The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Yoder's, Sarasota, FL

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
Yoder's, Sarasota, FL Fri, 02/6/09 1:51 AM (permalink)
Well, I was waiting for my friend JohnA to help me put some pictures up on the recent trip I took to Lakeland and Sarasota.  But, that may take some time so I just wanted to comment on this place before I forget.  

Yoder's has been an institution in Sarasota for many years.  It is located in the Amish area.  My friend, who lives in Sarasota just blocks away, said they do not have horses and carriages.  But, bikes are their main means of transportation. 

Anyway, I wanted to try this place; they have a take-out window.  On Saturday, about 4:00, there was a line out the door.  I checked out the menu.  Each day, they have a special.  They also have a pretty extensive menu of what I'd liken to good diner menu items.  Nothing fancy, but apparently very good food judging by the line I saw and the length of time they have been in business.  They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The walk-up window was manned by several young ladies wearing their traditional headwear.  They were very friendly and our order took only a matter of minutes.  My friend said that last Thanksgiving they sold 4000 pies.  He said it twice.

They are famous for their pies and that's what we were there for..To take out a few slices of pie.  They had a pretty good variety of fruit and cream pies.  We chose coconut cream and chocolate pecan pie.  Both slices were very big and each was just under $5.00.  Four of us devoured the pie in a matter of minutes.

Both pies were terrific.  The chocolate pecan pie had a wonderful crust.  The mixture of pecans and chocolate was so thick and gooey.  It reminded me of those rice krispy marshmellow treats.  You know how you mix the liquid ingredients like Karo syrup and beaten eggs to get a mixture to pour into the pie shell.  Well, there was hardly a trace of that mixture in this pie.  It was just loaded with pecans and chocolate chips.

The coconut cream pie was equally as good; it had legitimate whipped cream on top.  The coconut cream was loaded with coconut and it, too, had that wonderful flaky crust.  The cream was so rich....

It was some of the very best pie I have ever had.  It would be tough to choose between the pies I had up near Gainesville that I just reported on and these pies. 

<message edited by Baah Ben on Fri, 02/6/09 1:53 AM>

MiamiDon

Re:Yoder's, Sarasota, FL Fri, 02/6/09 4:38 AM (permalink)
    Here's the web site: http://www.yodersrestaurant.com/

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
      Re:Yoder's, Sarasota, FL Fri, 02/6/09 6:20 AM (permalink)
      I could go for a piece of that chocolate pecan pie right now for breakfast!!

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1935
        Re:Yoder's, Sarasota, FL Fri, 02/6/09 7:02 AM (permalink)
        ellen4641

I could go for a piece of that chocolate pecan pie right now for breakfast!!

For breakfast?????  ;- )

jman

• Total Posts: 1277
          Re:Yoder's, Sarasota, FL Fri, 02/6/09 7:47 AM (permalink)
          Baah Ben

Yoder's has been an institution in Sarasota for many years.  It is located in the Amish area.  My friend, who lives in Sarasota just blocks away, said they do not have horses and carriages.  But, bikes are their main means of transportation. 

That's because they are Mennonite and not Amish.  They are probably either "shiny-bumper" or "black-bumper" Mennonites.  Bicycles are a vehicle of choice for most of the Mennonites, including the "horse and buggy" Mennonites.  The Old Order and New Order Amish use bicycles a lot too.

douginvirginia

• Total Posts: 462
            Re:Yoder's, Sarasota, FL Fri, 02/6/09 7:55 AM (permalink)
            "Four of us devoured the pie in a matter of minutes. "

BB, ROFLMAO - did the pies make it home or were you still in the parking lot?

My wife's mother lived in Sarasota and we have many fond memories from our visits. I love Yoders.

