Christmas Cookies

Author
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
2003/11/26 19:10:05 (permalink)

Christmas Cookies

I know it's a bit early in that Thanksgiving's tomorrow, but I'm baking some cookies tonight to take with me, and thought I'd post the recipe while I had it out.

This comes from a venerable old cookbook my mother had while I was growing up. When she purged her cookbook shelf last year, I inherited it. It's the 1966 Better Homes and Gardens book, Cookies and Candies by Meredith Press.

Jam Thumbprints

Cream together 2/3 cup butter or margarine and 1/3 cup granulated sugar until fluffy. Add 2 egg yolks, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; beat well. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour, mixing well.

Shape dough in 3/4" balls; dip in 2 slightly beaten egg whites, then roll in 3/4 cup finely chopped California walnuts. Place 1" apart on greased cookie sheet. Press down center of each with thumb.

Bake cookies in moderate oven (350 degrees) for 15 to 17 minutes or till done. Cool slightly; remove from sheet and cool on rack. Just before serving, use 1/3 cup cherry or strawberry preserves (but I use apricot, which is maaaaahvelous), or currant jelly to fill centers of cookies. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

My cookie-cutter cookie recipe also gets raves, and of course my four-year-old adores helping. We have cookie cutters for every season, so they're not just for Christmas. This recipe is from a Pennsylvania Dutch cookbook. It's really a recipe for sugar cookies, and apparently the Amish just press an almond in the middle and sprinkle them with sugar. I top them with frosting and/or Nutella and sprinkles. (Nutella makes a great chocolate-nutty frosting for Halloween bats and cats, by the way.)

White Christmas Cookies

2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
3 eggs beaten
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons of milk

Cream together butter and sugar. Add beaten eggs and blend thoroughly. Sift together flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir into creamed mixture. Moisten with milk. Chill dough overnight. Roll out to 1/4" thickness. Cut out with cookie cutters. If frosting, frost after the cookies cool. If only sprinkling, add sprinkles before baking. Bake 350 degrees until lightly browned.

This is our other favorite recipe. It's one of those that nobody knows its origin, but was handed down from party to party. They're basically chocolate chip cookie balls rolled in powdered sugar.

Yummies

Sift 2 cups flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Mix 3/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, and 1 egg.

Blend into flour mixture.

Add 1 cup shopped walnuts or pecans and 6 oz. chocolate chips

Shape into 1" balls and place close together on cookie sheet. Bake 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees. Roll in confectioner's sugar after cooling.

Anybody else have favorite cookie recipes?

Jennie

1 Reply Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1