Beefy King, Orlando, FL

Author
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
2009/02/14 06:52:29 (permalink)

Beefy King, Orlando, FL

This place is an insititution in Orlando.  I got there at 11:00 AM and there were plenty of people already eating their roast beef sandwiches.  I got there passing through a Thai shopping district..Several Thai restaurants.  I mention this in passing because if I am ever back this way, I'll go for Thai.

Beefy King for me was terrific.  No, not for the roast beef that it serves, but for the interesting way that they do it.  When I arrived, I saw two huge Berkel (top shelf slicers) automatic slicers and I noticed a see-through glass tower that was an extension to a platform scale.  The operator could quickly read the weight of the sliced product being placed on the platform by looking at this almost eye level tower.  Very neat! 

Each sandwich portion of meat is weighed..Kudos to their management, but I hate that as a customer!  They offer three sizes starting at $3.  I got the $4 size because I knew RibDog was bringing Cuban sandwiches from Tampa.  Thanks again for the sandwich RB.  I brought the two BBQ mavens Beefy King sandwiches.  I never asked how they liked them..It's such a mundane sandwich.

Each time an order was placed, I observed the operator turning on the slicer and cutting from a very large, medium rare, roast beef.  I'm guessing it was a bottom round.  It looked beautiful.  Anyway, he proceeded to take this sliced meat and put it down a few inches from the slicer..on his left.  Why put the meat on the stainless steel table?  I said to myself what the heck is this guy doing?  Then he placed a cover over the meat.

(Now that I have put the pictures up (FINALLY!), let me say if you look closely at the picture with the operator, you can see the rare roast beef sitting in the slicer.  You can also see how large this slicer is..This is an institutional sized slicer..Never see one of these in a normal sized deli.  They use these for high volume slicing operations.  You can also see that tower that indicates the portion weight.  The only thing that you can't see is the cover that he places over each serving of roast beef, but I think you can see that little raised square.)

What I should have done is pull an Ellen and ask the guy, if I could go behind the counter and take closer photos of this very interesting process.  But, alas, my pair is a lot smaller than her's.

This has been a family business since the 1950's..They have a website..Don, if you don't mind..I am just learning to do these pictures! 

Notice the little raised stainless steel plate, built into that table, that houses a steamer operating underneath that table.  Each portion of rare roast beef is reheated with a burst of steam coming up from under that table.  

I'd  have preferred just the cold, rare roast beef.

They have several condiments such as bbq sauce and horseradish sauce out in the dining room.. They serve those potato buds, soda, etc.  It is a much better product than Arby's and if you want a basic roast beef sandwich, I guess it's fine.

post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/02/14 07:23:29

27 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1