The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

L.A to Phoenix to S.D.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Sun, 11/30/03 10:56 PM (permalink)
Sorry if this info is elsewhere...the SEARCH function isn't working. My boyfriend's band will be doing a mini-tour from Los Angeles to Phoenix then to San Diego, where I'll meet up with him. Any suggestions for Phoenix and for along the way?

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3572
    RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Mon, 12/1/03 1:19 PM (permalink)
    I had the best Chcken Fried Steak I've ever had at the TexAz Grill there. Very reasonable for both lunch and dineer and very yummy! The Chicken Fried chicken also got rave reviews from my daughter and the mashed potatoes were REAL!
    6003 N. 16th Street, Phoenix
    http://www.texazgrill.com

There is a little place inside one of the stores (I think it's Bischoff's Shades of the West) in Old Town Scottsdale-----a counter with a few tables. I believe it is across from the Mall, on Brown Street. When walking down Brown past it they have one of those little signs on the sidewalk announcing it. It has the best posole I've ever had! It's very authentic------even worth seeking out by CA people who know good Mexican food.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Mon, 12/1/03 1:26 PM (permalink)
      In old town Tempe there is a Mexican Restaurant called Macayo's Depot Cantina. They are located in converted train station. Macayo's is a local chain in the Phoenix area. Their Chimichanga's were really good.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
        RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Wed, 12/3/03 4:36 PM (permalink)
        Here's my Valley of the Sun rundown:
        Restuarant Mexico:http://www.getoutaz.com/dining/review17.shtml was my favorite in the Valley. Food from the Mexican interior. Green corn, white cheeses, great stuff and cheap.
        Lovejoys Kansas City BBQ-The real thing from real KC'ers. They import hickory for the RIGHT taste. Scrumptous peach cobbler. 19th Ave. by Greenway.
        Don & charlie's and the Pink Pony-Baseball hangouts in downtown scottsdale. Hit the happy hour free buffet at Don & charlie's. Tons of Cubs junk abounds. Pink Pony- the bar for players during spring training.
        Iowa Cafe- the place to get your pork tenderloin in the Valley.
        Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe-soul food in downtown Phoenix. For a place with few real southerners, this place is a gem by any standard, not just for Phoenix.
        Ted's Hot Dogs-A western NY stand with an outlet in Tempe! http://www.tedsonline.com/
        Los Dos Molinos- for a lot of people, the signature AzMex place, even though the owners call it New Mexico style. http://www.losdosmolinos.com/index2.html
        Carolina's http://www.carolinasmex.com also one of THE very best places to get true AzMex/Sonoran food. It's wonderful stuff, but not in an "upscale" part of town.
        Phoenix is a weird, synthetic version of a real American City. Wherever people move from, they attempt to recreate a copy in Phoenix. It makes for good eats, but a mutant population. Think: Alice Cooper, model citizen.Yikes! And Ed, that Knowing Mexican food comment would have the residents doubled over in laughter. California to Arizonans means the state where their summer resort, San Diego, is located. They figure you guys put sprouts on your burritos. The real food fight in AZ. is vs. the hated New Mexico mexican food advocates. They feel that's the only competition to AzMex food.
        All these dives are east of Central except for Lovejoy's, which is worth the drive up I-17. It's right off the freeway at greenway.
        Also-if your boyfriend/SO is an Frank Lloyd Wright fan, Taliesin West http://www.franklloydwright.org/index.cfm?section=tour&action=taliesinwest is a worthy stop, along with a visit to the Arizona Biltmore for nice visuals.

EdSails

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Wed, 12/3/03 5:10 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by bill voss

And Ed, that Knowing Mexican food comment would have the residents doubled over in laughter. California to Arizonans means the state where their summer resort, San Diego, is located. They figure you guys put sprouts on your burritos. The real food fight in AZ. is vs. the hated New Mexico mexican food advocates. They feel that's the only competition to AzMex food.

You mean they won't like my carne tofu authentico wraps?

EliseT

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Wed, 12/3/03 5:32 PM (permalink)
            Thanks everyone! Including the links is very helpful!

Bill: Is Alice Cooper's BBQ place in Detroit? In his autobiography, ME, ALICE, the Arizonians don't give him a very hearty homecoming, it's funny that he's a hometown hero now.

1bbqboy

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Wed, 12/3/03 5:40 PM (permalink)
              Except for the island of Tempe, the Valley of the Sun is more midwestern than the Midwest, with a dash of California escapees, who like elsewhere, prefer to remain invisible, lest they incur the wrath of the locals.(anyone who got there before them) I did my time, 85-89,
              before escaping to southern oregon.(heaven:missouri+california=oregon) The influx of people from cold climates,
              overwhelmingly from the heartland, gives a distinct flavor. That said, Arizona Mexican food is one of the anchors people can secure themselves to when they arrive, much as BBQ is to other locales. It lends an identity they can get on board with. And AzMex food is really good! None of those effete green vegetables you get further west. Charred, spicy, meat! yes!

