The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Choice meats

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
Choice meats Mon, 12/1/03 6:05 AM (permalink)
What meat do you use in your chili? Ground or not?

My friend just told me that by adding beef chorizo, you can make your chili taste like Tommy Burgers.

I ususally just use ground beef myself, occasionally adding bacon if it's in the fridge.

howard8

• Total Posts: 355
    RE: Choice meats Mon, 12/1/03 10:55 AM (permalink)
    I know many people from various states and regions of the country have strong feelings related to what meat goes into a real chile. I opt for trying diffeent recipes and go for the taste. I like a spicy chile with a good amount of cumin and coriander. But in terms of meat, it really depends. Last week I put together a chile from a mix of specialty beans I received as a gift. I used a pound of ground beef in the mixture. The next day I thought the chile could use a little more meat so I added cubed rare roast beef which was hanging around in the fridge as a leftover from a couple of days prior. That amounted to another pound of meat. The next day I found two large links of leftover veal sausage. Cubed and into the chile they went. I brought the chile to my office and I estimate 2 and a half quarts was consumed by the staff within an hour to reviews like, Howard u can cook for me anytime.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
      RE: Choice meats Mon, 12/1/03 1:22 PM (permalink)
      Although I will gladly "play the part" of a Texan opposed to ground beef and beans (just to irritate people ), the fact of the matter is that when I make it at home, I usually use ground beef, and I add beans about half the time. I often start with a little bacon grease to brown the meat.

I sometimes use lean stew meat and cut into smaller chunks, just for variety, but I never mix chunks and ground beef. I guess I just don't like the "inconsistency".

I shy away from the "chili grinds" in the stores; I've had some bad experiences in the past with big chunks of gristle in those.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3541
        RE: Choice meats Mon, 12/1/03 1:37 PM (permalink)
        I cut chunks of beef into tiny cubes and usually also mix pork stew cut into small chunks also. The chorizo idea sounds good------I will try that next time.

EliseT

RE: Choice meats Tue, 12/2/03 3:58 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by howard8

I know many people from various states and regions of the country have strong feelings related to what meat goes into a real chile. I opt for trying diffeent recipes and go for the taste. I like a spicy chile with a good amount of cumin and coriander. But in terms of meat, it really depends. Last week I put together a chile from a mix of specialty beans I received as a gift. I used a pound of ground beef in the mixture. The next day I thought the chile could use a little more meat so I added cubed rare roast beef which was hanging around in the fridge as a leftover from a couple of days prior. That amounted to another pound of meat. The next day I found two large links of leftover veal sausage. Cubed and into the chile they went. I brought the chile to my office and I estimate 2 and a half quarts was consumed by the staff within an hour to reviews like, Howard u can cook for me anytime.

You may have invented a chili HERMAN! Just keep adding stuff to the pot every day and it might last forever!

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6202
            RE: Choice meats Tue, 12/2/03 12:27 PM (permalink)
            Who or What is Herman

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17797
              RE: Choice meats Tue, 12/2/03 1:00 PM (permalink)
              If I don't have venison I use round steak, cubed. Fortunately, it isn't often that I don't have venison in the freezer, and I just happen to have a new supply of venison right now.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                RE: Choice meats Tue, 12/2/03 2:00 PM (permalink)
                For that matter, what are Tommyburgers? I've used Chorizo to make pintos, but it gives a whole different taste. Never made chili with Chorizo and another meat. I see "chili grind" coarse ground beef but never buy it because it's always more expensive.
                I like to mix 2lb. ground beef and 1lb. ground pork for regular "american" chili, it gives a nice flavor. I also like to mix beans, say a pinto and red mixture, or white and red bean mixture. If I make cubed beef chili, it's red, with a thin sauce and no beans. Pork means a green chili stew, hold the beans.

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
                  RE: Choice meats Tue, 12/2/03 2:43 PM (permalink)
                  Isn't herman the sourdough starter that has been around forever !!!

dendan

• Total Posts: 479
                    RE: Choice meats Tue, 12/2/03 4:10 PM (permalink)
                    Herman is still alive??? Ah, remember him fondly!

On topic - we like using ground turkey.

dendan

RE: Choice meats Tue, 12/2/03 4:25 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by clothier

topic?

oh right.

do you use the combo white and dark grind? I'd think the white alone might taste a little dry.

and why turkey? is it a (god forbid) health thing?

Of course, health is a top priority...when/if possible...sort of...sometimes.
                      The turkey is just better..it seems....to us....

Sundancer7

RE: Choice meats Tue, 12/2/03 7:03 PM (permalink)
                        Quite frankly, I like fatty burger, sausage and some fat pork chops cut up real fine. From there on it is the Chef's choice on spices.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

lleechef

RE: Choice meats Tue, 12/2/03 7:27 PM (permalink)
                          Sundancer, the great guys (and especially the PJ's) out at Kulis Air National Guard Base decided it was cold enough (-10 today) for me to bring in a feed on Thursday. When I took a poll it was pretty unanimous: chili. I'm gonna use fatty burger, sausage and pork chops cuz that's what they requested. Along with jalapeno and cheddar cornbread cooked in a cast iron skillet (several of them). And yes, I'll include the forbidden in Texas and elsewhere....BEANS. That's what they want, that's what they get! Chefs have to be flexible! Oh, the feed will only be for about 200 since most of them are deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq.