MiamiDon

Re:Yoder's, Sarasota, FL Fri, 02/6/09 9:46 AM (permalink)
              jman

Baah Ben

That's because they are Mennonite and not Amish.  They are probably either "shiny-bumper" or "black-bumper" Mennonites.  Bicycles are a vehicle of choice for most of the Mennonites, including the "horse and buggy" Mennonites.  The Old Order and New Order Amish use bicycles a lot too.

But, the website says Yoder's Amish Restaurant.   Are they fibbing?  Or is it an Amish restaurant run by non-Amish?  Sort of like a Sushi joint run by Koreans?

jman

Re:Yoder's, Sarasota, FL Fri, 02/6/09 10:00 AM (permalink)
                MiamiDon

But, the website says Yoder's Amish Restaurant.   Are they fibbing?  Or is it an Amish restaurant run by non-Amish?  Sort of like a Sushi joint run by Koreans?

Rarely will you ever see a true Amishman use Amish in the name of their business.  They pretty much frown on the practice of using their religion as part of a business promotion. 

Most of us English don't know the difference between the two and you'll find the word "Amish-style" or even Amish to let us know what their business is all about.

Just like those heaters you see advertised, I'd be willing to bet that the "Amish craftsmen" seen in the ads, are not what they are presented as, just as I'd be willing to bet that the Amish aren't even involved in making the mantles.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1500
                  Re:Yoder's, Sarasota, FL Fri, 02/6/09 10:18 AM (permalink)
                  "Amish", like "PA-Dutch", has come to symbolize a type of cooking, not the religious or ethnic background of the cooker(cookor?), when used in that context.  It is perfectly permissible to use it in that form, same as Italian Pizza may be made in a place run by Greeks, or Ipswich Clams are actually ones that came from Maryland.

Oh, and while Massachusetts, my home state of years ago, may be known as the politicians porkbarrel, I don't think too many Boston Butts have grown up anywhere near the Paul Revere statue.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                    Re:Yoder's, Sarasota, FL Fri, 02/6/09 10:55 AM (permalink)
                    Boy, this is interesting stuff.  Jman - Thanks.  My friend has no idea about any of this..Only they make great pies!  All I knew was what I saw in "Witness"  I have seen that movie at least 20 times.

MD - You continue to bail me out with your help and I sincerely appreciate it..So do others.  Thanks for posting the website for Yoder's.  You would absolutely love this place.  Too bad it is such a long ride.

Mello - Pie in the morning is great!  So is cold pizza!

Doug - we actually waited until we got back to my friends house to eat it! 

For dinner that night, we made linguini and clam sauce for 8 people..It really came out great.  Then we had a Sam's Club apple pie.  It was pretty good.  An huge pie for $5.  But, it wasn't a Yoder's pie...

I hope many of you can get to Yoder's one day..The one disappointing thing I noticed on their extensive menu was the lack of a pork chop entree.  In a way, I was actually glad because I would have really wanted to try a pork chop dinner there.

I do not think there is a restriction on swine in their diet because they had ham on the menu.  Lots of interesting side dishes when you go on the site that MD was nice enough to put up.
                    <message edited by Baah Ben on Sat, 02/7/09 10:04 PM>

jman

Re:Yoder's, Sarasota, FL Fri, 02/6/09 11:45 AM (permalink)
                      Baah Ben

Boy, this is interesting stuff.  Jman - Thanks.  My friend has no idea about any of this..Only they make great pies!  All I knew was what I way in "Witness"  I have seen that movie at least 20 times.

When my sons were young teenagers, I used to take them with me when I visited some of my Amish and Mennonite customers.  I wanted them to see first hand the difference between wanting something and needing something.

Whether they're shiny-bumper, black-bumper, or progressive Mennonites, or Old Order or New Order Amish, Bretheren, or Hutterites, they are a fascinating people.  By and large, they are hardworking and if they tell you something, you can bank on it.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                        Re:Yoder's, Sarasota, FL Tue, 07/21/09 7:31 PM (permalink)
                        jman

Baah Ben

The Mennonites here in Brown County Ohio own and operate cars and trucks.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com