The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best North Carolina BBQ

PorkyLeSwine

• Total Posts: 6
Best North Carolina BBQ Thu, 02/26/09 7:48 PM (permalink)
Check out bbqjew.com, a website dedicated to North Carolina barbecue, if you want to see restaurant reviews and other info on NC BBQ served with a side of (attempted) humor.

Thanks all,

Porky
<message edited by Tony Bad on Thu, 02/26/09 8:03 PM>

'QueperMan

• Total Posts: 45
    Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Sat, 02/28/09 11:01 AM (permalink)
    I like the site man, look forward to seeing where else you're headed.  How about some pics though?

LindaW

• Total Posts: 338
      Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Sat, 02/28/09 1:28 PM (permalink)
      as a former LI (downstate) and now upstate (Albany, NY area) jew....I LOVE LOVE LOVE your site...and everything is spot on...per my non-jewish NC born and bred husband. This site is fabulous.

PorkyLeSwine

• Total Posts: 6
        Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Sat, 02/28/09 1:52 PM (permalink)
        Thanks Que and Linda, I appreciate that. And as for adding pictures, we plan too.  I just need to work up the nerve to bring a digital camera to the table at a BBQ joint, which seems a bit like using a cell phone in church...

Tony Bad

Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Sat, 02/28/09 2:08 PM (permalink)
          PorkyLeSwine

Thanks Que and Linda, I appreciate that. And as for adding pictures, we plan too.  I just need to work up the nerve to bring a digital camera to the table at a BBQ joint, which seems a bit like using a cell phone in church...

I too love the web site. You need to get over that fear of taking pictures though, as I'd love to see some! Hope you keep us posted on your adventures. 

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
            Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Sun, 03/1/09 5:27 PM (permalink)
            PorkyLeSwine

As the owner of a BBQ, I can tell you you can bring "60 Minutes" to my place, the more face time out there the better. Now if I served tourist food I might get hinky, but I know you wouldn't be interested in taking pictures of tourist junk!

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3667
              Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Sun, 03/1/09 7:34 PM (permalink)
              Chewingthefat  should be proud of his restaurant and the food that he serves.  Everything that our family has eaten there has been stellar.  I would also add that his  servers are really terrific.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Sat, 03/14/09 1:10 PM (permalink)
                 I just visited a great downhome BBQ joint, there's not much else to this town of Goldston, NC, just northwest of Sanford off of US 421.  Fantastic little joint called Rufus' Restaurant.  Slogan is "Best BBQ for Miles".  true.

Chiliman

• Total Posts: 197
                  Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Sat, 03/14/09 3:39 PM (permalink)
                  Hey Q-Jew are you planning on getting to Blues, Brews and BBQ in Charlotte this year?  Matt and I would love to stick some pork in your maw and have you write pretty words even though we don't have a restaurant.  I think we have decided to go pro (big money and a trip to Memphis) Let me know.  Also drop a line if you are gonna be in Charlotte during a work week and I will make sure to have some at the cart!

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                    Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Mon, 03/16/09 1:47 PM (permalink)
                    As I just mentioned on another thread, the best NC barbeque that I've ever had came from a now-defunct place in Virginia ( ?!? ) called Wallace Bros BBQ. It was only about 2 or 3 miles from the NC state line ( near Mount Airy ), and the Q and sides ( especially the hush puppies ) were fantastic; even better than the famed Lexington #1. I still don't know why it closed; the place was always packed. My current fav is called Butch's, and it's on US 70 in Hickory NC. It looks like a typical modern FF place, but the food is something else ( great sweet tea too. )        Update 10/7/09: Butch's has closed their Hickory location and moved to Morganton NC, just off of I-40.  The food, while still pretty good, is not quite what it used to be in Hickory. 
                    <message edited by nocarolina on Wed, 10/7/09 8:34 AM>

Eatmywords

• Total Posts: 3
                      Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Tue, 06/9/09 2:50 PM (permalink)
                      Hi everyone, a family member has recently moved to Lenoir, NC (a few miles north of Hickory).   With the many options, I was hoping to target some of the best bbq spots within an hour’s drive.   I read a couple recs for Shell’s, Mountain View and Butch’s in Hickory.  Any opinions on those?  Are there any others we need to visit in the area?    Also, does anyone have an opinion on the listings on the Historic NC Barbecue Society Map?  Are these more or less the best in the state?  http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_map.html

Thanks for any and all recs

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                        Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Tue, 06/9/09 3:24 PM (permalink)
                        I was at a wedding rehearsal dinner where Hills out of Wiston-Salem catered it.Now I am no expert on N.C.barbeque, but enjoyed the meal immensely.Very good Lexington pulled bbq sandwiches, slaw and hush puppies. They also provided peach cobbler, and banana puddding-although I am sure the banana puding is not as good as Wendy, Dennis in Cary's wife!!

