The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Walters re visit

richardao1

• Total Posts: 12
Walters re visit Thu, 02/19/09 9:32 AM (permalink)
A while ago I had made several enemies by putting a post saying that Walters Hot Dog Stand was terrible.  Well I just went back in all fairness to try it once again.  Based on the fact that after 3 singles with mustard I would have to say I retract my earlier opinion and agree that this place does have a certain charm and taste to it.   I do give it a well deserved thumbs up and humbly say sorry.

The only thing I don't remember is I thought they had coals they cooked over but I all I saw was a grill with no coals around.  Does anyone know if they have changed the cooking fixtures or maybe I am confusing this place with another place.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
    Re:Walters re visit Thu, 02/19/09 3:56 PM (permalink)
    I was to Walter's once about 6 or 7 years ago. The dogs were prepared on a griddle that is sprayed with some mystery substance (Pam?). I believe the dogs are still prepared the same way. Walter's has quite a reputation, but in my opinion is overrated.

The dogs are made by Boars Head, but are a mix of beef, pork, and veal. Very mild, bordering on bland. The dogs are small, and from what I remember skinless. They are split open and grilled on both sides. Left on the griddle for a sufficient time and prepared fairly well, but the dogs are too mild. They have a unique mustard that you buy from them. It has tiny pieces of relish in it. Pretty good. The dogs aren't bad, but not worth going out of your way for.

MiamiDon

Re:Walters re visit Thu, 02/19/09 4:14 PM (permalink)
      Walter's in Mamaroneck?

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
        Re:Walters re visit Fri, 02/20/09 5:50 AM (permalink)
        Yes.

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
          Re:Walters re visit Fri, 02/20/09 8:16 AM (permalink)
          I was born & lived most of my life in Westchester County, where Walter's is located. Somewhere in the early '80s, a group of us visited the place. The pagoda & the relish are interesting, but I have to agree with John Fox about the dog itself. I also found it bland & underseasoned. Bottom line...I lived in Westchester another 20+ years and never felt the urge to return.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com