1bbqboy

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Wed, 12/3/03 6:02 PM (permalink)
                Elsie,
                Don't know about Alice's BBQ. He lives by 44th and Camelback and our friend who lived nearby would see him show up at the grocery store to buy his sunday paper. He's a good, golf playing republican, perfect for east Phoenix. The big native stars of phoenix are Wayne Newton, Stevie Nicks, Lynda Carter, marty robbins, alice, and the meat puppets. Stevie Nicks story: Our friend James worked for the high end stereo store and went to install an outdoor system at stevie nicks' pool.
                She hated the sound of the Bose outdoor speakers and threw them in the pool! the wonders of Cocaine and 115 degree heat.
                As I said, Arizona is haunted! Jerome makes up for the downside of Arizona, however. http://www.azjerome.com/

EliseT

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Thu, 12/4/03 1:40 AM (permalink)
                  Funny you should tell that story...this particular band he's touring with, the Rotters, has a song about Stevie Nicks that her legal department did not find very humorous.

By the way, I saw the newfangled Meat Puppets (sans one troublesome Kirkwood) the last time they came around.

1bbqboy

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Thu, 12/4/03 2:05 AM (permalink)
                    I'm assuming from their "have your portrait painted with stevie" link, http://www.johannas-art.com/Portraits.htm , that they have a bit of an obsession with the gold dust woman. Pretty funny stuff. As you can tell, I feel a sense of humor is necessary for any descent into the valley of the sun.

EliseT

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Thu, 12/4/03 10:52 PM (permalink)

1bbqboy

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Thu, 12/4/03 11:50 PM (permalink)
                        It's a cool BBQ joint Alice has, but I still feel a trip to Lovejoy's would be bountiful.

EliseT

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Fri, 12/5/03 2:16 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by clothier

quote:
                          Originally posted by EliseT

I found it!

http://www.alicecooperstown.com/Menu/Menu_Ctown.htm

We'd love to have Alice back if you guys are done with him.

Well, he doesn't sing, "...I told her that I came from Phoenix city..." so he must have left his heart in Detroit.

EliseT

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Sun, 12/7/03 9:03 PM (permalink)
                            Update: We had a great dinner last night at Anthony's Fish Grotto in San Diego. It's a little touristy-looking, but has history, a great view of the ocean, and amazing seafood...and spiny lobsters are in season. They also will do the lobsters Puerto Nuevo style. Today we had a mediocre breakfast at the Harbor House on Coast Highway in Oceanside. Great pancakes, but the potatoes had huge chunks of raw green pepper in them, and the steak was just meat-flavored chewing gum.

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                              RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Sun, 12/7/03 11:14 PM (permalink)
                              If it's still there, Some Like It Hot, a southwest Phoenix restaurant owned by a Mexican family, merits consideration. Their Mexican food tasted so good though it is spiced very hot. The food shows no mercy for them, who, what, don't like VERY HOT!

EdSails

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Mon, 12/8/03 3:39 PM (permalink)
                                quote:

Update: We had a great dinner last night at Anthony's Fish Grotto in San Diego. It's a little touristy-looking, but has history, a great view of the ocean, and amazing seafood...and spiny lobsters are in season. They also will do the lobsters Puerto Nuevo style. Today we had a mediocre breakfast at the Harbor House on Coast Highway in Oceanside. Great pancakes, but the potatoes had huge chunks of raw green pepper in them, and the steak was just meat-flavored chewing gum.

Anthony's has the Puerto Neuevo Lobster? I am SSSOOOO there!

1bbqboy

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Mon, 12/8/03 4:07 PM (permalink)
                                  What's Puerto Neuevo style? You've got me hungry!

EliseT

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Mon, 12/8/03 7:35 PM (permalink)
                                    Puerto Nuevo is a little lobster fishing village just south of Rosarito on the Baja peninsula. They deep-fry their lobsters in the shell, then cut them in half and sometimes finish them on the grill.

I noticed Anthony's says theirs is served with a cilantro sauce. But I got the scallops, because I never order lobster when I'm not paying.

EdSails

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Thu, 12/11/03 6:20 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:

Puerto Nuevo is a little lobster fishing village just south of Rosarito on the Baja peninsula. They deep-fry their lobsters in the shell, then cut them in half and sometimes finish them on the grill.

I noticed Anthony's says theirs is served with a cilantro sauce. But I got the scallops, because I never order lobster when I'm not paying.

I don't know about you, elise..........but maybe I'm just used to women who only order lobster when I'm paying!

EliseT

RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Fri, 12/12/03 2:28 AM (permalink)
                                        Besides following my mother's admonition to order from the middle of the menu when being treated, I always felt like it sent the wrong message, like, "Now you know you're getting lucky!". Of course, after dating my fiance for six years, he probably feels like he's "getting lucky" when I cook his favorite pork chops.

spadoman

• Total Posts: 228
                                          RE: L.A to Phoenix to S.D. Mon, 12/15/03 11:10 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:

Sorry if this info is elsewhere...the SEARCH function isn't working. My boyfriend's band will be doing a mini-tour from Los Angeles to Phoenix then to San Diego, where I'll meet up with him. Any suggestions for Phoenix and for along the way?

Well, I gotta tell this to someone. I'm sittin' here laughing like crazy at myself!
                                          I read the thread and saw the SD. I thought it was for South Dakota! When I found out it was San Diego I had to laugh. Caught in the act of being myself!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com