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                          Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Tue, 06/9/09 7:29 PM (permalink)
                          Eatmywords, I've eaten at Butch's and I loved it! Everything that I had there was great; the 'que, barbeque slaw, hushpuppies, even the sweet tea... everything was, IMHO, on a par with Lexington #1. Highly recommended.
                          <message edited by nocarolina on Tue, 06/9/09 7:33 PM>

Wytewyz

• Total Posts: 12
                            Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Tue, 06/9/09 10:28 PM (permalink)
                            I'm putting my vote in for Wilber's in Goldsboro, NC. Great que and friendly folks on both sides of the counter.  It's about 45 mins off I95 but worth the trip.
                            I always buy some sauce to bring back to NJ for my home smoked que. It makes it even better that way. 

Eatmywords

Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Wed, 06/10/09 9:19 AM (permalink)
                              Thank you all for your input.  I don't know when I'll get the chance to head as far east for Wilber's but I'll certainly keep them in mind when I do. Hill's is not too far and might be good choice while driving down or on the way back up north.  Butch's will be a definite since it is so close to Lenoir (my dad's new home).  

Btw, is anyone else going to the Blue Ridge Bbq Festival in Tryon this weekend?  We plan to go Friday (our first time).   Any advice/pitmasters we must sample from?

Again, thank you all!

Cajun man

• Total Posts: 85
                                Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Thu, 06/11/09 8:40 AM (permalink)
                                Hey guys great thread...do allow me to say that I recently attended the 4th Annual 'Carolina Pig Jig BBQ Cook-Off.  This is an all Masonic (closed) competition.  They had like over 20+ teams and was held at the Fairgrounds in Raleigh and was held in conjunction with the NC Ag Festival.  WOW - talk about some "Slap ya momma" BBQ!  Keep a look out for it next year - as I would not be shocked to see it double in size.....

jimcfs1

• Total Posts: 71
                                  Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Sun, 06/14/09 7:53 PM (permalink)
                                  I'm very familiar with two NC places, both I highly recommend... Carter Brothers BBQ in High Point and Carolina Barbeque in Statesville (where I ate on the way back from SC last night).  I've eaten at both places several times and have always been very satisfied.  Both do chopped pork not too smoky.  Their sauces tend to be vinegar based. 

The atmosphere at Carolina BBQ is very down home, roadfoodish.  I took a son of a colleague there last night on the way back from a conference in SC, and he was very impressed.

I'm supposed to meet some friends who are BBQ lovers at a new place west of Lake Norman this coming weekend, but I may have to back out.  Anyone hear of Boss Hog BBQ in Sherrils Ford, NC??

BillyCheesesteak

• Total Posts: 15
                                    Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Sun, 06/14/09 8:18 PM (permalink)
                                    I'm far from being an expert on Eastern Carolina BBQ, but I can tell you I love Parker's in Wilson, NC
                                    My wife and I travel to Myrtle Beach from Pennsylvania every October.  About 20 years ago we stopped at Parker's when I-95 still went up US 301 through Wilson.  Every year since then we exit off I95 and go into Wilson for our annual treat.  Mk wife is a semi-vegetarian and doesn't eat pork, so she gets the fried chicken and I "pig" out on the BBQ.  I absolutely love it.

Bill Steinsieck
                                    Hatfield, PA

Eatmywords

Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Mon, 06/15/09 12:33 PM (permalink)
                                      Well, we didn’t get a chance to get to Butch’s or Mountain View (discussed above) but did manage Shell’s in Hickory.  Overall as a dining experience Shell’s is a lot of fun for young and old.  The 50’s style diner with bright colors throughout makes for a very kid friendly and fun setting and can be nostalgic for adults and seniors.   Unfortunately, I wasn’t impressed with the bbq at all.   The medium chopped pork lacked flavor and texture and was overwhelmed by a think sauce of too much vinegar.   I thought my wife had it right when she said it tasted like canned tuna.   (Maybe we’re just not familiar with their style or we just didn’t get it).  And the whole pieces of pork were dry, under seasoned.  We shared the sampler and the fried fish and shrimps platter which was fine.  The hush puppies, potato salad, slaw and esp the fried okra, were very good.   Another place we tried mostly because it was convenient to our location, in Lenoir, was Hannah’s.  We read and heard mixed opinions so we weren’t sure what to expect.  It seems Hannah’s naysayers  don’t like it due to the little or no hickory/wood smoke in the cooking.  And the fans like it for that very reason.   I would agree that there was little smoke but all the meat was nicely seasoned and moist and had good flavors.  We shared the sampler which consisted of quarter chicken, whole pork and Texas style brisket (which we subbed for the chopped pork).   We liked the red sauce base and the only issue we had was that they poured way too much of it on the meat making it over sauced and tough to taste it by itself.  Their potato salad and baked beans and hush pups were very good as well.   I would return to Hannah’s as long as they put the put the sc on the side.  My wife btw said the chicken was perfect.  Crisp skin, super moist and excellent quality bird. 

