & Lou's and Hot Doug's.  But knowing the quality of Roadfood in Chicago, these are probably all winners.  I am keeping an eye on this thread, hoping to be able to join you.  Once a date is picked, I will know for sure.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/26 14:32:35 (permalink)
    bb, anyone who will be joining the group (or just thinks they might be joining the group) are welcome to comment and vote.  I sincerely hope you do get the opportunity to meet us.  It would be a real treat to show you around our home turf.

I'll try to post some links to the listed restaurants, both websites and discussion forums (lthforum, yelp, etc.)  where the individual establishments are reviewed by local diners.  This way we can all do some research on these places and make some informed decisions instead of trying to judge a book by its cover.

As for a date, don't wait for others to decide for you.  If you've got some specific dates that will allow you to join us, propose them now and see if they work for the rest of the folks.

Buddy
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2009/01/26 14:37:17
    stricken_detective
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/26 15:30:28 (permalink)
    A funny moment from our brunch yesterday, by stricken_detective

Diane: Soul Queen is closed.

Gyp: But they reopened, right?

Diane: No, the health department permanently shut them down.

Gyp: Oh then you know the food was good.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/26 15:54:31 (permalink)
    Buddy, as you suggested, here are the weekends in April that I won't be able to participate in the Spring Fling: the first one and the last one ( simple, huh? ) I'll be down in NOLA the first weekend, and the last one will find me down in the Tarheel State, stuffing myself with country ham, barbeque, and pork chop sandwiches from Snappy Lunch. Any other time of the month, I'll just be hangin' around, taking up space. 
    irisarbor
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 609
    Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/01/27 09:45:03 (permalink)
    Saturday April 18th is now out for me- we better pick a date!
    Weekend of May 2 is OUT for me- it's college pick-up weekend for DDaughter...
    I also have another committment the weekend of May 9th.
    ..and if we spill into June the weekend of June 12th is also OUT.

(edited to reflect an updated schedule)
    post edited by irisarbor - 2009/02/17 17:49:41
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1