EliseT

RE: Choice meats Tue, 12/2/03 8:12 PM (permalink)
                            Yeah, Herman was the food equivalent of a chain letter. It was a yeast sponge. Every 3 days you add more flour and other stuff, and it lives forever. Eventually you start giving bowls of it away like zucchini in the summer growing season. I was saying, the way Howard8 keeps adding meat to his chili, it may work the same way.

Tommy's Famous is a well-known chiliburger here in Los Angeles. We've discussed it on other chains. I personally am not that into their chili...it is too bland for me.

rumbelly

• Total Posts: 235
                              RE: Choice meats Wed, 12/3/03 12:11 AM (permalink)
                              I found this by accident as many great culinary treats are found. Get something cheap from the reduced bin like a blade or flank roast and braise it in beer rubbed with chili spices. Meanwhile make your vegetable based chili with onions, peppers, tomatoes etc. when the oven meat is done chill it and shred it into the veg mixture along with the liquid skimmed of the fat stuff. Let this mess develop in the fridge for a day, and add beans. I've had people that claim they don't like chili shovel this down.

dendan

RE: Choice meats Wed, 12/3/03 8:33 AM (permalink)
                                I read just recently that some cooks are adding chocolate to their chili. Might have to try that!

dendan

RE: Choice meats Wed, 12/3/03 8:59 AM (permalink)
                                  One or more Stern book is on my list for this year's gift giving/receiving. I'm hooked.

howard8

• Total Posts: 355
                                    RE: Choice meats Wed, 12/3/03 10:08 AM (permalink)
                                    I saved the last four ounces of the the chili (highly concentrated) and froze the result in a cryopac. I originally labled it "Howard's famous chile starter". After reading the rest of this thread, I relabled to read "Herman";do not throw out".

lleechef

RE: Choice meats Wed, 12/3/03 11:51 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by clothier

quote:
                                      Originally posted by lleechef

Sundancer, the great guys (and especially the PJ's) out at Kulis Air National Guard Base decided it was cold enough (-10 today) for me to bring in a feed on Thursday. When I took a poll it was pretty unanimous: chili. I'm gonna use fatty burger, sausage and pork chops cuz that's what they requested. Along with jalapeno and cheddar cornbread cooked in a cast iron skillet (several of them). And yes, I'll include the forbidden in Texas and elsewhere....BEANS. That's what they want, that's what they get! Chefs have to be flexible! Oh, the feed will only be for about 200 since most of them are deployed to Afghanistan and Iraq.

Do you have the the space to cook for 200 hundred in your kitchen? Do they let you use the base mess hall?

just curious about the logistics of your mission.

I'll use the mess hall.....I have a 6-burner Viking but I'm not making all that "mess" in my kitchen!

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
                                        RE: Choice meats Wed, 12/3/03 11:56 AM (permalink)
                                        I don't always use the same meats, but typically use a combination of sirloin, brisket and pork (none of it ground). I always use chocolate; a little for the cook, a little for the pot.

spadoman

• Total Posts: 228
                                          RE: Choice meats Mon, 12/15/03 6:21 PM (permalink)
                                          When I'm here around the house, I go to the butcher and get very coarse ground chuck. I add a little ground pork to that for the meat in my chili.

I have also had very good luck with sirloin steak and lean pork chops sliced thin. Brown em' first, then cook the chili.

Just brought home some chiles from New Mexico for chili making. Looking forward to a batch soon. It's cold and wintery here in the frozen tundra of Minnesota

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: Choice meats Mon, 12/15/03 10:40 PM (permalink)
                                            I'm not picky... Normally Ground Sirloin and spicy sausage... Depends really what's on sale or in the fridge at the time...

markeble

• Total Posts: 23
                                              RE: Choice meats Fri, 09/10/04 11:41 AM (permalink)
                                              For my favorite chili I trim and dice(USDA PRIME!) chuck roast, use lots of Penzeys cumin and pure ground ancho chile (for heat add ground chipotle, salt, onions and garlic, good beef stock thickened with a little corn meal and NO BEANS!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17797
                                                RE: Choice meats Fri, 09/10/04 12:25 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by lleechef

I can't believe I just stumbled on this today, some ten months after you posted it. I just want to say that I admire what you did for the Air Guard members. You must be one great gal -- even though you did use beans.

lleechef

RE: Choice meats Sat, 09/11/04 2:57 AM (permalink)
                                                  Hey! Hey! Michael Hoffman! They requested the chili with beans! Like I'm gonna butt heads with the guys on the ANG Base! Whatever those guys want to eat, they get it. Pans of cornbread with jalapenos. Pans of cinnamon rolls for 9AM break. I would take meals to those guys any day, any time, any weather.
                                                  We are thankful that all the ANG men and women have so far returned safely.
                                                  We have the best crew of PJ's on the planet!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com