Yoder's, Sarasota, FL

Author
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
2009/02/06 01:51:43 (permalink)

Yoder's, Sarasota, FL

Well, I was waiting for my friend JohnA to help me put some pictures up on the recent trip I took to Lakeland and Sarasota.  But, that may take some time so I just wanted to comment on this place before I forget.  

Yoder's has been an institution in Sarasota for many years.  It is located in the Amish area.  My friend, who lives in Sarasota just blocks away, said they do not have horses and carriages.  But, bikes are their main means of transportation. 

Anyway, I wanted to try this place; they have a take-out window.  On Saturday, about 4:00, there was a line out the door.  I checked out the menu.  Each day, they have a special.  They also have a pretty extensive menu of what I'd liken to good diner menu items.  Nothing fancy, but apparently very good food judging by the line I saw and the length of time they have been in business.  They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The walk-up window was manned by several young ladies wearing their traditional headwear.  They were very friendly and our order took only a matter of minutes.  My friend said that last Thanksgiving they sold 4000 pies.  He said it twice.

They are famous for their pies and that's what we were there for..To take out a few slices of pie.  They had a pretty good variety of fruit and cream pies.  We chose coconut cream and chocolate pecan pie.  Both slices were very big and each was just under $5.00.  Four of us devoured the pie in a matter of minutes.

Both pies were terrific.  The chocolate pecan pie had a wonderful crust.  The mixture of pecans and chocolate was so thick and gooey.  It reminded me of those rice krispy marshmellow treats.  You know how you mix the liquid ingredients like Karo syrup and beaten eggs to get a mixture to pour into the pie shell.  Well, there was hardly a trace of that mixture in this pie.  It was just loaded with pecans and chocolate chips.

The coconut cream pie was equally as good; it had legitimate whipped cream on top.  The coconut cream was loaded with coconut and it, too, had that wonderful flaky crust.  The cream was so rich....

It was some of the very best pie I have ever had.  It would be tough to choose between the pies I had up near Gainesville that I just reported on and these pies. 

post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/02/06 01:53:25

11 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1