Wine Sales in Grocery Stores

Author
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1449
2009/02/10 09:23:47 (permalink)

Wine Sales in Grocery Stores

This has become a hot topic in New York State. Currently grocery stores can only sell beer, malt derived drinks and wine coolers. There has been a push spearheaded by the Wegmans company and the NY State Wineries to change the law to allow wine sales in grocery stores. Reasoning being it will expand the NY wine market and provide more jobs.

I for one am against this because it will negatively affect wine and liquor stores in the area. We have the benefit of several shops that actually are knowledgable about wines and can speak intelligently about wine types and food pairing...you're not going to get that from a teenager in a grocery store...(the same people who can't tell cilantro from parsley, or identify fresh spinach).

I'm not sure how many jobs this will create for the wineries if the people responsible for selling your product don't know all that much about it. I could see the bulk sellers of the sweeter wines doing well (Its amazing to see how much Red Cat Hazlittt Wineries sells...to each their own I guess)..

Any winos out there in states where this is common practice have any comments on you experiences? Do wine shops still exist in your state? Do grocery stores do a good job selling wine?
post edited by Cosmos - 2009/02/10 09:24:51

46 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1