The next day we went to the Blue Ridge Festival and sampled some the best pork, brisket and ribs we’ve ever had.  I’ll try to recap when I get the names of the pit masters straight.   I remember “Cool Smoke” did the brisket.  It was simply awesome.   The festival was wonderful and very well organized.  Tryon is a beautiful area and field they have it in is perfect for spreading out, letting the kids play and enjoying some amazing bbq.    Anyone who is into bbq should get to this festival if they haven’t already.       

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
                                        Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Mon, 06/15/09 1:18 PM (permalink)
                                        Well let me put in my 2 votes. For eastern style I pick Skylite Inn in Ayden, NC and for western style I pick Lexington #1.

Hey Porky, when are we gonna go eat some pig???

Dennis in Cary

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
                                          Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Wed, 06/17/09 5:06 PM (permalink)
                                          Thought y'all might be interested in this thread over at LTHForum.  The author did some extensive traveling through North Carolina and put together a well written comprehensive report including some tasty pix.

Have fun!

Buddy

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                                            Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Wed, 06/17/09 5:37 PM (permalink)
                                            Buddy, that's quite the thread. Enjoyed it. Three years ago I got to partake in a private whole hog BBQ at the Raccoon Holler Campground NC just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. The North Carolinans sprinkled vinegar on their pulled pork. No one used red BBQ sauce. I did as the North Carolinans.

douginvirginia

• Total Posts: 462
                                              Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Thu, 06/18/09 7:11 AM (permalink)
                                              Porky,

Very nice site, thanks for your work.

seafarer john

Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Thu, 06/18/09 3:48 PM (permalink)
                                                I was pleased to see that LTH liked Cooks in Lexington as much as we did. Not only is the BBQ very good but the hush puppies are outstanding.

However, on the whole, I think LTH is too hard on most of the places he visited. He seems to expect too much from joints that  are, after all, just BBQs - not fine dining places.

Cheers, John  

3fan4evr

• Total Posts: 61
                                                  Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Sun, 06/28/09 11:37 AM (permalink)
                                                  Want the best NC BBQ ? Visit here :

http://www.barbecuefestival.com/

Scott -- DFW

• Total Posts: 34

douginvirginia

• Total Posts: 462
                                                      Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Wed, 10/7/09 6:48 AM (permalink)
                                                      Scott,

Outstanding pics and reviews. While I don't agree with some of your "ratings", you've done a service to all with your efforts,

I happen to be making two trips to NC soon, and will be hitting my personal favorites - Lexington #1 this Friday, and Pete Jones' next week. I'm also really looking forward to trying Oakwood - it's in the Pete Jones style, plenty of chopped skin.

ayersian

Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Thu, 12/10/09 4:40 PM (permalink)
                                                        Eatmywords

Also, does anyone have an opinion on the listings on the Historic NC Barbecue Society Map?  Are these more or less the best in the state?  http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_map.html

Eatmywords, please excuse my tardiness, but I just read your post.  Amy & I were in NC over T-giving and took one full day to visit 7 of the 24 NC BBQ Trail restaurants (roughly, between Statesville and Lexington).  All were fabulous in their own way, similar but subtly different.  I have a 7-chapter RFDigest series in the works to exhibit our findings (coming soon!).  In the meantime, the NC BBQ Society was founded by lawyer/author/BBQ chef Jim Early, and I just bought his 2002 book, The Best Tarheel BBQ: Manteo to Murphy.  It's a wonderful encyclopedic look at 140 BBQ shacks around the state, many of which are featured stops on the BBQ Trail.  I hope to do an interview with Jim as part of a RFDigest story, but we'll see.

"More or less the best"?  In a word, YES!  But as you know, everyone has his own opinion on this site.  I grew up in the Carolinas and fortunately was exposed to great BBQ during my formative years.  The 7 places we visited were beyond fabulous, and now I'm going to obsess over the Trail (much to Amy's chagrin) and visit them all.  As for opinions, you'll have to try them for yourself and make the call.  The BBQ Trail is indeed a great roadmap for finding indie shacks with great food, great service, and great people to talk to about BBQ.  Thanks for asking!    Chris

Pocosin

• Total Posts: 19
                                                          Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Thu, 12/17/09 9:13 PM (permalink)
                                                          The NC BBQ Society trail is solid, but doesn't really blaze any new ground due to the requirement that the restaurants must have been in business for at least 15 years.

mikeam

• Total Posts: 192
                                                            • Location: Raleigh, NC
                                                            Re:Best North Carolina BBQ Thu, 12/17/09 9:56 PM (permalink)
                                                            Wilber is still the King.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com