Weekend in Fort Myers/Sanibel

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10071
2009/03/09 13:28:32 (permalink)

Weekend in Fort Myers/Sanibel

I recently spent a weekend in Fort Myers and Sanibel Island in Florida.  While growing up, my parents owned a home in Fort Myers, where they would spend the winter.  I spent enough time in the area that I have long considered it my second home.  After my father passed away in 1998, my mother decided there were too many memories and she sold the place.  This will be the first time I have been back in over a decade.

Because eating wasn't the main focus of the trip and it wasn't my usual gorgefest, I'm not going to do a typical trip report.  Here are some of the places I did eat at, though......

On the Saturday, I drove over to Sanibel and had breakfast at my old favorite place, The Sanibel Cafe

Located in the Tahitian Gardens shopping center, I was pleased to see it looked the same  Even though it is a small place, they do a nice job with the decorating and it is a very attractive place. 

Considering that Sanibel is one of the best places on earth for collecting sea shells, it is only fitting they have shells underneath the glass in the tables.

To drink, I started off with a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice and a fruit smoothie.

A big thumbs up for both!!!  Lots of things on the menu sounded good, but I went with the Sanibel style omelet, which means it comes with sauteed shimp and Havarti cheese.

The egg part of the omelet was extremely light and fluffy and considering I love shrimp and Havarti, this was an ideal breakfast for me.  When I first saw the omelet, I thought they may have just put all the shrimp on top of the omelet, but the inside

was loaded with shrimp, too.  The hash browns were nice and crispy, though it did seem weird to me that I came across a cold spot in the middle.

Two small pancakes came as a side with my omelet.

Instead of using syrup, I found the homemade raspberry jam was a perfect topping for the pancakes.

I was the first person in the door at 7:00AM and by the time I was leaving around 7:30, the place was mostly full.  I did see one couple sit down and then leave, huffing about not getting waited on.  But, they could not have been seated for anymore than 5 -7 minutes.  The service I received was excellent.  I was very pleased to see this place was just as good as I remember.

Sanibel Cafe
2007 Periwinkle Way
Sanibel, FL
239-472-5323

http://www.sanibelcafe.com/
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/03/09 13:36:46

72 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1